Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 10:37 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,052,550 times

Advertisements

Homeschooling versus public schooling versus private schooling really doesn't matter as much compared to how each is done. I've know really great and really badly done education in each. Though those who are in situations where they can interact with many people on a daily basis tend to have more developed social skills and tend to be less stressed in social situations, but it's independent of school type compared to experience. The key is balance.

What matters more in my experience is if the schooling is done in religious (any) in nature. Where it is done that everything is more focused on religion it can push people in one of two directions. Either the child will be pushed in a more fanatical in nature ideology or it will push kids to the other extreme that they rebel in the other direction of never wanting anything to do with it or the values ever again. Every time I have seen it done myself one or the other happens, about a dozen instances, and often that is more of the issue for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2009, 11:59 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,641,594 times
I know of three families who decided to keep the kids at home to home school them. Out of the three, only one Mom doesn't do it correctly and her child is behind others his age.

Now, the other two families have very smart kids. The Mom who does all the teaching is also very smart and versatiles. Both families homeschooling involves road trips, trips to farms, museums, factories, etc.. Its amazing to me to see that teaching from home can be so worthwhile. I think the responsibility falls on the teaching parent, they themselves have to be extremely drive, organized, intelligent and focused - having those things (and others) in place will make for very successful home schooling. Both friends of mine who were doing it right had their kids place above everyone else in their age group / grade for SAT's and both students started college before their peers and continue to excel.

So, whoever said homeschooling can be good if done correctly is exactly right.

Old 08-30-2009, 09:21 AM

3 posts, read 5,634 times
Default Admission to Public Schools

I have a question here; My nephew who is coming to join his job in USA with his child studying in Indian school system. How does his son gets admitted into public School? In what grade? By Age? or by a test conducted by school to admit ib a specific grade?
Thanks,
Davendra

Old 08-30-2009, 09:28 AM

2,367 posts, read 7,653,873 times
I think home schooling depends on the parents. I tried it for my tenth grade year, but as much as I think my parents are great they weren't strict. I ended up not doing any of the work. I eventually dropped out of high school all together and got a GED this year.

Old 08-30-2009, 10:00 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davendrak View Post
I have a question here; My nephew who is coming to join his job in USA with his child studying in Indian school system. How does his son gets admitted into public School? In what grade? By Age? or by a test conducted by school to admit ib a specific grade?
Thanks,
Davendra
Each individual school or school district will have its own procedure for placing a new student. In the case of a child coming from another country, they can still look at his school records to see what level was reached in courses like mathematics. In the case of a child under about 12, they might just do a pesonal interview, make a judgment of what grade seems right, and then after a few weeks move the child up or down if he seems to have been placed inappropriately. They don't treat it as rocket science, and any placement is considered flexible, so it can be adjusted later. It is highly likely that, whatever method they use, the child will be in his correct grade within a month or so.

School curricula vary from state to state, and the schools have new students from out of state every year, so they are very accustomed to solving these problems.

I'm assuming, coming from India, that the child is already fluent in English above his American age level, so that would not be a factor unless the child has difficulty at first understainding the American accent.

Old 08-31-2009, 11:13 AM

3,007 posts, read 6,286,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Either are only better or worse according to how well they achieve their objective. Every home schooling parent has an individualized objective. Some merely want to indoctrinate their children in their own dogma. Some what their children to enjoy the benefit of a classical education. Some set out to duplicate, more or less, the outcome of a public school education. All of which are very different.

Furthermore, some parents are more competent than others at pedagogy, and their mileage may vary.

Simply put, education of a young human being is not a difficult task, given the natural inquisitiveness of most healthy children. As they grow up in the world, it would be difficult to retard their education. We have set out a couple of faculties that we consider essential to education, namely, the Three Rs. Everything else is just extracurricular, although a basic grasp of science and history are necessary to ascribe a context to daily life. If those faculties are reasonably well addressed, the child will manage as an adult according to whatever intellectual talents he brought into the world with him.

Sadly, education is increasingly knowledge-based, at the expense of wisdom. Our knowledge has grown exponentially, while we stumble along with about the same stagnated level of wisdom that mankind possessed a couple of thousand years ago. Caring home-schoolers might be able to overcome that impediment which the public schools fall prey to.
This is a good post. Thank you.

To the OP: not to be cheeky, but it depends on the "home" and the "schooling." the purely academic potential is staggering and more attractive than it should be. But the price of private schooling is so ridiculous and the the ambition of most public and private schools, long on knowledge (although only somewhat) and short on wisdom, that home schooling is perhaps more attractive than it should be.

S.

Old 08-31-2009, 04:10 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,381,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davendrak View Post
Thanks,
Davendra
It depends on how old the child is.

I know my sons mom started school at 4 in Germany, because her father was stationed there. When she came to the states, she had to wait a year before she could retake kindergarten, because they wouldn't accept the German school, and she was to young.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates