Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 12:00 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,055,553 times

Advertisements

I think the child welfare folks are trying to step in and make sure he survives long enough to make sure he can make decisions on his own...with chemo his chances of surviving are 90% and without it then it's 5%. Currently the kid thinks he's healthy and cannot even read, he doesn't even understand what he has, what works or doesn't, or what chemo is because the only info he has is his mom. There's something more wrong then the family withholding treatment because they didn't give him a choice...they pretty much made sure to kept him dependent on them for information. They didn't tell him the options and pros/cons. He felt sick after one chemo treatment so they just told him that vitamins/water cured him and traditional medicine is "Evil".

Chemo is a poison that'll work more effectively on the tumors then on you, no one doubts that. However, at least it has a chance to work (sometimes a very good chance)...I'd rather do that then sitting there waiting to die. If anyone can find a better cure they can prove, it's a billion dollar idea that people will throw money at you to develop and test even in this economy. People are starting to get very effective alternatives to chemo, so far it targets the blood vessels that supply the cancers and the rarer cancers have proteins that are easily isolated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2009, 02:21 PM

2,544 posts, read 4,283,360 times
I'm not really sure where I stand on this. I can understand both points of view. The state definitely likes to get its fingers in all the pies it can. I'm not even sure that there is a Constitutional authority for the state to get involved with this. It's not like the parents want to completely deny treatment. They want to use an alternative treatment. Of course Drs will always say that without the treatment I recommend you will have no success. However, there are lots of cases where alternative therapies do work.

My thoughts are directed to our societal approach to death. People fear death, and many will do ANYTHING at all to avoid it. Others have a different attitude, and maybe would prefer just to enjoy the time they have here and accept that sometimes death comes untimely.

Just my ramblings.

ETA: For what it's worth, when I almost lost my daughter at age 1, I wanted every possible treatment to be used to save her.

Old 05-22-2009, 02:35 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,518,342 times
I think many of you are confused. Child Protective Services CANNOT in any way, shape or form remove a child from any home! EVER!

Only two entities have that ability. A State Trooper who believes a child in in imminent danger, and a Judge. Those are the ONLY people who can remove a child from a home.

The problem that occurs is, a State Trooper is not about to drive around with a child in his cruiser half the night. They call in a Child Protective Worker who immediately takes the child from the trooper into their system. Since they are on premise what the child is taken away, they get the blame, but they just do not have that right.

Equally throughout the process of child placement into social services (foster care) they must prove their case to a judge who makes a ruling, so again Child Protective Services never has the authority to control what happens to any child...it is always the decision of a Judge even if it is 4 AM in the morning.

Just letting you know what the legal rights are in these cases as I am a Foster Parent.

Old 05-22-2009, 05:24 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,628,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
I think the child welfare folks are trying to step in and make sure he survives long enough to make sure he can make decisions on his own...with chemo his chances of surviving are 90% and without it then it's 5%. Currently the kid thinks he's healthy and cannot even read, he doesn't even understand what he has, what works or doesn't, or what chemo is because the only info he has is his mom. There's something more wrong then the family withholding treatment because they didn't give him a choice...they pretty much made sure to kept him dependent on them for information. They didn't tell him the options and pros/cons. He felt sick after one chemo treatment so they just told him that vitamins/water cured him and traditional medicine is "Evil".
While I get what you are saying, have you ever personally been through Chemo? It @#&@(*#&@(* SUCKS!!!!!!!!!

You don't have to have a Masters or even be literate to shy away from pain and things that hurt you. This kid has had chemo once before, and he didn't like it. All animals have that capability, and no one should force someone to be in pain against their will; no matter the outcome.

I can tell you if I am told "either do chemo and live for a few more years, or don't take it and die in 6 months"; you can better believe that those 6 months will be golden.

Anyway, since this kid has been through it, I personally feel it is HIS decision. Not to mention the religious objection, which is supposed to prevent this type things ( the law in essence trying to steal her child).

I am 100% behind the parents in this situation. The courts need to STAY out of it!

Old 05-22-2009, 05:46 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,678,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post
While I get what you are saying, have you ever personally been through Chemo? It @#&@(*#&@(* SUCKS!!!!!!!!!

You don't have to have a Masters or even be literate to shy away from pain and things that hurt you. This kid has had chemo once before, and he didn't like it. All animals have that capability, and no one should force someone to be in pain against their will; no matter the outcome.

I can tell you if I am told "either do chemo and live for a few more years, or don't take it and die in 6 months"; you can better believe that those 6 months will be golden.

Anyway, since this kid has been through it, I personally feel it is HIS decision. Not to mention the religious objection, which is supposed to prevent this type things ( the law in essence trying to steal her child).

I am 100% behind the parents in this situation. The courts need to STAY out of it!
I'm sensing a dichotomy here...

It seems as though those of us who have either experienced - or had a near loved one experience - chemotherapy and radiation are tending to gravitate toward the boy and his mom.

Those who have not been closely affected by cancer/chemo/radiation seem to be gravitating toward the state.

My mom recently died of cancer, after battling it for 3 years. The chemotherapy was pure hell, and she ended up dying anyway. So I guess I tend to lean toward giving a choice to the people who have to suffer through receiving chemo.

Old 05-22-2009, 06:47 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,226,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenTap View Post
I think many of you are confused. Child Protective Services CANNOT in any way, shape or form remove a child from any home! EVER!

Only two entities have that ability. A State Trooper who believes a child in in imminent danger, and a Judge. Those are the ONLY people who can remove a child from a home.

The problem that occurs is, a State Trooper is not about to drive around with a child in his cruiser half the night. They call in a Child Protective Worker who immediately takes the child from the trooper into their system. Since they are on premise what the child is taken away, they get the blame, but they just do not have that right.

Equally throughout the process of child placement into social services (foster care) they must prove their case to a judge who makes a ruling, so again Child Protective Services never has the authority to control what happens to any child...it is always the decision of a Judge even if it is 4 AM in the morning.

Just letting you know what the legal rights are in these cases as I am a Foster Parent.
Actually CPS has an awful lot of control. A referral is made and an investigation ensues if that investigation is valid then there is a detention hearing. The children may be removed from the home and held until the detention hearing. At any given time the Judge can issue what is called a pick up order. Many court orders will state at the bottom of the order, by any means necessary including the police. This means that if the child is a runner then a big old warrant should come up on the screen with a name search. Problems arise in the investigation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates