Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 01:08 AM

2,311 posts, read 2,828,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
enormous--- the downside is that the chances that you will become a narcisst jerk are excellent.
I don't know what you mean. But if I wasn't so attractive it would really be tough for me to have gotten as far as I have in life.

Old 08-04-2009, 03:01 AM

3,007 posts, read 6,286,246 times
Far too important.

Those without the goods or bods have deep insecurity and confidence problems that spillover to other areas of life. Moreover, those without the goods who have built their confidence through sheer will have earned in through an embittering process such that these types have a chip on their shoulder the size of Manhattan.

Those with the goods are quite the opposite and have their confidence spillover even to those areas in which they no place. Moreover, those who were good looking when young and who gained confidence when young rarely lose it when older even if looks fade away.

All along the middle-of-the-roaders put in their lot with the lookers since they have what the masses do not.

S.

Old 08-04-2009, 11:07 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
In terms of career, a good looking person has more potential career paths available, merely because some careers are essentially closed to people who are not better-than-average looking. Once a career is chosen, how good looking one is is less relevant, but it probably never becomes completely irrelevant, unless you're talking about the very top echelon in a highly specialized field, like mathematician or brain surgeon. But even a trial lawyer can win more cases with good looks, because success in that field is partly dependent on winning over another person (juror) with something more than just the facts.

Dress is a form of making yourself better looking, and the simple fact that public-visibility jobs have a dress code implies that the employer gives consideration to an applicant's appearance, which makes good-looking a factor.

Old 08-04-2009, 01:17 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,053,112 times
I think it's a disadvantage to be born beautiful, but not to become so. Always having it drives many to selfishness, narcissism, and willful stupidity. Growing into it and find it let's people have their feet on the ground, and be able to use it against those who only see skin deep.

Old 08-04-2009, 02:31 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
I think it's a disadvantage to be born beautiful, but not to become so. Always having it drives many to selfishness, narcissism, and willful stupidity. Growing into it and find it let's people have their feet on the ground, and be able to use it against those who only see skin deep.
But if I use my natural-born beauty to become a multi-millionaire, who cares if people have trouble dealing with my selfishness, narcissism and willful stupidity? I can buy people's respect whenever I need it. Cheaply.

Old 08-04-2009, 02:52 PM

583 posts, read 1,252,163 times
Let's just put it this way: Good looks won't save anyone from the pitfalls of stupidity.

Beauty can be a blessing or it can be a curse, those who 'advance' seemingly because of their looks are simply those who have a good head on their shoulders to start with, who know how to use their looks to their advantage as a part of their life skills arsenal. In other words, they are clever people, whether these are good looking men climbing corporate ladder at record speed or beautiful girls with no seeming brain power or skills marrying wealthy men and being taken care of for the rest of their lives (yes, even these 'gold-digger' types have to do some strategic planning that can rival some of the most complicated corporate politics). For every successful beautiful person there are tons that aren't, because beauty is a good with the limited shelf life, use it wisely, or lose it.

Old 08-05-2009, 08:37 AM

3,006 posts, read 3,870,106 times
Its a double edged sword, it helps in both work and dating, though girls are more attracted to how a man makes them feel. In work you're expected to outperform 'normal' people. As far as dating is concerned its difficult to find someone on you're own 'level' who is single.

Old 08-05-2009, 09:16 AM

1,310 posts, read 3,051,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
How much of an advantage in life does a person have, if born with better than average good looks?
REPLY: With Americas obsession with the exterior of the human body, it is vitally important to have roughly 4 lbs. of skin that looks nice , albiet, superficial the way we idolize such folks. Yes, such nice looking folks have an advantage according to ABC's 20/20 expose.

Old 08-05-2009, 09:48 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,339,531 times
We make our own success. If you have an advantage though, why wouldn't you use it? Remember that we have plenty of stars that have less than appealing looks and those people used those looks as an advantage to get ahead.

Old 08-05-2009, 09:56 PM

1,639 posts, read 5,099,126 times
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Take an average woman, throw 20 lbs of makup on her, shave off 25 lbs, and put her in a tight dress now you have a knockout.

Take an average guy, make him work out and get chiseled and buff, give him a pocket full of money and a Porsche, suddenly you have a hot guy.

Big corporations have set the standards for what's hot and make millions off the suckers who fall for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates