Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 10:21 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,674,563 times

Advertisements

Please.....In the name of sanity, stop the incessant moralizing and get off your butts and get behind the only programs that really address the issue, stop pregnancies from happening, help those who are trying to mitigate the abortion debacle in this country by advocating for birth control. CONTROL, of an unplanned birth, is the ONLY option we have...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2009, 10:23 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
Please.....In the name of sanity, stop the incessant moralizing and get off your butts and get behind the only programs that really address the issue, stop pregnancies from happening, help those who are trying to mitigate the abortion debacle in this country by advocating for birth control. CONTROL, of an unplanned birth, is the ONLY option we have...
You just did what you begged us not to do. You moralized by implying that abortion is not an option, that control is the only option we have. On what is that statement based, if nor your own "moralizing"?

Old 07-19-2009, 10:31 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,163,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb64282 View Post
As someone who is pro-life, I find it very disturbing that some people are using the issue that taxpayers money will be funding abortions as an attempt to slam down the idea. Gee ya know what? I'm against the death penalty, and they execute people in prisons so should I demand that none of my taxes go to the incarceration and reforming of inmates? NO! How does everyone else see this issue?
I'm pro-choice. So... use my tax dollars to fund those abortions. Would that solution help ease your conscience?

According to Wikepedia, our country is pretty much split down the middle on this issue. So if only pro-choice people's tax dollars were used to fund abortions, there should be enough funds for that purpose.

Quote:
Two polls were released in May 2007 asking Americans "With respect to the abortion issue, would you consider yourself to be pro-choice or pro-life?" May 4th through 6th, a CNN poll found 45% said pro-choice and 50% said pro-life. Within the following week, a Gallup poll found 50% responding pro-choice and 44% pro-life.

Old 07-19-2009, 11:07 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
Personally for those that support it they should start their own fund and not look for funding from those that are against this very deviding issue in this country. Certainly there is not the support to make it generally funded. I see this as doing nothing but really deviding the healthcare debate quickly even more.There is nothing stoppig people that suport abrtion from donating to a national fund like on so many other personal choice issues.

Old 07-19-2009, 11:40 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,163,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Personally for those that support it they should start their own fund and not look for funding from those that are against this very deviding issue in this country. Certainly there is not the support to make it generally funded. I see this as doing nothing but really deviding the healthcare debate quickly even more.There is nothing stoppig people that suport abrtion from donating to a national fund like on so many other personal choice issues.
We shouldn't have to start our own fund as we already pay our taxes. Otherwise, why should any tax monies from pro-choice citizens be supportive of the pro-life agenda?

In addition, abortion should be easily available to anyone in their first trimester, even those who are pro-life and vote against abortions rights. Of the three people I know who have had abortions, two of them were flag waving Catholics. I find pro-choice people to be very straight forward about their beliefs. And I see hypocrisy in the pro-life camp. They say one thing publicly, yet if the need arises, they will secretly ship their pregnant teenage daughter out of state for a discrete abortion. So why shouldn't some of the funding come from the pro-lifers?

Old 07-19-2009, 11:43 AM

6,664 posts, read 30,610,392 times
I guess the original question here is about tax dollars funding abortions. As much as we all regret abuse of tax monies, I would rather see tax dollars fund abortions than welfare and section 8 abuse.

Old 07-19-2009, 11:53 AM

115 posts, read 353,835 times
it amazes me how much research & money is spent to save a persons life, but at the same time money & research is spent on taking away another life. its awful

Old 07-19-2009, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Personally for those that support it they should start their own fund and not look for funding from those that are against this very deviding issue in this country. .
It's a deal. We'll do that for Iraq-like wars, too, right? And paved roads to shopping malls and country clubs? And prisons for non-violent offenders? Military aid to Israel?

Sounds like a great way to run a democracy. Everybody gets an annual tax form, with check boxes next to the price for each item you are willing to pay for, and then you add up your tax and send a check.

Why not just simplify it, and elect representatives to get together and budget the expenditures for those things the voters approve of?

Old 07-19-2009, 12:21 PM

115 posts, read 353,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
I guess the original question here is about tax dollars funding abortions. As much as we all regret abuse of tax monies, I would rather see tax dollars fund abortions than welfare and section 8 abuse.
As flawed as Welfare is, & as much abuse as there is, Id still rather give some people money that dont deserve it than to just eliminate somebodys life for the sake of selfishness. If you dont want the baby, put it up for adoption. Id be less worried about tax dollar "abuse' than killing a human life

Last edited by stepside454; 07-19-2009 at 12:27 PM.. Reason: goofed

Old 07-19-2009, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
I would rather see tax dollars fund abortions than welfare and section 8 abuse.
Come on. You are opposed to abuse? Kind of going out on a limb, aren't you?

Are you also against small business loan abuse? Highway works abuse? Defense spending abuse? Pork barrel abuse? Job training abuse?

Construction companies rake in tens of billions on unnecessasry road works simply because the money is budgeted, and the more they waste this year, the more they'll get next year. . And you're excited about a single mom padding her food stamp allotment by twenty bucks. A mile of repaving on a perfectly satisfactory road will cost more than all the food stamps in a rural county put together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepside454 View Post
If you dont want the baby, put it up for adoption. Id be less worried about tax dollar "abuse' than killing a human life
Can I be assured that YOU will adopt it? You want me to commit myself to having my baby, so let's hear you commit yourself to adopting it.

Last edited by jtur88; 07-19-2009 at 12:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates