Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 08:02 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,650,771 times

Advertisements

I'm sorry but I have to go against the grain here. I admire you all for your positive attitude but there comes a time to open your eyes and look around. Things are getting bad. I see America falling fast.

Your govt is getting more corrupt by the day and us peons have no say.
Corporate greed has ruined the economy.
Political correctness, cant mention Christmas anymore, cant wear a religious symbol or get expelled from school.
Media can't mention the religion or culture of the criminal for fear of insulting some one or retaliation.
Your govt welcomes illegal aliens who are breaking the law.
The most embarrassing health care system in the modern world.
The pigs have become more and more aggressive and police brutality is at an all time high.
This govt is so corrupt, crooked and such liars and us peons have no say.
Wages have fallen due to illegal immigration and more and more Americans are living below the poverty level.
Little to no help for our own hungry and homeless but your govt finds lots of money to give to other countries.
Companies are cutting benefits and wages to employees.

These are just a few I rattled off the top of my head..

In the entire history of the world, no civilization has been able to survive. None! The most powerful and longest lasting was the Roman Empire. Where are they now? Are things any different today? I duno..........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2009, 08:32 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,948,301 times
We will need to go to war against another of the Axis of Evil. That will not make us richer, but will make us feel smug and virtuous about being poorer. In hard times, a good war is always as refreshing as a cup of tea, even if it's only a cup of hot water.

Old 06-19-2009, 08:50 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,230,339 times
Yes, well, most of our problems are caused by humans and as humanity keeps on growing I doubt that our troubles will decrease.
And closing our eyes for the situation we are in will not help us either.
Only the truth will set us free.
Unfortunately it also hurts.
Which explains why not only the majority of the people, but also the rich & powerful minority, keeps denying the truth.

Old 06-19-2009, 12:14 PM

4,116 posts, read 3,146,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesheba View Post
it just seems like so much bad stuff is happening and getting worse- weather, killings, torture,etc....
everything bad is getting even more 'badder'!!!
do you think the world will truly end like some are saying?

Yes, the world will truly end like some are saying but WE DO NOT KNOW WHEN OR HOW.

So, while we ARE still here kicking and breathing we should focus on POSITIVE THOUGHTS and leave all the NEGATIVITY BEHIND US

Go live your life and forget about all the crap on TV and the local news, that is all EVIL. That's why when it comes on I change the channel, I don't want to hear bad stuff happening I just want to be HAPPY while I am still here you want POSITIVITY in your life because if not it will drive you mad

So no more talk about killings and torture and war go have a drink with a buddy and have fun

Old 06-19-2009, 03:09 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,052,550 times
Things happen in cycles, that which expands too much must contract to a more sane level. Many people and businesses were pretty much just squeaking by with credit barely making the service charges of the debt...now we have gotten the shake out that has pretty much ended those who were. Hopefully it's a big lesson for those who rely on debt to furnish their lifestyle and live in their means, and get rid of crappy businesses that were just existing on people wanting to buy things.

You never know what's going to happen, if you predict the end of the world or civilization it's not like you get to brag about it. Just enjoy life, plan for predictable emergencies (I was a boy scout, be prepared), and if something big enough happens be sure you have good seats to watch it go down. If you spend your life shouting everything will be ending, or looking for signs it will and spending all that effort, you will have never lived life to the fullest...and in the end when nothing has happened you predicted no one will care. Even your grand kids will just paw through your stuff looking for something to sell.

Old 06-19-2009, 05:49 PM

458 posts, read 1,355,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesheba View Post
it just seems like so much bad stuff is happening and getting worse- weather, killings, torture,etc....
everything bad is getting even more 'badder'!!!
do you think the world will truly end like some are saying?
I think you are reading way to much into it. I actually refuse to watch the news, yet I am up on all world facts. Why is that? Because I read it online, watching the news for me is like allowing someone to constantly wag their tongue in my ear about bad news. At least online I can read about what I want, and reading about a stabbing does not make the list.

Old 06-19-2009, 06:07 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,948,301 times
Right. I can read 20 times as fast as I can listen.

Old 06-19-2009, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Right. I can read 20 times as fast as I can listen.
But you can pick and choose what you want to read

Old 06-19-2009, 06:38 PM

3,088 posts, read 5,353,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belinda_Cooperstone1 View Post
But you can pick and choose what you want to read
AND. . . you can pick and choose what you want to "watch". . .

The citizens of this country made a dramatic governmental change last November. . . It is time to allow the people (and the policies that they stand for) a chance, to see if the excesses of the past, the foolishness of preemptive war, the gutting of regulations that have allowed the richest of the rich to get even more wealthy, while the poorest of the poor cannot survive. Most of us are somewhere in the middle, and there are many vocal factions out there trying to scare us away from change, but change we need, and I would much rather see it happen through "legal process" than through revolution. It's time to give Obama his head. . . he is smart, he is well intentioned, and he is pragmatic. I do not agree with all of his decisions, but I am not privy to much of the information that he has, and I am not familiar with the "process" in the way that he is. . . and neither are you! We now have hope for REAL CHANGE! We need to make sure that our senators and representatives know that the ONLY WAY to control health care costs is to allow a goverment sponsored health care insurance option. We MUST educate our young people, even if we have to pay higher taxes to do it. Ane solutions that included additional taxes, or the ending of tax loopholes for the very wealthy, is the ONLY WAY to do that without further hurting those who are already struggleing! We need to support the small business that actually produces goods and services. . . not the CEO's of financial institutions and HMO's!

Old 06-19-2009, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cap1717 View Post
AND. . . you can pick and choose what you want to "watch". . .

The citizens of this country made a dramatic governmental change last November. . . It is time to allow the people (and the policies that they stand for) a chance, to see if the excesses of the past, the foolishness of preemptive war, the gutting of regulations that have allowed the richest of the rich to get even more wealthy, while the poorest of the poor cannot survive. Most of us are somewhere in the middle, and there are many vocal factions out there trying to scare us away from change, but change we need, and I would much rather see it happen through "legal process" than through revolution. It's time to give Obama his head. . . he is smart, he is well intentioned, and he is pragmatic. I do not agree with all of his decisions, but I am not privy to much of the information that he has, and I am not familiar with the "process" in the way that he is. . . and neither are you! We now have hope for REAL CHANGE! We need to make sure that our senators and representatives know that the ONLY WAY to control health care costs is to allow a goverment sponsored health care insurance option. We MUST educate our young people, even if we have to pay higher taxes to do it. Ane solutions that included additional taxes, or the ending of tax loopholes for the very wealthy, is the ONLY WAY to do that without further hurting those who are already struggleing! We need to support the small business that actually produces goods and services. . . not the CEO's of financial institutions and HMO's!
I agree
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates