Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 10:41 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,020,628 times

Advertisements

Might as well face it .. I'm addicted to the net!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2009, 10:42 PM

4,116 posts, read 3,146,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by migee View Post
I did for about a year. I was working for myself, and I was trying to expand via the internet. I got by - But, I realized with 12 hour days, spending about 6 - 8 hours on the internet (updating websites, sending e-mails, researching sources...). And, I was getting by, but barely.

And, I was fooling myself because I found myself on websites like this one - You know, taking a break during the day, and not realizing that an hour went by, here and there...

Anyway, I got out of it, went back to work the old fashion way (still using the computer for e-mail), - But, my income is back to a normal living wage.

What brings this up, is that a fellow in a company that I did some work for, seemed to get the "internet bug", and now lost his job, his house, and can't find work.

I'm not suprised, because even though I did not know him, after about a week on the project, after watching this guy typing feverishly on his keyboard all day (in sporadic bursts) - it occured to me, this guy is just spending his day playing around on these message boards (or something like it).

Anyway, I now learn that everyone caught on, and they let the guy go, after his being with them for years.

So, I guess this is both a question and (perhaps) a warning. Do you ever stop and ask yourself, "Am I spending too much time in the cyber world?".

I now mostly go on-line a few hours on the weekends and perhaps 1 hour per night. And, I just think that my life is better.
I am spending WAY to much time on here and it is causing SERIOUS problems for me in the real world I hate this thing!!!!

Old 07-07-2009, 12:39 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,082,223 times
I spend maybe a couple of hours a day on the internet. Usually I'll have my laptop out while I'm watching TV and just kind-of go back and forth between emails, Facebook, CDF, and whatever it is I'm watching (I'm doing this right now).

I would probably be on more if I brought my computer into work, and I could, but I don't like to lug it around outside of home. At work, I watch TV and read in my spare time (I work 3rd shift).

In truth, I have my nose buried in a book most of the time.

Old 07-07-2009, 01:31 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel'r View Post
I actually depend on the Internet. It has totally replaced any time I would be spending watching any TV whatsoever, and I do not make purchases without looking up unbiased reviews and first-hand experiences with products on forums (such as this one) first -- be it electronics, health, travel, what-have-you.

When I lived in other states, I spent most time (outside of work) outdoors and limited Internet to just researching things when I had to. I'd meet folks from all over, and there was a wide array of discussions. Now, having returned to original (provincial) residence due to family & job, I find I need the Internet to get different views; more open-minded input on everything from major happenings to sports ... right down to what's a good vitamin supplement. EDIT to say: Have found that the Internet is REQUIRED for finding the unbiased TRUTHS on things (when you dig deep enough.)
Nobody I know from my area has ever left here so, if one isn't a "clone", so to speak, you may as well be from outer Space if you've experienced other regions and mindsets.

So I am most comfortable here in Outer Space since moving back, and am pretty much on here when not at work
I have particular interests that are hard to find and when I discovered the internet, or even before bbs's, I became a committed addict How many people do you meet who like to discuss the middle ages, or what ifs on alternate histories? I've met people who live here, but the internet friends I've met are way more interesting. Thats what the net has done, created communities from all over the world that didn't exist before
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates