Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2009, 06:19 PM

1,310 posts, read 3,050,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towhee View Post
Rvlover, it appears that some think we need to monitor everyone's homes that our children might be in, and how about the stores , like Wal Mart, that has rows of TVs along the wall!!!! This is going to be quite a chore! And to think, just getting the stations to refuse such ads would solve the problem.

But then...this is a free country...to all who love those ads!!! But not to those who hate them!!!
Yes it does appear that way ; I find it quite amusing because some of these folks in here ive chatted with in the past and they are of a very liberal/whatever the culture pushes, mindset...yet they advise Parents monitor and control their kids so good values can be maintained ! Some of them are quick to condemn the Christian Faith , yet they find value in kids having christian morals and values !

Old 08-05-2009, 06:27 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,021,103 times
Ok, I haven't read all nine pages of posts so I don't know if this has been brought up yet, but when there are advertising dollars involved, nothing is forbidden. Big pharma, big media, LOL. Do you really think they care about moral decency on the airwaves? Why no, all they care about are greenbacks. I don't like those ads myself as they just seem to pop out of nowhere. Fat chance of planning a family viewing evening around ads! This "if you don't like it, don't watch it" doesn't work as the viewer has no control over what he or she is watching except for the off on the remote. Which is precisely why I watch little or no TV. Borrrrrinnggggg!!!!!!!!

Old 08-05-2009, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
There's something much more warped about people trying to blame all of society's ills on sex.
Its obviously a very big part of the problem here in America ...not sex, but ILLICIT sex. When a Nations Government enables 4,000/day developing americans in the womb to be brutally broken into pieces and vaccuumed into sink because Sexual Hedonism is the popular pastime , then it is a societal ill of the largest magnitude ... unless of course the people dont care (which they dont) . The problem could be lessened if the Media were MADE to stop their highly sexualized marketing crap for huge financial gain.

Old 08-05-2009, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdwell View Post
Ok, I haven't read all nine pages of posts so I don't know if this has been brought up yet, but when there are advertising dollars involved, nothing is forbidden. Big pharma, big media, LOL. Do you really think they care about moral decency on the airwaves? Why no, all they care about are greenbacks. I don't like those ads myself as they just seem to pop out of nowhere. Fat chance of planning a family viewing evening around ads! This "if you don't like it, don't watch it" doesn't work as the viewer has no control over what he or she is watching except for the off on the remote. Which is precisely why I watch little or no TV. Borrrrrinnggggg!!!!!!!!
Youve got at least 2 other people in this thread that totally agree with you, including myself. If you stick around in here, be prepared to be ostracized because you know the difference between right and wrong ; with this being '2009' , ANYTHING is supposed to be permissable regardless.

Old 08-05-2009, 06:33 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,633,586 times
Well, you could effectively make the media stop airing those sorts of ads by boycotting the advertised products, and thus depriving their manufacturers of ad dollars.

But that's not what the American people want to do.

Old 08-05-2009, 06:35 PM

73,002 posts, read 62,578,805 times
I think those commericials are crap anyway. If they never play again, then fine by me.

Old 08-05-2009, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
Well, you could effectively make the media stop airing those sorts of ads by boycotting the advertised products, and thus depriving their manufacturers of ad dollars.

But that's not what the American people want to do.
Obviously

Old 08-05-2009, 06:47 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,948,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdwell View Post
Fat chance of planning a family viewing evening around ads! !!
If sitting all together and watching TV is anybody's idea of a family evening, they are already subjecting their family to several hours of inane mindless crap that will turn their brains to oatmeal, so what does it matter if smiling Bob is in there too?

Old 08-05-2009, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVlover View Post
Youve got at least 2 other people in this thread that totally agree with you, including myself. If you stick around in here, be prepared to be ostracized because you know the difference between right and wrong ; with this being '2009' , ANYTHING is supposed to be permissable regardless.
Thanks RV-Rep points for ya. Oh I suppose there are plenty who don't see it my way. There is absolutely an entitlement of whatever "I want" mentality and to hell with everything and everyone else. Sadly, I really see this country and the world heading into chaos and destruction.

Old 08-05-2009, 06:53 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,224,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVlover View Post
Wrongo. You will be nailed because you refuse to take control of your environment. You may not tell me that you cannot possibly control the tv in your own house and you may not tell me that you find it impossible to know whom your child spends his/her time with or their family and then talk to me about safety and caring. Apparantly, the only people that anything is permissable are those that agree with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates