Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2009, 07:10 AM

295 posts, read 667,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimatetruth View Post
That's not a very strong point....it's like asking "if the only point is to procreate, then why would they still have a desire to enjoy watching the sunset?"
How are a sunset and procreation related? It's very obvious how sex drive and procreation are related.

Old 06-19-2009, 07:20 AM

179 posts, read 537,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaelgirl View Post
Brilliant post! And from someone who is not just conjecturing about what life might be like without children.

And amazing point that people who cannot have children still desire sex. Very true. If the only point is to procreate then why would they still have a sex drive?
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaelgirl View Post
How are a sunset and procreation related? It's very obvious how sex drive and procreation are related.

the goal is to Procreate....not sex. sex is something people do for enjoyment (like watching the sunset as an example among other things) as well as a method used for creating offsprings (not the only method by the way)

nobody ever said that sex is the only point. i said that procreation is the point.

Also, i want to be clear.....I'm ALL 'for' someone choosing not to have kids. it's their business and that's it. all i'm saying is that IMO the ultimate purpose of humanity is to reproduce and not having kids (which can be a good thing) is against the norm. that's all. :-)

Old 06-19-2009, 11:20 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,827,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post

If you're not dying, come in and work. That's what I do.
Great, so its people like you that come into work sick and get everyone else and their families sick. You don't get a special award for coming to work sick, nor can you take your accumulated sick days to the grave with you. Trust me, I would rather help do a sick coworker's work for a day or two rather than catch whatever sickness they have.

Old 06-19-2009, 11:22 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,827,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
My husband and I do not want children-ever. We've always felt this way but made the firm decision when he came home from Iraq. We are the only married couple inside of our circle of friends without children.

When I told an acquaintance that we weren't having children, she gasped and said "Oh my God, that is so abnormal. Is there something wrong with you?"

Why is it so hard for some people to comprehend that in this day and age, there are people who don't want kids?

What are your opinions?
My only opinion is that I wonder why people get married if they don't plan to have a family? I could see two people that fall in love want to be together, but if you don't plan on having a family, what is the point of having an official marriage? Why not just live together or whatever?

Old 06-19-2009, 11:34 AM

179 posts, read 537,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
My only opinion is that I wonder why people get married if they don't plan to have a family? I could see two people that fall in love want to be together, but if you don't plan on having a family, what is the point of having an official marriage? Why not just live together or whatever?
well, what's the point of getting married 'even if' you want to have a family? it's not like you can't have a kid without being married.....

The reason for the above is likely the same reason people who do 'not' want kids still would like to get married.
(i've been told, and i guess i would agree, that it's the 'bond' that marriage creates that makes it vital/appealing.)

Old 06-19-2009, 11:34 AM

199 posts, read 653,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoLoveLost View Post
I think it is one of the smartest moves a couple can make.
I don't think it is the "smartest move" a couple can make, just a move that couples make.If they don't want kids, it really doesn't affect anyone else and those with kids should not go around judging them.

Old 06-19-2009, 11:35 AM

1,474 posts, read 2,919,214 times
Quote:

Because we love our spouse and wanted marriage. There are also legal rights granted to married people that aren't given to people just living together. Marriage to me doesn't equal kids. This was kind of a silly question.

Some people never want to marry but have kids. Some people never want to marry and NOT have kids. Some people want to marry and have kids. Some people want to marry and NOT have kids. It really is pretty simple.

Old 06-19-2009, 03:48 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,676,881 times
Quote:
Great, so its people like you that come into work sick and get everyone else and their families sick. You don't get a special award for coming to work sick, nor can you take your accumulated sick days to the grave with you. Trust me, I would rather help do a sick coworker's work for a day or two rather than catch whatever sickness they have.
Really? Because I've been around sick people, and didn't get sick myself. Must have a strong constitution.

You can get paid for "sick time" where I work, where they've cut back hours, you just use your "sick time" to get you back up to 40. If you're struggling to complete your own 8 pallets, do you really want to add your co-workers 8 pallets to that? That's the average--though of course there are people who can do more--like me--or less. You've just doubled your work load.

Old 06-19-2009, 04:42 PM

2,631 posts, read 5,458,207 times
Quote:
Really? Because I've been around sick people, and didn't get sick myself. Must have a strong constitution.

You can get paid for "sick time" where I work, where they've cut back hours, you just use your "sick time" to get you back up to 40. If you're struggling to complete your own 8 pallets, do you really want to add your co-workers 8 pallets to that? That's the average--though of course there are people who can do more--like me--or less. You've just doubled your work load.
yep, always with the superman stories. "i don't get sick." "I can do more pallets than anyone else at work." "i can defeat an armed gunman when i'm barefoot, pregnant, and have my hands tied behind my back."

good luck trying to make yourself an example of public policy.

Old 06-19-2009, 05:21 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,029,434 times
Quote:

I'd rather have a double work load for a day or two at work versus catching what my sick coworker has and suffering for weeks. You are doing no one a favor by coming into work sick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates