Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2009, 01:11 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,557,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Again, loans mean you're taking on a debt load before even knowing that you'll earn enough to repay it. Loans=bad.

This is true, I'm paying back a student loan for a field I'm not employed in.

Last edited by virgode; 06-27-2009 at 01:12 PM.. Reason: correction
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2009, 01:23 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,019,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatis View Post
I kind of think that as a whole people have gotten more stupid, lazy and unskilled. instead of really trying to learn something, we are supposed to pick a narrow field and know everything there is to know about it, or as they call it: to "specialize". But realy this hinders people from knowing a wide scope of anything which is not a step in a good direction. And as far as skilled goes, I am starting to notice that there are more adults in school in persuit of degrees and certificates. Problem with this is that the college degree is about to become the new GED. As in it's about to be the norm for any kind of work that Americans would be willing to do. This trend is starting to show, everyone has to have some kind of furthered education of certificate to do anything worthwhile. And as far as lazy goes, compared to how things were done back in the day, even many of the hardest of today's workers have it easy. People think they work hard because they go to their call center job, or their thimble factory job all day every day; but could anyone here imagone plowing 100 acres by driving the plow behind a horse? Or building a house from raw lumber and material, having to make each cut with a hand saw? Even the hard workers of today are relitively lazy compared to what those before us had to do, so I'm not really all that sympathetic to all of today's "hard workers".

I will agree that many of the people on the dole probably are dumb, uneducated and lazy, but I think they are just the reflection of the trend. But I think that a lot of people are throwing in the towel on work because it's not even hardly worth it any more. Work used to stand for something and mean something, now it's just a streamlined system of how to get more crap. Jobs are a joke anymore; it's not even worth starting to climb the ladder. And finally, I think that there are those who see it as "why invest in a sinking ship?"
What a load of judgemental bullcrap. God you must enjoy shouting down from your ivory tower. Everything you write is most degrading and discouraging. History shows that people have never got worse or less skilled or lazier, times have just changed and society has always gone around in circles. Read some history books. Even Socrates was saying in his day:

"Children today are tyrants. They contradict their parents, gobble their food, and tyrannize their teachers.”

I have just come out of university with a degree and now am on the jobmarket looking hard to get into a position I'm interested in and yes I have to claim state allowances to actually bloody survive thanks before I get my new job in 2 months, then I will be paying taxes and contributing to society. No one needs your judgemental stereotyping of society.

Either that or I would be on the streets. Come face to face with me and tell me I am lazy, unskilled, and stupid. Society and life in general is what you make of it. People should be allowed to live how they want and learn their lessons from experience.

I really get the idea that most of these "great debates" are just a cesspit for losers with big heads and opinions to rant about society and "the downward trend" and how "it was better in my day" and all that garbage, without a shred of insight, understanding or intelligence. Thanks "Cleatis" for contributing to the scum.

Last edited by RichardW; 06-27-2009 at 01:30 PM.. Reason: typos

Old 06-27-2009, 02:13 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,936,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
Some friends were over at the house the other day and we were talking about the underclass (poor people). One of them works for social services and has got harsher in her tone about the disadvantaged as she has experienced more of the so called real people. She says, "it almost makes you want to vote republican"

The general feeling of our group was that 90% of the underclass (poor people) are a combination of lazy, stupid or unskilled. It was mostly their fault not society or business (employers). 20-30 years ago one could be a lazy uneducated person and do alright because there were plenty of jobs for everyone in manufacturing and strong unions, today, if you have no skills you will be poor forever. Agree?
To a point.

Some poor are very bright people who went to college, running up hundreds of thousands of dollars in student loans in the process, getting degrees in sociology or dramatic arts. These highly educated people are stuck working at Starbucks for tips. That glass jar with a few dollars and change? It's the tip jar, please give generously.

Some of the underclass don't have a clue to what it means by having to be at a certain place at a certain time every single day. There are some males in this country who are 30 years old and have never held a job for one day in their life. Nothing you can do here except build more prisons to house them.

Got the oil changed at a quick oil change place I frequent in town. It is every so painfully evident the manager hired a new man because at first no one was visible when I rolled up to the service bay. Usually they are right there but I waited two or three minutes, almost to the point of leaving, when this thing poked his head around the corner acting surprised to see me waiting. He dodges back in and comes out with a sammich and drink in each hand with which he beckons me forward over the pit.

By the time he got done I wanted to shove that sammich where the sun doesn't shine. I don't care if he was hungry (it was 10:30 AM and they are only open from 8:00 AM to noon on Saturday so it wasn't like I was cutting into his lunch period) I am the customer and even if you don't care if I live or die I want to at least feel like I am important to the business even if I am not.

Clown would not let go of his sammich. I waited there in the quick change bay for a good 5 to 8 minutes before this guy even started on the job of changing my oil. Sammich, sammich, sammich. Between his drink and the sammich I believe the North Koreans could have nuked this town and he still wouldn't have noticed a thing.

As the guy in the pit is changing oil he's running around checking air in my tires with tire gauge in one hand and sammich in th other.

Imagine the check out line in a grocery store with the lady doing the checkout gobbling a sammich the entire time she's checking your groceries.

Old 06-27-2009, 03:26 PM

Nicet4, sorry about your experience, can't stop laughing.

Old 06-27-2009, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
WHOO!

I like the discussion so far. But I did not say I believed all poor people were stupid and lazy, I just said that most people in the discussion believed this to be true. I was just looking for your opinion and I sure have got it so far. Keep them coming.

Oh Please, yes you did, go back to your original post.

Old 06-27-2009, 03:31 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I worked a full-time job when I went to college...but I ran out of money and time. It was a two-year college, and I would have had to travel into the city to go to a four-year institution anyhow.
I'm sorry about that. But if there's a will, there's a way. There were long weeks when I lived off bologna and ramen noodles, because I wanted a college degree.

Old 06-27-2009, 03:35 PM

25,738 posts, read 18,809,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardW View Post
I really get the idea that most of these "great debates" are just a cesspit for losers with big heads and opinions to rant about society...
Of course they are. Welcome aboard.

Old 06-27-2009, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
To a point.

Some poor are very bright people who went to college, running up hundreds of thousands of dollars in student loans in the process, getting degrees in sociology or dramatic arts. These highly educated people are stuck working at Starbucks for tips. That glass jar with a few dollars and change? It's the tip jar, please give generously.

Some of the underclass don't have a clue to what it means by having to be at a certain place at a certain time every single day. There are some males in this country who are 30 years old and have never held a job for one day in their life. Nothing you can do here except build more prisons to house them.

Got the oil changed at a quick oil change place I frequent in town. It is every so painfully evident the manager hired a new man because at first no one was visible when I rolled up to the service bay. Usually they are right there but I waited two or three minutes, almost to the point of leaving, when this thing poked his head around the corner acting surprised to see me waiting. He dodges back in and comes out with a sammich and drink in each hand with which he beckons me forward over the pit.

By the time he got done I wanted to shove that sammich where the sun doesn't shine. I don't care if he was hungry (it was 10:30 AM and they are only open from 8:00 AM to noon on Saturday so it wasn't like I was cutting into his lunch period) I am the customer and even if you don't care if I live or die I want to at least feel like I am important to the business even if I am not.

Clown would not let go of his sammich. I waited there in the quick change bay for a good 5 to 8 minutes before this guy even started on the job of changing my oil. Sammich, sammich, sammich. Between his drink and the sammich I believe the North Koreans could have nuked this town and he still wouldn't have noticed a thing.

As the guy in the pit is changing oil he's running around checking air in my tires with tire gauge in one hand and sammich in th other.

Imagine the check out line in a grocery store with the lady doing the checkout gobbling a sammich the entire time she's checking your groceries.
Well, I don't buy the entire line of people not knowing that they're supposed to show up to work on time. I found that when I started docking people for not coming into the office on time, they somehow managed to find a way to be punctual. Isn't that interesting that they managed to learn this concept with a little negative reinforcement?

Old 06-27-2009, 03:42 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,019,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Of course they are. Welcome aboard.

No thanks for your welcome mate it was a nice "brief" visit here, but I think I have higher aspirations than to become a fellow loser in this cesspit of whining bores.

Old 06-27-2009, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardW View Post
No thanks for your welcome mate it was a nice "brief" visit here, but I think I have higher aspirations than to become a fellow loser in this cesspit of whining bores.
Yet you came back to post again (And complain for that matter). So who's the whining bore here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates