Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 05:52 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times

Advertisements

We're known the dangers of cigarette smoking for many decades, however young people are still picking up the habit. And the same goes for being overweight. I've heard many times that the young feel invulnerable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2009, 12:56 AM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
Some young people don't so much feel invulnerable as they simply don't care about longer-term consequences. If somewhat depressed, might not care if some action might have a dangerous or lethal outcome.
I don't remember feeling invulnerable when younger- just indifferent.

Old 05-19-2009, 01:51 AM

15,861 posts, read 21,441,250 times
A big difference is that now HIV is VERY treatable. Relatively few people make it to the AIDS stage anymore as compared to even 5 or 10 years ago and certainly as compared to the 80s. I volunteer with HIV/AIDS groups and know of 60 year olds who have been infected since the 1980s who are now down to just one pill a day and living full and healthy lives.

Of course people are still dying in the West, but those are the people who either don't keep up with treatment, have a poor support system (most often associated with the black male community), or who are not tested. Most people make it to a hospital for one reason or another before late stage AIDS is full blown. Also the fact that we test pregnant women and now have drugs to prevent transmittance to the infant have vastly improved our rates.

Old 05-19-2009, 08:00 AM

857 posts, read 1,422,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JACK SAWYER View Post
Why dont we hear as much as we used to about this?Is it under control or was it over blown to start with? I never see nothing to help prevent the spread no more?

I would say its mainly because we are not scared of it anymore. Sure its getting out of control in Africa but here in Western Civilization we don't worry about it. I mean look at Magic Johnson, the man has had HIV since forever and he looks just as healthy as anyone else in his age group. If we are not worried that it might actually kill us we are not to concerned about it, thus AIDS is old news while we cannot get enough about what may or may not cause cancer.

Old 05-19-2009, 04:34 PM

488 posts, read 1,025,248 times
Default true

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulnevrwalkalone View Post
I would say its mainly because we are not scared of it anymore. Sure its getting out of control in Africa but here in Western Civilization we don't worry about it. I mean look at Magic Johnson, the man has had HIV since forever and he looks just as healthy as anyone else in his age group. If we are not worried that it might actually kill us we are not to concerned about it, thus AIDS is old news while we cannot get enough about what may or may not cause cancer.
I cant argue that point...So true!

Old 05-19-2009, 10:23 PM

78,409 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulnevrwalkalone View Post
Go to the local bar, watch all the people smokiing cigarettes!

Old 05-20-2009, 03:57 AM
miu

AIDS is in the news again. The story is in the top ten most popular/emailed on the cnn.com site.

Elton John frustrated about attitudes towards AIDS - CNN.com

Quote:
Elton John: I'm doing a speech about the situation with AIDS in America basically, and how we need to address what's going on. We seem to be falling a little behind in America.

I find this disease very cyclical. Every 10 years or so, after we spend a lot of money trying to educate people -- a new generation of people -- and we tell them to have safe sex and to abstain sometimes but have safe sex, wear condoms, we find that after 10 years another whole group of people come along. And we have to start all over again, which is really, really frustrating because it takes money for education. And we find that if we could get into the schools at a grass-roots levels, which we do in places like Africa where we get to kids at a young age and we tell them about preventive measures for not getting HIV, we find the success rate is tremendous.

Old 05-20-2009, 08:00 PM

Default ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
AIDS is in the news again. The story is in the top ten most popular/emailed on the cnn.com site.

Elton John frustrated about attitudes towards AIDS - CNN.com
ITS strange that the media brings it back after a super star talks about it! I guess thats why some are good role models!

Old 05-20-2009, 09:08 PM
miu

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACK SAWYER View Post
ITS strange that the media brings it back after a super star talks about it! I guess thats why some are good role models!
Not really. AIDS is here to stay as a dangerous STD. So its presence is no longer actually newsworthy. And we all know how to avoid getting it.

I don't think that it's the job of the news media to have daily articles about AIDS posted in their headline sections. Or even in their health sections. And the lack of those news articles isn't going to affect people in a way that makes them practice safer sex.

Also, AIDS is not the only STD, disease or illness to be worried about. And sometimes, the more it is mentioned as in repeating old news, the impact hearing about it is lessened.

What would be newsworthy is be the periodic release of gathered data showing how prevalent AIDS is in certain populations or if there were new therapies or drug treatments for it.

Old 05-20-2009, 09:25 PM

Default ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Not really. AIDS is here to stay as a dangerous STD. So its presence is no longer actually newsworthy. And we all know how to avoid getting it.

I don't think that it's the job of the news media to have daily articles about AIDS posted in their headline sections. Or even in their health sections. And the lack of those news articles isn't going to affect people in a way that makes them practice safer sex.

Also, AIDS is not the only STD, disease or illness to be worried about. And sometimes, the more it is mentioned as in repeating old news, the impact hearing about it is lessened.

What would be newsworthy is be the periodic release of gathered data showing how prevalent AIDS is in certain populations or if there were new therapies or drug treatments for it.
I see your point...but aids is like a death sentance if you got it[maybe]because these drugs only pro long your death...magic is a rare case and i think it at most would extend a life no more than 10 or 12 years in a lot of cases?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates