Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 12:56 AM

890 posts, read 3,699,702 times

Advertisements

Where would you go? It can be ANY time in history and feel free to explain why.

Personally, I would like to start out on January 1, 1950 and continue to live my life through the '50s and all the way through the '60s, '70s, and '80s into the '90s. As I was born in 1986, I don't remember the '80s at all and the 90s are kind of a blur. I remember fashions and songs and of course, childhood memories but not much in terms of specifics. What came 20-30 years before me and what I missed as a baby and a child has been a source of intense fascination for quite some time now.

In my honest opinion, the span of 1953 to 1969 or so was the absolute peak of America, a country at its finest and to see all the innovation first-hand would just be the cat's meow. Plus there's the birth of rock 'n roll, muscle cars, the space race and the colorful history that I've learned about.

I'm a complete history geek so I'm looking forward to hearing everybody's responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2010, 02:58 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,898,193 times
Interesting question. I would like to go back to the 1920's and 1930's in the United States. Having been a private pilot in the mid and late 1970's, I always dreamed about this prior golden time of aviation when the skies were not so crowded and there were far fewer regulations. We now live in a straight-jacket of rules and limitations, and I do not mean just as regards aviation. A second wish would be to go back a few thousand years before the beginning of recorded history to a time and place where the hunter-gatherer way of life was just beginning to be supplanted by agriculture and animal husbandry. It would be beyond fascinating to witness this, or (as a third wish) to witness the time in Europe when the Neanderthals and Homo Sapiens apparently co-existed and perhaps interacted. I would be there to ascertain whether our species was the more brutal and less refined of the two, and whether we basically caused their demise.

Old 04-13-2010, 04:04 AM

2,015 posts, read 3,379,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosecitywanderer View Post

Personally, I would like to start out on January 1, 1950 and continue to live my life through the '50s and all the way through the '60s, '70s, and '80s into the '90s. As I was born in 1986, I don't remember the '80s at all and the 90s are kind of a blur. I remember fashions and songs and of course, childhood memories but not much in terms of specifics. What came 20-30 years before me and what I missed as a baby and a child has been a source of intense fascination for quite some time now.

In my honest opinion, the span of 1953 to 1969 or so was the absolute peak of America, a country at its finest and to see all the innovation first-hand would just be the cat's meow. Plus there's the birth of rock 'n roll, muscle cars, the space race and the colorful history that I've learned about.

I'm a complete history geek so I'm looking forward to hearing everybody's responses.
Interesting. I was born in 1952 and I'm very glad I grew up during the 50's and 60's. You could be innocent as a child and not have to grow up quickly like kids have had to in later decades. And then there was the mid to late 60's when the coolest music was made!

For me, I'd like to go to the last quarter of the 18th century, but being greedy I want to see Scotland, Ireland and the New England area of the US. I find these times interesting culturally and historically.

Old 04-13-2010, 11:42 AM

324 posts, read 573,378 times
I think, it's just a matter of time till some black as* arrives here, and starts screaming , that besides the recent 3 decades, the whole history was awful because blacks were treated... and eventually we'll be all labeled racists, here. At least, this happened each time when similar topics were open in the past.
Regardless, I wish I could live in 50's and 60's, even 70's wouldn't be bad. I'm sure, there was some great time in history before, but I know too little to choose any of the previous periods.

Old 04-13-2010, 12:56 PM

122 posts, read 330,656 times
i would go back to the 80's so i can be born again and start my life all over. i think the 80's were still a good decade.

Old 04-13-2010, 01:32 PM

7,723 posts, read 12,615,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosecitywanderer View Post

If America was not in a time of prejudice and injustice, I would want to go back to the 1940s or 1950s. Men and women seemed to have had more class and self respect. These days and my generation is the worst I've ever seen. I'm glad I grew up with God and morals instilled in my life because I don't know how I would be without them.

Old 04-13-2010, 02:08 PM

3,084 posts, read 5,236,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulpan View Post
I think, it's just a matter of time till some black as* arrives here, and starts screaming , that besides the recent 3 decades, the whole history was awful because blacks were treated... and eventually we'll be all labeled racists, here. At least, this happened each time when similar topics were open in the past.
I'd personally like to go back to the time when you or your kind weren't around.

Old 04-13-2010, 02:59 PM

324 posts, read 573,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
I'd personally like to go back to the time when you or your kind weren't around.
Having read some of your previous posts, I'm not surprised, that you're offering me your lovely opinion, though I didn't ask for it.
Gotta disapoint you: I don't care to what time you would like to go back, and under what circumstancies...

Old 04-13-2010, 04:42 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,294,923 times
I would have loved to live in the 1920's because it was such a decade of major change (as the 60's were). I like the clothes, the music, and the Art Deco designs in clothes, jewels, buildings, etc. And I would want to have enough money to decorate my home in deco furnishings. "Talkie movies" premiered that decade and I imagine it was pretty exciting.

I would like to re-live the 60's, too, but would much prefer a different family dynamic than I had. Living on the dairy farm was fun, and I had my friends, but there was a LOT of dysfunction in my life. But I loved the decade itself from start to finish. Glad I was a part of it.

Old 04-13-2010, 06:04 PM

164 posts, read 298,321 times
Go back 4 weeks and win the Lotto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates