Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 11:45 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,208,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
I know what zipcars are (the company). I'm saying that here in this region, they are not popular even with 'city dwellers" inasmuch as those city dwellers have their own car / cars in their garages. Generally speaking (with a few exceptions), homes here have off street parking usually including a car port or garage.

As I noted, homes with 3 or 4 car garages are becoming increasingly popular.
Got you.

That is such a foreign concept to me

My entire lot size is under 1000 sqft. People pay $30,000 to buy a single parking space here. There are tradeoffs to everything. I hate driving...There are 15 restaurants within a five minute walk from my house. I can't picture having to drive to do something as simple as going out to eat. Then again, I am sure you can't picture living in a home that is the size of a 4 car garage.

Again - on the original topic, I think a 3-4 car garage is excessive. Unchecked consumerism has negatively impacted America in the past few decades. If you have a four car garage, you are GOING to fill it with stuff, regardless of if you need anything more or not.

Old 06-29-2010, 11:48 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,269,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Again - on the original topic, I think a 3-4 car garage is excessive. Unchecked consumerism has negatively impacted America in the past few decades. If you have a four car garage, you are GOING to fill it with stuff, regardless of if you need anything more or not.
No - I'd fill a 3 / 4 car garage with what they are intended for - vehicles. And, we do.

Old 06-29-2010, 11:50 AM

Quote:
No - I'd fill a 3 / 4 car garage with what they are intended for - vehicles. And, we do.
Sure, but why are 4 cars necessary? That is what this thread was addressing - living too big - having too much stuff...right? I bet if you went from 4 to 2 vehicles, in two months you wouldn't miss them one bit.

Old 06-29-2010, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Sure, but why are 4 cars necessary? That is what this thread was addressing - living too big - having too much stuff...right? I bet if you went from 4 to 2 vehicles, in two months you wouldn't miss them one bit.
Her SUV, My car, Our Pick-up. Then some might have the "toy" car (corvette etc) ++

Yes - we would miss them because of the things we do.

Old 06-29-2010, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Her SUV, My car, Our Pick-up. Then some might have the "toy" car (corvette etc) ++

Yes - we would miss them because of the things we do.
So you could cut down to two vehicles easily, but don't want to?

Do you understand what it means when this thread claimed 'Americans live too big?'

Americans own more 'stuff' than many other countries and also have higher personal debt than many other countries. Do you see that connection?

Old 06-29-2010, 12:03 PM

Quote:
So you could cut down to two vehicles easily, but don't want to?
No, we couldn't cut down - each serves its purpose - serves a specific role.

When my daughter was at home - there were 4 vehicles.

Then there is no reason to "cut down" either.

As for "living to big" - I disagree. If one has the means to pay for "whatever" - then there is no reason for them not to have "whatever".

If one wants the large home - so be it. A couple in Scottsdale, Arizona recently moved into their 15,000 sq ft home - just the two of them. More power to them

Old 06-29-2010, 12:14 PM

Quote:
No, we couldn't cut down - each serves its purpose - serves a specific role.

When my daughter was at home - there were 4 vehicles.

Then there is no reason to "cut down" either.

As for "living to big" - I disagree. If one has the means to pay for "whatever" - then there is no reason for them not to have "whatever".

If one wants the large home - so be it. A couple in Scottsdale, Arizona recently moved into their 15,000 sq ft home - just the two of them. More power to them
So is is smarter for that couple to own a 15,000 sqft home and ignore the upcoming environmental crisis while at the same time spending more money or live in a smaller home with a smaller footprint and invest the difference?

What do you think their children would appreciate more, an extra car to drive or an inheritance?

To clear something up, I am not a liberal/hippie by any means. While I care about the environment (as any self-respecting person should) I also care about retiring at a reasonable age (my goal is 40) and leaving my children a decent inheritance. Warren Buffet still lives in the home he bought in 1957 for $31,500.

I am not saying to live smaller simply to be able to brag about how simply you live, I am saying to live smaller to minimize your headaches (less upkeep/cleaning/yardwork/cost of repairs) and maximize your profit from value-added assets (invest the cost of your extra two cars - vehicles are nothing but liabilities).

Wouldn't you rather be on the golf course than mowing your lawn? I know I would.

Old 06-29-2010, 12:35 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,192,458 times
Who determines what is "too big" for me?

Thus far, I'm still the one who determines that, and that is as it should be.

Old 06-29-2010, 12:38 PM

61,734 posts, read 87,172,581 times
Quote:
Warren Buffet still lives in the home he bought in 1957 for $31,500.
BTW: His home, he bought in 1957 for 31,500 ( that's less than $300K in today's money) is 6,000-square-foot.
We could say, his house is big, but it is nothing compared to Bill Gates estate: his 66,000-square-foot home is built into a hillside on the edge of Lake Washington, near Seattle. It includes a 60-foot swimming pool with an underwater music system, a domed library with two “secret” bookcase doors and a 1,000-square-foot dining room.

Old 06-29-2010, 12:48 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,228,838 times
As far as cars go, each licenced driver in our house has one so when both of my kids are home there are 4 of them. My daugher has been away at college and just recently moved to her own apartment so that's one down. We don't park any of them in our garage however and fortunately we have an extra wide driveway and space in front of our house on the street.

I agree that "too big" is subjective and if you want to build whatever size on your own land (assuming it meets city codes if applicable) that's ok with me. I'm more comcerned with developers who seem to routinely make the decisions then try to sell the public on whatever they decide.

Recently in my town we shot down a proposed development plan to build 60+ homes of up to 12,000 sq ft each. 12,000 sq ft! I'm also down on those 3-4 level high density townhomes that take up very little land. I couldn't deal with a 2 level home much less one with 3-4 . They are small too, like one room on each level. But then I guess those homes aren't for me. They aren't for most people by the way the prices are coming down...hahah.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates