Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 09:44 PM

604 posts, read 751,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyvin View Post
Early Renaissance comes to mind.

Latter 15th century Italy (as long as I was Leonardo da Vinci's confidante).

It would have been beautiful to part of such history.
He liked little boys, so maybe in your early 20's would be a good age? jkjk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
One winter day when I was a little kid, I was with a group of boys who threw snowballs at a group of girls walking home from school. Even while I participated, I remember feeling like a total jerk; I really liked one of those girls, and I knew how stupid it was for me to throw snowballs at her.

If I could go back in time, I'd go back to that one afternoon...and not throw those snowballs.

Reminds me of 6th grade I was flirting with this girl, but didnt catch the hint she really liked me...

Don't I feel stupid...

But I'm still in HS, so mistakes are short lived? hopefully?

Maybe I'll write history instead of look back upon it..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2010, 11:50 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,078,063 times
I would go back to Dallas on November 22nd, 1963 and find an area of Dealy Plaza that I could set off a bunch of firecrackers in different locations with the 'ol cigarette-time-delay method, just before 12:30 pm when Kennedy's car turned off Main Street.

Old 04-19-2010, 11:51 AM

897 posts, read 1,689,548 times
I'd love to go back into the 1870's or 1880s and hang out in towns like Dodge City or Tombstone. It would be cool to run into Wyatt Earp and Doc Holliday or Billy the Kid.

Old 04-19-2010, 01:07 PM

1,302 posts, read 2,950,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamom View Post
I would be born in the 1940's. Right now I'd be in my 60's with my house paid off and driving that new Cadillac, supporting myself on Social Security and that great pension that I earned from working for some great American company that gave me a secure job for 30 or 40 years, and actually provided well for my retirement and medical care.
Now there's an idea

I always theorized that the decades since the 2nd half of the 20th century totally plays out like the life stages of the baby boomers:

1950's: "innocent" childhood
1960's: turbulent teens
1970's: stressful twentysomethings/quarterlife crisis
1980's: properous thirtysomethings
1990's: overprotective parenting fortysomethings
2000's: mid-life crisis

Old 04-20-2010, 08:30 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,556,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosecitywanderer View Post
Where would you go? It can be ANY time in history and feel free to explain why.

Personally, I would like to start out on January 1, 1950 and continue to live my life through the '50s and all the way through the '60s, '70s, and '80s into the '90s. As I was born in 1986, I don't remember the '80s at all and the 90s are kind of a blur. I remember fashions and songs and of course, childhood memories but not much in terms of specifics. What came 20-30 years before me and what I missed as a baby and a child has been a source of intense fascination for quite some time now.

In my honest opinion, the span of 1953 to 1969 or so was the absolute peak of America, a country at its finest and to see all the innovation first-hand would just be the cat's meow. Plus there's the birth of rock 'n roll, muscle cars, the space race and the colorful history that I've learned about.

I'm a complete history geek so I'm looking forward to hearing everybody's responses.
I was born in 1953 and I agree with much of what you wrote. If I would like to have a slight change in the year I was born I would probably like to be part of what is called the Greatest Generation. The generation that went through a depression and WWII. They were a generation that hung together through those tough times. I like talking to the old folks and how they talk about their parents, the way they survived hard times and how hard times brought families together and how proud they are of how they managed to make it through.

They were not a generation that broke down at the slightest sign or need as I see today. They are not a generation that feel they are entitled to free stuff. They worked for what they got. They are not a generation of parents are part of the "Death of Grown Up" as the title of a book says of today's generation. They are not a generation where moms and dads try to dress and act like their children. They are not like the present generation of children and grown up whinning of everything that does not go their way. I am glad my mom and dad did impress the greatest generaton principles because those principles have gotten me through hard times without expecting to giving me things free.

You have a great day.
El Amigo

Old 04-20-2010, 09:23 PM

2,013 posts, read 3,548,567 times
Very sorry to ruin conversation but to me, all I can see in the past is slavery and extreme racism. I think the current is good, and the future will definitely definitely be better.

Old 04-20-2010, 09:26 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,556,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLucky View Post
Very sorry to ruin conversation but to me, all I can see in the past is slavery and extreme racism. I think the current is good, and the future will definitely definitely be better.
Those things do still exist today in some form just that they may be mor subtle. People are still the same regardless of the era they live.
Good observation though.

You have a great day.
El Amigo

Old 04-20-2010, 09:48 PM

3,135 posts, read 3,783,157 times
Is this a knowing what I know now type of going back or starting off new? If it's the first type then I would say during Jesus' time on earth. If it's starting off with no memory of my past, then I would say the 20's.

Old 04-21-2010, 02:04 AM

24,511 posts, read 33,328,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David674UT View Post
I'd love to go back into the 1870's or 1880s and hang out in towns like Dodge City or Tombstone. It would be cool to run into Wyatt Earp and Doc Holliday or Billy the Kid.
That is one era I would like to go back in... but only for a little while!

Hang out with some famous characters of the Old West and spend some time in a saloon. Maybe even watch a gunfight!

I could tell the people that in the mid-20th century, western movies and TV shows will be real popular. Too bad they won't know what a movie or TV is.

Old 04-21-2010, 04:45 AM

890 posts, read 3,702,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elamigo View Post
I was born in 1953 and I agree with much of what you wrote. If I would like to have a slight change in the year I was born I would probably like to be part of what is called the Greatest Generation. The generation that went through a depression and WWII. They were a generation that hung together through those tough times. I like talking to the old folks and how they talk about their parents, the way they survived hard times and how hard times brought families together and how proud they are of how they managed to make it through.

They were not a generation that broke down at the slightest sign or need as I see today. They are not a generation that feel they are entitled to free stuff. They worked for what they got. They are not a generation of parents are part of the "Death of Grown Up" as the title of a book says of today's generation. They are not a generation where moms and dads try to dress and act like their children. They are not like the present generation of children and grown up whinning of everything that does not go their way. I am glad my mom and dad did impress the greatest generaton principles because those principles have gotten me through hard times without expecting to giving me things free.

You have a great day.
El Amigo
Exactly...couldn't have said it better myself. Thank goodness my parents raised me with values and morals. If I want something, I have to work for it and pay for it myself. End of story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLucky View Post
I hate to break it to you but if you think that only exists in the past, you're brainwashing yourself. You can pretend it never happened but then how do you learn from past mistakes? You don't and without seeing where you've been, it's impossible to move forward. We are nothing without our history. I'm going to leave you with my favorite quote:

"Those who cannot remember the past, are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates