Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 07:09 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,948,301 times

Advertisements

Much of the reason I have been so happy is because I have not bought anything on credit or carried a credit card balance since 1971, when I paid off my Datsun 510. . I believe credit has largely destroyed many people's prospects for happiness. Money isn't everything----unless you're in debt. Then it is, and then it will suck the life out of you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2009, 07:14 AM

3,088 posts, read 5,353,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Much of the reason I have been so happy is because I have not bought anything on credit or carried a credit card balance since 1971, when I paid off my Datsun 510. . I believe credit has largely destroyed many people's prospects for happiness. Money isn't everything----unless you're in debt. Then it is, and then it will suck the life out of you.
Interesting. .. I hadn't thought of it, but "me too". . . the house has been paid off for years, and the last car I bought was purchased with cash. I have a credit card, but do not "need" to use it, not because I have plenty of money, but because I live within my means, and this is VERY IMPORTANT to me. I have gone so far as to draft an advance care medical directive that will have the effect of NOT creating debt just to "keep me alive". . . it's that important!

Old 06-03-2009, 07:18 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,446,771 times
Exceptionally happy.

Made some good choices (or lucked out!) and [1] married the right woman, [2] had a couple of really good kids, [3] had a great career with the federal government (as did my wife), and [4] we're enjoying the hell out of retirement.

I wish things could be better for our kids. Both are working like dogs to get by (our son moved back home, and I know it bothers him). We help in any way we can, and consider ourselves fortunate to be able to do so. Just in the last couple of months things have started looking much better for them both, and that of course adds to my happiness.

I guess I'm very content. It's a nice feeling.

Old 06-03-2009, 07:36 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,080,627 times
To be honest, not so much lately.

Old 06-03-2009, 08:00 AM

819 posts, read 1,592,173 times
I am very happy with my life. I am married to a wonderful husband, have 3 great children, one grandson and hopefully more will come. My husband was/is great with money. I'm like Scarlette, I'll worry about tomorrow later! But, we are both retired, our house and vehicles are paid for. We are not having to touch our 401 (yet) and live just like we always have - which is not extravagant at all - but are able to do most everything we have on our "bucket list." I think my only regret is really not going to college.

My mother was a single mother of 7 children and as the older kids graduated from hs, they got jobs and helped with the younger ones. Which made all of us better people and who we are today. (When one of us does something that we KNOW our mother would not have approved of, it's like - Lord I hope Janie missed this.)

My children all went to college and only one had student loans, etc., but that's because he ended up in Julliard for a PhD and we still had two others to send to college.

So, I'm very happy with my life - not many regrets and still don't know what I want to be when I grow up.

Old 06-03-2009, 08:28 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,809,255 times
After living in a thatched roof hut in the Bolivian Amazon for a year a decade ago I realize I have a hell of a good life now, especially when compared to the majority of the people in the world. I've got a degree and a stable job, a house, wife and kids, two good cars and all the trappings of a "good" middle class life and might even have it all paid off in 20 more years.

But I can't say I'm happy. In fact, the people I lived with in Bolivia seemed more happy than the people I live around now. Life feels hollow and unfulfilling. Luckily I have lots of pills from the doctor to make that feeling go away....

Old 06-03-2009, 10:14 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,948,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
After living in a thatched roof hut in the Bolivian Amazon for a year a decade ago I realize I have a hell of a good life now, especially when compared to the majority of the people in the world.
Sorry, but a "majority of the people in the world" are not living in a thatched roof hut in the jungle.

I'm also sorry you spent a whole year of your life in a simple uncomplicated environment and did not learn anything at all about how people find happiness and joy and fulfillment in their lives without MastarCards. When I paid $20 a month rent for a house in Paraguay, I did not get the feeling that my neighbors here in America have a "hell of a good life" compared to my neighbors in Paraguay. In fact, I didn't really look forward to coming back here at all.

Let me guess. You were a missionary who went down there to convert them to your way of life, and had a vested interest in your prejudice that their life was inferior.

Old 06-03-2009, 10:31 AM

8,289 posts, read 23,105,227 times
Quote:
Let me guess. You were a missionary who went down there to convert them to your way of life, and had a vested interest in your prejudice that their life was inferior.
Something tells me you didn't vote for Bush.

Old 06-03-2009, 11:17 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,953,872 times
Quote:
Much of the reason I have been so happy is because I have not bought anything on credit or carried a credit card balance since 1971, when I paid off my Datsun 510.

Wow, that's awesome.

Old 06-03-2009, 11:56 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,809,255 times
Quote:
Sorry, but a "majority of the people in the world" are not living in a thatched roof hut in the jungle.

I'm also sorry you spent a whole year of your life in a simple uncomplicated environment and did not learn anything at all about how people find happiness and joy and fulfillment in their lives without MastarCards. When I paid $20 a month rent for a house in Paraguay, I did not get the feeling that my neighbors here in America have a "hell of a good life" compared to my neighbors in Paraguay. In fact, I didn't really look forward to coming back here at all.

I was a 20 something adventure starved guy who traveled across South America for the hell of it and happened to make some friends in Bolivia so I stayed for a while. And I don't regret it. But I'm confused...you agree with me but I am also stupid for it? Why do you have a burr up your ***** anyway?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates