Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 09:11 PM

2,301 posts, read 2,032,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosecitywanderer View Post
Where would you go? It can be ANY time in history and feel free to explain why.

Personally, I would like to start out on January 1, 1950 and continue to live my life through the '50s and all the way through the '60s, '70s, and '80s into the '90s. As I was born in 1986, I don't remember the '80s at all and the 90s are kind of a blur. I remember fashions and songs and of course, childhood memories but not much in terms of specifics. What came 20-30 years before me and what I missed as a baby and a child has been a source of intense fascination for quite some time now.

In my honest opinion, the span of 1953 to 1969 or so was the absolute peak of America, a country at its finest and to see all the innovation first-hand would just be the cat's meow. Plus there's the birth of rock 'n roll, muscle cars, the space race and the colorful history that I've learned about.

I'm a complete history geek so I'm looking forward to hearing everybody's responses.
You're talking about living your life right through my era. It was a lot of fun, those days, but of course there's a lot of things that don't change much. From 1964-1976 I was chasing girls. I was part of the first wave of skateboarders (about 1966). I drank beer underage. So the times change but many of the activities do not.

I'll tell you, I think the music was a helluva lot better back then. I still listen to some of that stuff today. In fact, earlier today I listened to some 68' Moody Blues. Let's see how many of today's 18 year-olds will be listening to 2010 hip hop forty years from now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2010, 10:11 PM

3,084 posts, read 5,236,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulpan View Post
Having read some of your previous posts, I'm not surprised, that you're offering me your lovely opinion, though I didn't ask for it.
Gotta disapoint you: I don't care to what time you would like to go back, and under what circumstancies...
Consider me aggrieved, dejected, and duly heartbroken.

Old 04-14-2010, 12:57 AM

311 posts, read 693,904 times
I'd go back to when new zealand had a hunter gatherer sociaty.pure bliss for me.

Old 04-14-2010, 02:31 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,079,887 times
Off the top of my head-To a time before technology and computers and keyboards, so I wouldn't have to listen to people bang away incessantly on their keyboards and people actually spoke to one another instead of text messaging each other.

Or perhaps the American Revolution-bloody and violent, but also a time of people coming together to create something they believed in, to stand up against those who they were fighting against.

Old 04-14-2010, 08:46 AM

597 posts, read 1,297,964 times
I would like go back (to visit) century XIX, specifically the years from 1850 to 1900.
I like history very much and I think this era very interesting. Things was different.

Old 04-14-2010, 01:40 PM

7,372 posts, read 14,674,794 times
Id go back to when i was just starting middle school and correct my mistakes. And when we get back to the present id own bill gates and trump both.

Old 04-14-2010, 05:03 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,294,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
Id go back to when i was just starting middle school and correct my mistakes. And when we get back to the present id own bill gates and trump both.
I've always said that if I could invent a crystal ball that actually works ~ accurately! ~ then I would make Bill Gates look like a pauper. ('Has to do with my job. People seemed to think I should read their minds, even over the phone.)

Old 04-14-2010, 06:27 PM

1,883 posts, read 3,002,112 times
Back around 40,000 years ago during the last Ice Age.No roads,no power lines,no suburbs,no WalMarts.Walking through pristine wilderness.

Old 04-14-2010, 06:34 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,181,294 times
Back to that day in 1974. I was about 25, sitting in the public library, paging thru a book. Across from me sat a beautiful woman about 40-45. She kept looking at me and smiling as she crossed her legs. Stupid me, I didn't react.
I bet I missed out on something extraordinary.

Old 04-14-2010, 06:56 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,957,812 times
I was born in 51, In New England where I still am, but I did travel the USA and Canada some. I like my mountians daily. I miss the summer tree tunnels from back then and the little narrow roads.

I was young and didn't hear words like racist. back then my parents called blacks negros, and they were not racist. My mother was a stay at home type, my father was a electrical engineer, and his works still flies on the space shuttle.

My first real job paid 65 cents an hour. Before that I dug clams, to buy the junk motorbikes i wanted.

I bought and paid 200 dollars for my first car. Back then you worked to get what you wanted and paid in cash.I still have a real dollar. The last year of them as a Silver certificate. The paper represented real silver as a silver dollar, and the paper was lighter to carry, and backed up in something not a snake oil promise.

Kitchen furnishings were godawful formicas. Not that many people had cars, and when they did it was just one pre household.

The phone was a party line, and us kids made a mess of that. There could be 6 houses with the same number, but each house rang a different number of rings. Anyone on the party line could listen in.

Me: Well I am in part a living historian, fit for 58, and can probably out run a lot of 20 and 30 somethings easy.

I sort of dwell in woodland skills, and if the SHTF i might only know by the fact the power goes out. other wise I won't really care.

I do 1805 to 1839 American Fur Trade Events. Before that as leather stockings Long Hunter, and the French and indian War on the Frenchside because the Yanglese are so target rich.

What's that word? Yanglese, Yunkliss, Yunglaise, well nothing more than French Accent mixed with native AccentS for English, or commonly know as Yankee's, which is amuusing when it gets to be the War between the States to me. I don't do that one , but attended invited as one of Moseby;s Boys, and with one other man we took a Union Camp of 12.

I am a born and bread Yankee though.

I do parts as a native and have scared the pants off full grown men also re-enactors, and have 3 scalps as proof.

But about now if I could i would like to do 1670's -1720 as a Pirate.

I have tinkered alone 5,000 years ago the golden age of stone, but no one else plays that game. The character has no cloth, metals, glass, fer sure no plastic, but has tools for fire, working stone, hides and is dressed and painted. Paint is interesting. I wear more paint in a day than any 2 American Women can in a year combined.

I find it prevents too much sun, makes me warm in rain or wind, and no bugs can't bite.

I expect, you didn't expect any answers like mine

In the here and now I play a bad boy Biker, what else is there to do, when it ain't hunting season, or maple sugarin time?

I have all the tooling I need for any and all of this, so I can make what I want when I need it. Steel to stone, and they all need fire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates