Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 10:30 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times

Advertisements

I like a beer now and then too, but I would gladly give up my two or three a week, if doing so would put an end to the social and public cost of those who abuse alcohol. I would give up beer forever, if I thought it would stop one drunken lout from beating his wife and kids. Wouldn't you? Would you give up your pets forever, if you thought it would put an end to the abuse and suffering of dogs and cats?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 10:38 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I like a beer now and then too, but I would gladly give up my two or three a week, if doing so would put an end to the social and public cost of those who abuse alcohol. I would give up beer forever, if I thought it would stop one drunken lout from beating his wife and kids. Wouldn't you? Would you give up your pets forever, if you thought it would put an end to the abuse and suffering of dogs and cats?
Nope,

I'm not a babysitter. I worry about my family, everyone else can do what they like. I may not like what they do, and if it directly effects me, I deal with it my way. However, I am not going to tell others what they can and cannot do, if it doesn't hurt me or my family.

Old 08-06-2009, 10:43 AM

985 posts, read 2,601,051 times
Quote:
What do you think we should do with our pets? Kill them? I didn't even want my cats, they got dumped on me, but I am now responsible for their well being and won't give them up. And how would my getting rid of them put a stop to other people irresponsibly having pets?

Old 08-06-2009, 12:17 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,815,703 times
We shouldnt' just kill the unwanted pets. There is a thriving market in China for cat and dog meat. We are wasting a great profit opportunity here.

Old 08-06-2009, 12:54 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,298,818 times
They should be banned and there should be limits on who can breed dogs. The problem is no one wants to create these laws to protect the animals. They would rather them over populate and then kill all the ones that end up unwanted.

Old 08-06-2009, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaye02 View Post
What do you think we should do with our pets? Kill them? I didn't even want my cats, they got dumped on me, but I am now responsible for their well being and won't give them up. And how would my getting rid of them put a stop to other people irresponsibly having pets?
Do whatever you want with your pets. What do you do with cockroaches? Don't encourage other people to get pets. Don't try to convince other people that they'd be happier if they had a pet. Let them figure that our for themselves.

Old 08-06-2009, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
We shouldnt' just kill the unwanted pets. There is a thriving market in China for cat and dog meat. We are wasting a great profit opportunity here.
Why ship them? Sell them to the Chinese restaurants in your own home town. If the owners don't put them ion the menu, they'll at least serve them at home to their family. Farm children get very attached to their lambs and piglets, too. What do you think happens to them?

Old 08-06-2009, 01:25 PM

985 posts, read 2,601,051 times
Quote:
Do whatever you want with your pets. What do you do with cockroaches? Don't encourage other people to get pets. Don't try to convince other people that they'd be happier if they had a pet. Let them figure that our for themselves.
I don't, I don't care if others have pets or not, and you didn't answer my question. How is my having a pet going to stop irresponsible people from having them

Old 08-06-2009, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaye02 View Post
I don't, I don't care if others have pets or not, and you didn't answer my question. How is my having a pet going to stop irresponsible people from having them
The most effective way to influence people is by example. If a kid sees your cute puppy and begs his mother for a cute puppy his own, you are running a calculated risk that that kid will not be a responsible pet owner.

In order to counter that argument, you would have to show that in general, pet ownership is a valuable and positive thing for the community, which should be preserved even at the risk of abuse. But it is not. A very small number of people actually need a pet, as opposed to merely wanting one as one of their many luxuries in their life.

Old 08-06-2009, 02:22 PM

814 posts, read 2,307,213 times
Quote:
Why ship them? Sell them to the Chinese restaurants in your own home town. If the owners don't put them ion the menu, they'll at least serve them at home to their family. Farm children get very attached to their lambs and piglets, too. What do you think happens to them?
uh, their kids even if they are chinese are probably not going to want to eat that. they probably like pets too and don't want to eat a cat or dog. i don't know about older gen chinese but i think some or most of them don't want to eat it either if they've lived in the west for awhile.

technically it is a waste but eating something you consider a pet is disturbing to the mind especially if you see it as a family member.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates