Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2009, 09:12 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,061,423 times

Advertisements

Sorry, have not read through all this, but just to chime in w/ my HO... not a prude, as can curse and tell the off-wall jokes w/ anyone - but in certain settings. There is a place and a time for such. This crap coming into living room, when w/ family members, during prime time and day time is NOT appropriate. Even though George Carlin is one of my heroes, I do not agree with those words or these images being broadcast during those times of the day, when more apt to have family chilling, trying to enjoy a program - and its a program that is NOT risque or raunchy itself. Granted, w/ all that said, in this house, the TV is only on for ~5 hours a week anyhow [yes, per week]; but when at relatives and such, when enjoying some Dish programs [Science, Discovery, History, etc. type channels], not cool to see this rubbish. Yes, the channel could be changed, as the remote is always in your hand, just ready and available to click it . Anyhow, would not bother me if such ads were not on before 11pm.

Old 08-05-2009, 09:19 PM

433 posts, read 876,307 times
Why do people try to live in perfect harmony when this is by no means a perfect world. Are you kidding me? Maybe the boy will see the commercial for hard-ons and it will spark a conversation that is needed anyway. If he is a boy he does have a penis wright? Do not be over zealous parents and turn your kids into serial killers because you thought you were trying to protect them. Let the boy live I say!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-05-2009, 09:27 PM

433 posts, read 876,307 times
Lightbulb What

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
You don't see these commercials on PBS or on Disney or Cartoon Network. So what exactly are you allowing your 4-8 year old to watch?

Here is the the thing, as a parent you are responsible for the tv. If these commercials come on while your watching something and you don't want your children to see them, then turn off the tv. It is not anyone elses job to monitor your children so that you can sit around and watch tv. Commercials come on when they are most likely to be viewed by their target audience. Therefore, your 4-8 year old are not the only ones watching television.
I know that you are probably familiar with the family guy. I seen that on cartoon network. Their was an episonde where the cheetah tiger or what ever he is snorted a line of crushed up cheetoes. Personally that cartoon she be on HBO.

Old 08-05-2009, 09:38 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,228,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy eyes 1979 View Post
I know that you are probably familiar with the family guy. I seen that on cartoon network. Their was an episonde where the cheetah tiger or what ever he is snorted a line of crushed up cheetoes. Personally that cartoon she be on HBO.
I'm sure your aware of Adult Swim and the time that it comes on. This would have a target audience. Also seen during this time, Space Ghost Coast to Coast, Aqua Teen Hunger Force and Family Guy.

So, did you have a specific point? Or is it the fact that Adult Swim has a block on Cartoon Network during the hours of when children are asleep? Or.....something else?

Old 08-06-2009, 07:02 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times
Lol...RVlover, it may surprise and shock you that I am very conservative and I believe sex should be within the confines of marriage (though most of the 'christians' I know have not waited at all). WHat I don't believe in is these ridiculous censorship controls you people try to put on tv and literature with some artard ideas that it's going to somehow change anyone's behavior.

It makes no sense to me that you are so devoted to your precious kids but you can't figure out a way to influence them more (as their parents!) than the media you're so scared of. And what exactly are you so afraid is going to happen if they watch these commercials?

You have a choice to turn off your tv or get rid of it. You also have a choice to raise your children to be the kind of people you can trust to uphold strong values when you are not there. Isn't that the point of parenting?

Old 08-06-2009, 07:03 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times
Oh, and I am completely offended by The 700 Club, and I demand it be removed from the air. Also all those other churchy shows. I don't want my kids growing up thinking it's ok to be christian.

Old 08-06-2009, 10:25 AM

1,310 posts, read 3,053,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
I will do better than that. Your stance has been from the get go that parents are powerless. In fact, it was brought to your attention that the audiences are targeted and that if your children are watching channels specifically geared for them then you will not have that problem. You refused to acknowledge it. We discussed ABC 7 as an adult channel and that ABC has a channel for kids and that your game show is not on that channel because they aren't a targeted audience. You refused to even acknowledge that little fact. In fact, it was made known to you that the computer, the music, and the magazines in your household are all controllable by you. Yes? When you couldn't nail that, you decided that it was because of the friends factor. Now, remember your original age group is 4-8. All of this falls under your control. They might see these things watching tv at their friends house. Your crew thought that it was too much trouble to know where your child is going.

Fact is, many parents do not seem to have a problem communicating with each other of what is deemed appropriate at each other's house as far as tv viewing, radio and computer use. These fall under the control of the parent. If I know that so and so is not allowed to play certain video games then they disappear for the time period they are at my home and vice versa. Once it is known that I do not want my child to play something that they deem ok and they choose not to take that into consideration then that child may only play at my house. Not my child go to theirs.

Further, it has already been noted that children will talk about body parts and functions as they try to put the puzzle together. Remember? Yet, you have repeatedly refused to acknowledge any of this. Instead we get this:

Again, you may not tell me that you do not have the power to control the tv in your own home. Or the computer. Or the radio. Or know whom your child is with.
I SHALL tell you again that you cannot be with your pre-adolescent child 100% of the time ; they go over to their friends house to play or for a sleepover and who knows if an older child suddenly walks in and flips on a channel where E.D. TV ads are playing ...while your child and thier friend are playing Dolls in the same room. This is one of many scenarios. Further, I never said a Parent was helpless to try to look out for thier childs welfare and in fact, I encourage it. Lastly, I cannot give answer to EVERY facet of a Post that you and the many others write on ..but i do try to hit on what i think are main points. Your level of hostility has risen and is unecessary., both to me and others in here.

Old 08-06-2009, 10:44 AM

[quote=stan4;10138666]Lol...RVlover, it may surprise and shock you that I am very conservative and I believe sex should be within the confines of marriage (though most of the 'christians' I know have not waited at all). WHat I don't believe in is these ridiculous censorship controls you people try to put on tv and literature with some artard ideas that it's going to somehow change anyone's behavior.

REPLY: The whole idea behind it , is, to try and safeguard a young childs innocense instead of being unconcerned with the many adult sexual content TV Ads and the likes of Madonna (and others) with her $600,000,000 empire achieved from polluting young girls minds .

It makes no sense to me that you are so devoted to your precious kids but you can't figure out a way to influence them more (as their parents!) than the media you're so scared of. And what exactly are you so afraid is going to happen if they watch these commercials?

REPLY: As you may be aware, Parents only have so much influence (hopefully the majority) where their kids are concerned ; the Media, the public schools, their peers, are all pushing illicit sex down their throats at every turn ...and that, plus the propensity all human beings have toward sin , is most often a recipe for one to suppress thier Parents teaching as well as thier own moral conscience in order to try different things . In fact, it is rampant with adults today in America.

You have a choice to turn off your tv or get rid of it. You also have a choice to raise your children to be the kind of people you can trust to uphold strong values when you are not there. Isn't that the point of parenting?

REPLY: Yes indeed, that is the point in parenting ; but it is not necesarily/entirely the Parents fault if the Child later goes the road of the World . I am very good friends with a family whos Parents tried very hard at raising their kids with strong morals and values, and only ONE out of the 5 now adult children have maintained a desire to live right and disregard what the culture pushes. The other 4 are engaged in illicit sex
and are shacking up . So, despite a Parents best efforts, there are no gaurantees. The Culture is a giant Monster filled with many alluring immoral venues competing with (whats left of) a persons moral conscience.

Old 08-06-2009, 11:01 AM

3,978 posts, read 8,551,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVlover View Post
Youve got at least 2 other people in this thread that totally agree with you, including myself. If you stick around in here, be prepared to be ostracized because you know the difference between right and wrong ; with this being '2009' , ANYTHING is supposed to be permissable regardless.

Yep! You are so right!
Frankly, I find the mindset of several who are posting here just plain scary! I am shocked at the open hate they exhibit towards those who believe in morality! And I am amazed that their posts are allowed to remain.

Old 08-06-2009, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Oh, and I am completely offended by The 700 Club, and I demand it be removed from the air. Also all those other churchy shows. I don't want my kids growing up thinking it's ok to be christian.
It is quite ok for them to grow up being Christian, in fact, if they are not...the Culture will most certainly swallow them up ; but as the following research concludes, a drastic 61% of people raised Christian fall away into the sewer philosophies the Culture directly competes for :
__________________________________________________ __________
(from a recent Christian Newsletter ; emphasis arrows added by Me) ....... "And the disease is rapidly spreading to America. Pollster George Barna has found that 61% – nearly two-thirds of today’s young adults who were regular church attendees when they were younger – are now “spiritually disengaged.” Some will come back later in life, like the Prodigal Son, but why is the church so ineffective at retaining its next generation?

The Bible says that mankind >>>>“…suppresses the truth in unrighteousness” <<<<< (Romans 1:18). In a word, SIN works to keep us from loving the truth of God. This manifests itself in many ways. For one thing, our society and culture – especially the one that our young people are tuned in to – has become much more hedonistic. >>>Pleasure, greed and pride are openly promoted and exalted<<<. Recall that many famous evolutionists have freely admitted their fidelity to evolution because of their desire to justify immorality.

For another thing, families are increasingly broken and dysfunctional. >>>Fathers are disengaged from their biblical role of training and instruction, leaving the media and the government to become the primary influences in a young person’s life<<<. Though they may drop off their kids at Sunday school, even Sunday school and youth groups can’t compete, especially when they don’t address the critical issues supporting a biblical worldview! "
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates