Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 10:31 PM

367 posts, read 1,023,791 times

Advertisements

Should safe parking include tornado shelters in vulnerable areas? (http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-31836-Dallas-Trucking-Examiner~y2010m5d10-Should-safe-parking-include-tornado-shelters-in-vulnerable-areas# - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2010, 07:10 AM

3,562 posts, read 5,226,349 times
You know, I have learned more about trucking from your posts then I ever knew.

So, I don't understand why the truckers were not allowed to go back with the employees. I have never lived in an area that had a tornado siren or sighting go off where anyone that was present was not taken with the employees. I find that out of line.

Old 05-11-2010, 10:21 AM

1,327 posts, read 3,678,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladihawkae View Post
Should safe parking include tornado shelters in vulnerable areas? (http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-31836-Dallas-Trucking-Examiner~y2010m5d10-Should-safe-parking-include-tornado-shelters-in-vulnerable-areas# - broken link)

It's a good idea, but whose going to pay for it and who will be taking care of them?

If it is in a truck stop (gas station) does the store owner have to pay for it?

If it's on the interstates they would have to be monitored and cleaned up from time to time because unfortunately there are some nasty people out there that will use these areas for other things beside shelter?

Old 05-11-2010, 12:09 PM

731 posts, read 1,579,624 times
I can't believe the truck drivers were not allowed in the cooler, that is terrible. Anyone seeking shelter should be welcomed into any place of business. The truck drivers are what keeps commerce alive in the US.
If shelters are needed, and god forbid it be the FEMA shelters now advertised, then the state should pay for the shelters and the upkeep, the same as the rest areas.

Old 05-11-2010, 12:20 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,692,872 times
States in Tornado Alley should provide shelters at every rest stop on the line. It wouldn't be a problem because it could be underground and locked unless there is a threat. Any driver, truck or car should be able to be safe when tornado activity is nearby.

Rest areas are spaced far enough apart that there wouldn't be hundreds of shelters necessary, but having them would make travelling through those states easier.

Old 05-11-2010, 01:43 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,998,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post
States in Tornado Alley should provide shelters at every rest stop on the line. It wouldn't be a problem because it could be underground and locked unless there is a threat. Any driver, truck or car should be able to be safe when tornado activity is nearby.

Rest areas are spaced far enough apart that there wouldn't be hundreds of shelters necessary, but having them would make travelling through those states easier.
But then who would unlock the shelters when they were needed?
I know in Mo, there is not staff on hand at rest stops 24/7.

Old 05-11-2010, 03:52 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,135,399 times
Wow! This is really interesting, and something I've never thought about before. I agree that having tornado shelters at the rest stops in tornado alley would be a good thing, and not just for truckers.

Old 05-11-2010, 03:59 PM

2,811 posts, read 5,625,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
You know, I have learned more about trucking from your posts then I ever knew.

So, I don't understand why the truckers were not allowed to go back with the employees. I have never lived in an area that had a tornado siren or sighting go off where anyone that was present was not taken with the employees. I find that out of line.
I and my wife would chase storms on occasion when we lived back in the Midwest, and in April 2006 we were in a gas station using the restroom in this little town named Washington, Kansas when the storm we were watching developed a tornado that moved into the outskirts of town. The sirens went off, we were still inside the gas station- and guess what the attendants did? They kicked us all OUT! They said that was their policy. Not sure if it was for liability reasons, or what but it was crazy. Fortunately for us we were getting ready to leave anyway to get behind the tornado and get pictures of it, but I felt bad for others in there who were possibly scared and didn't know where to go. Fortunately the tornado never hit that part of town, the gas station was fine.

Old 05-11-2010, 05:17 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,226,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
I and my wife would chase storms on occasion when we lived back in the Midwest, and in April 2006 we were in a gas station using the restroom in this little town named Washington, Kansas when the storm we were watching developed a tornado that moved into the outskirts of town. The sirens went off, we were still inside the gas station- and guess what the attendants did? They kicked us all OUT! They said that was their policy. Not sure if it was for liability reasons, or what but it was crazy. Fortunately for us we were getting ready to leave anyway to get behind the tornado and get pictures of it, but I felt bad for others in there who were possibly scared and didn't know where to go. Fortunately the tornado never hit that part of town, the gas station was fine.
That just blows my mind. I lived in Ok and that is just insane. Of course, it goes without saying that I have never been at a gas station or truck stop when the siren goes off or there is a tornado sighted.

Old 05-11-2010, 06:33 PM

367 posts, read 1,023,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LABART View Post
It's a good idea, but whose going to pay for it and who will be taking care of them?

If it is in a truck stop (gas station) does the store owner have to pay for it?

If it's on the interstates they would have to be monitored and cleaned up from time to time because unfortunately there are some nasty people out there that will use these areas for other things beside shelter?

ya know, I've been thinking about that very question. how to pay for it and there has to be an answer. I no longer drive but my husband drives. My sister and brother in law drive. this is why I started to write the column.

truckers pay a fuel tax and road use tax. wouldn't it make sense to use money from those funds to build shelters? there are already rest areas in most states (that are still open) so there is already a place for drivers to park so maybe put in a shelter in those places. Texas has a few, like in Quanah.
this topic is dear to my heart because I've been on some of these roads during a tornado warning and let me tell ya...it is scary. hwy 2 in nebraska has no shoulder for stopping let alone finding a safe place in the event of a tornado. Plus, they say what county the tornado is in and that leaves drivers wondering where the heck these things are.
I was outside a town in Kansas that got wiped out a few years ago by a tornado. I saw that thing and was fortunate to see a rest area. by the time I got back on the road that tornado destroyed the town.
One other thing. my husband was in Memphis TN last year during a tornado and they would not let him inside the plant. the tornado took out the building next to the plant. really scary. He doesn't haul out of that plant anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates