Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 09:55 PM

45 posts, read 87,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post

There are any number of books written by CIA types who admit to intervening in foreign elections, starting riots in foreign nations, flooding foreign countries with bogus money to destroy that countries currency, empires are not always going to look the same throughout our history, but the end result usually remains the same. There are ongoing discussions that allude to the fear of the dollar losing it's key currency status, this will be interesting to watch, it will also demonstrate the power of empire to create consensus with the "big stick".
Could you name me a book that mention such activities. So much for promoting freedom and democracy abroad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2009, 10:44 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
The USA has seven unattached or overseas territories and states, with populations over 50,000 each. France also has seven, Britain has only one, and I don't think any other country has more than one. I guess that makes us tied for first as an imperial power. (I arbitrarily set 50,000 population, so as to exclude remote islands that are uninhabited or with insufficient population to be self governing.) Portugal might have two, depending how you define "overseas".

Old 08-09-2009, 11:13 PM

5,762 posts, read 11,367,944 times
Denmark has the largest "overseas empire" in size, Greenland. Portugal was one of the leading empire nations because of it's former maritime power, but those colonies are long gone. I don't know how the Azores and Cape Verde Islands are classified (territories or actual offshore provinces?). Spain has two walled in city-colonies on the coast of Morocco. Russia's land empire is mostly intact from the era of the Czars, but they still have one unattached enclave republic (Kalaningrad, formerly part of Germany - East Prussia) which sits between Poland and Lithuania.

I think France wins the prize for the most far flung empire. Society Islands in the South Pacific, French Guiana on the northern coast of South America, Martinique, a few islands off the coast of Atlantic Canada, Corsica (Island in the Mediterranean).

Old 08-09-2009, 11:19 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
yes, in decline.

Old 08-09-2009, 11:32 PM

Portugal's Azores and Madeira are the equivalent of our Hawaii, and Portugal does not retain any other overseas lands. France also has some overseas departments, equivalent to Hawaii, and also some lesser territories. I used population as a basis, not territory. Russia has no detached territories, except offshore islands, comparable to Nantucket and Key West. Spain has the Canary and Balearic Islands, equivalent to Hawaii, and also a couple of enclaves on the coast of North Africa, that are actually visible from Spain proper.

Old 08-10-2009, 05:36 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,382,997 times
WWII was over in 1946. We still have troops in Germany and Japan. Our founding fathers are rolling over in their grave for our "policing" the world.

The idea was to not have a standing army. Contrary to popular belief, the use of a standing army isn't for protection, its generally used for population control. Think about it, if the majority of the American people were so upset with the government that we wanted to physically take it back, how quick would the army be called in to quell the revolt?

Now I know we need some military, and many of the technological advances to stay ahead of the curve on weaponry. But that doesn't mean we need the size of the military that we have, and it doesn't mean we should be staying in countries for decades after the war is over.

Sure seems like a Empire to me.

Old 08-10-2009, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Our founding fathers are rolling over in their grave
" . . . Slave woman on top!" --- Chris Rock
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates