Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 02:19 AM

4,978 posts, read 9,516,225 times

Advertisements

If we didn't have language, would we be able to think? Or, would our thoughts be more like impressions, feelings, more like an animal?

Is language the very thing that limits animals from becoming like us?

With language, we think and have the thoughts, "I know I think this." or "I know that I came into the room."

But without language, would it just be perceived as an acknowlegement of what just happened?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2009, 02:21 AM

Try to think without using language. Try to think about something without hearing the words in your head. Rather than saying in your mind, "I think I will respond to this post", try just thinking about that concept without words. I cannot do it. Can you?

Old 06-24-2009, 03:23 AM

1,780 posts, read 2,353,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
Try to think without using language. Try to think about something without hearing the words in your head. Rather than saying in your mind, "I think I will respond to this post", try just thinking about that concept without words. I cannot do it. Can you?
Doing so is like trying to imagine what nothing would be like...Imagine if nothing existed...what would it be like?

Darkness? no becasue that is something
Void? no because that is the absence of something
nothing? no because nothing it truly indescribable

So when someone says nothing is impossible...they are in fact correct...nothing is impossible for us to comprehend...

Old 06-24-2009, 07:52 AM

148 posts, read 624,098 times
Have you guys ever caught yourself on not thinking? This very moment of not thinking? Not to think happens to everyone sometimes (to some often but how many notices that? I've experienced that once and it was scary. And I can describe that as nothing, as there was no me for a split of second

Last edited by Barbie2015; 06-24-2009 at 08:46 AM..

Old 06-24-2009, 08:44 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,014,195 times
Language did not suddenly strike humans like a bolt of lightning. It gradually evolved as a way of communicating what you were thinking. So thinking must have preceded language, and language was a construct that made thinking communicable.

As a parallel, think of mathematics as a form of language. Early humans were capable of distinguishing a lot of berries from a few berries, and were capable of dividing a handful of berries into several equal parts. They were "thinking" mathematical constructs, and only later did they devise a formal arithmetic language.

Old 06-24-2009, 09:12 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,058,406 times
Thinking and communication are different, but language allows you to categorize and conceptualize ideas easier and make your thoughts known. Without language the abstract and ethereal things would be hard to visualize, normal things you can see and touch would be unaffected. Without being able to communicate you also could not learn from thoughts and experiences of those before, limiting the growth of people.

Old 06-24-2009, 10:23 AM

If you watch a great artist at work, it will be apparent to you that he is not "thinking" about what he is doing in any language that he could possibly verbalize.

I once saw (on TV) an idiot savant, barely capable of speech, take a lump of clay and in about two minutes, transform it into a perfect lhighly detailed replica of a horse. What words do you suppose he was saying to himself during that process?

In fact, here he is:

youtube.com/watch?v=lkDMaJ-wZmQ (Copy and paste this URL, and avoid the annoying full-screen still here)

One interesting point revealed in this video, is that possibly, people have exceptional talents that are inaccessible, because we clutter our thoughts with language which overrides other talents. It makes it impossible for us to do things that we cannot verbalize.

Last edited by jtur88; 06-24-2009 at 10:37 AM..

Old 06-24-2009, 10:37 AM

25,770 posts, read 18,834,175 times
I'd go as far as to say that our thoughts are dominated/controlled by our language to a large extent. I have a feeling that the strengths and weaknesses of a given language can affect the strength and weaknesses of the speakers of that language as well (no proof... and too lazy to research the issue). If in a given language, there is an aspect that isn’t so efficient, that will manifest itself in a speaker not being able to express some intended thought because he/she ‘cant find the words’ or grammar to express it. That’s one reason that I’m such a bit advocate of ‘cleaning English up.’

On the other hand, I do believe a more fundamental mode of thinking is purely visual (within the mind). In the absence of language, this 'visual' thinking would be the only available mode. The level of sophistication of such thoughts is hard to imagine because, from infancy, we've developed our verbal/analytical mode of thinking and seldom use the visual side. (this is all just opinion/babble of course and better suited to psycholinguists)

Great topic by the way... Such a refreshing break from... well, you know.

Old 06-24-2009, 10:49 AM

I recall an interview, when Paul Thereaux first met the great Argentine writer Jorge Luis Borges. They talked about writing devices, and Borges would exclaim "You can't do that in Spanish!". You can't coin a phrase or shoe a horse in Spanish, because using a noun as a verb is disallowed. So Borges writes in English. When I was studying Spanish, I tried writing poetry, and my instructor would just say "You can't do that".

Whenever I read an English translation of a book, this thought remains in the back of my mind, that the original could not have done certain things, even if the translator takes the license of doing so in English.

Old 06-24-2009, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Language did not suddenly strike humans like a bolt of lightning. It gradually evolved as a way of communicating what you were thinking. So thinking must have preceded language, and language was a construct that made thinking communicable.

As a parallel, think of mathematics as a form of language. Early humans were capable of distinguishing a lot of berries from a few berries, and were capable of dividing a handful of berries into several equal parts. They were "thinking" mathematical constructs, and only later did they devise a formal arithmetic language.

I agree. I used to think language was only a form of communicating between two people,but it seems to also be a way we communicate or reason within our own self.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates