Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 02:30 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Many (if not most) of the homeless poor have mental illness. These are not the able-bodied people we are generally talking about.
I just had girlfriends who kicked me out....or the couple who sold the home they were living in, and the buyer gave them TWO WEEKS to move out. Of course, I had to move out too...or the room mate who changed the locks on the door.

Problem is: I didn't have my name on any paperwork in most of those cases, even if I did contribute funds to pay for the place. And now, I live paycheck to paycheck. If my check was cut back 8 hours--like some of my coworkers HAVE been cut--I couldn't afford my usual bills. And the place I'm renting can "go away" just like that. I'm one paycheck away from living on the street, simply put.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2009, 02:35 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsativ View Post
No, most lazy unskilled people go into HR
Or management...

Old 06-24-2009, 02:39 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,661,046 times
Default They call that the working "poor"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I just had girlfriends who kicked me out....or the couple who sold the home they were living in, and the buyer gave them TWO WEEKS to move out. Of course, I had to move out too...or the room mate who changed the locks on the door.

Problem is: I didn't have my name on any paperwork in most of those cases, even if I did contribute funds to pay for the place. And now, I live paycheck to paycheck. If my check was cut back 8 hours--like some of my coworkers HAVE been cut--I couldn't afford my usual bills. And the place I'm renting can "go away" just like that. I'm one paycheck away from living on the street, simply put.
There are probably a lot more in today's economy. My daughter is probably in the same circumstances you are. When she was living in Florida and working at a Florida retail chain, the people who didn't get pink slips, got their hours cut from 40 hours to 35 hours. That may not mean a lot to some people, but for others that can mean the different between paying the rent or not being able to pay it.

I hear you.

Old 06-24-2009, 02:52 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
TKramer, have you ever heard of someone who is homeless, poor, actually working their way out of being poor, and homeless and worked hard enough to see their entire life change?
I know dozens of them, and my life is richer for it.

Quote:
I generally feel sorry for the Poor and Homeless , but I often wonder how many of them have ended up that way because of irresponsibility and utter stupidity IE: Alchohol, drug, gambling addictions ....,
Many people with addictions are self-medicating a mnetal illness. How irresponsible to call that "utter stupidity."

Old 06-24-2009, 03:02 PM

1,310 posts, read 3,052,303 times
Quote:
Paying rent, living paycheck to paycheck, getting evicted after losing a job or being laid off...
No one has a clue who you are responding to . Please include the post to what you are responding toward.

Old 06-24-2009, 04:04 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,676,657 times
You answered your own question, "since when did work become something you can't enjoy? You like your job.....Therefore you can't seem to relate to any other views regarding work.

"I know this sounds harsh", not really, it just sounds incredibly subjective. Did you think that most if not all jobs can be enjoyed? The lack of personal responsibility has been at the top of every newscast for months as we watch the circus of wall street scoundrels screwing the public and their shareholders with abandon, is that what you were refering to?

Maybe you were castigating those who are seeking government "help" right now, Ford, Chrysler, and GM? were they the ones you were talking about, who expect someone else to, "solve their problems"?

Before you shout the virtues of working, you probably would like to know that the upper class, your "betters", don't seem to be in agreement with your work ethic. I think GregW got it right, until we see a different paradigm of work I wouldn't recomend pumping it out to hard, after all, a wise old man once said, "if work had any virtue or pleasure, the rich certainly would have kept it for themselves".........

Old 06-24-2009, 04:08 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I know dozens of them, and my life is richer for it.

Many people with addictions are self-medicating a mnetal illness. How irresponsible to call that "utter stupidity."
I don't know. I agree with you...but at the same time, we let too many people use the victim card to excuse their lack of discipline. Frankly, it's just easier to do what feels good all the time, and I think there are tons of adults who are just giant children.

Yeah, there are probably a lot of people who are victim to biology or some uncontrollable circumstance, but I really don't believe that is the majority of people.

Old 06-24-2009, 07:15 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
Quote:
Paying rent, living paycheck to paycheck, getting evicted after losing a job or being laid off...
Meaning??????

Old 06-24-2009, 09:12 PM

44 posts, read 77,164 times
That means ... people in poverty- stricken neighborhoods (rural backroads, inner city ghettos) are more lazy, dumb and unskilled?
Or the kids in broken families?

Not true!!! it depends on personal choice AND opportunities/circumstances

It´s OUR responsibility too, as a member of my society I must be ashamed how cold and merciless we blame those who have hard struggle

There are about 10% up to 20% more employable people than jobs in our societioees. They aren´t all lazy, uneducated and unskilled.

And you must differ between lazy, and even about" laziness" you can discuss hours ... What is "lazy"? i.e: Is a poor guy who could only join in the army or coalmines, but refuses it, lazy?

Would the young academic, who grew up with educated parents in a middle class nighorhood, took a good school degree, working for a big company, chose the mines or the army, if he lost his well situated job? If not -do you call him a "lazy uneducated"?

Old 06-24-2009, 09:37 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,325,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
There are probably a lot more in today's economy. My daughter is probably in the same circumstances you are. When she was living in Florida and working at a Florida retail chain, the people who didn't get pink slips, got their hours cut from 40 hours to 35 hours. That may not mean a lot to some people, but for others that can mean the different between paying the rent or not being able to pay it.

I hear you.
That cut in hours probably affects her benefits, too. Many times the employer will cut hours so they don't have to pay for health insurance premiums. The worker who has to pay his/her own health insurance premiums completely has lost more than just 5 hours of pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates