Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 09:55 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
It seems like there was a country where age difference was a factor in age of consent. Like if you were under-21 you could be okay if the other person was within 2-3 years of your own age. That could maybe get dicey on 14-year-olds with 11-year-olds, but otherwise might work.
Quite a few states have sliding age-consent laws, which are weighted by the age differential, as well. There is no simple answer to finding what is appropriate, but the bottom line is that a person who does something sexual with neither result nor intent of actual violent harm ought not to be treated like a criminal, and age doesn't have any real relevance in that determination.

Statuatory rape is almost always opportunistic, I don't believe there are very many perps who are making a life of trolling for inexperienced young girls that they can pop, and those who do are probably unsuccessful without resorting to some felonious sort of violence that would be criminal regardless of the age of the victim.

About half of all underage girls are sexually active, and virtually all have let at least one boy do something with them that would have been a felony if done by an adult. That is a fact of life, and if you want to repair it, throwing men in prison forever is not the way to go about it effecting social change.

AS a society, we've been conditioned to fear leering creeps, and no doubt there are plenty of those. But they are harmless, unless they actually act forcefully on some young girl (or boy). What teenager would want to get in the van with one of them?

Last edited by jtur88; 01-06-2010 at 10:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2010, 01:25 PM

324 posts, read 573,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I concur with the OP. Like so many of our petty laws, they are childish and spiteful, and driven by a tiny number of people harboring psychopathic fears and hatreds.
I'm blocked to give you a positive rating for your comments in this thread, though I don't remember last time, I gave you one.
So, I'm doing that publicly!

Yes, it is silly how some of those laws are making nonsense, just unnecessarily harming some people.
As it's been stated, it is a big difference, when someone has a sexual behaviour with a person almost his/her age, in comparison to sex behaviour from an adult to a child, for example. The former should be normal, while the latter is very inapropriate.

Old 01-06-2010, 11:06 PM

2,754 posts, read 6,101,409 times
It's no secret that America is a puritan nation that is paradoxically obsessed with sex. Most people titter and talk about it all the time, like a bunch of adolescents in a swimming pool discovering their *******s for the first time. Doubt it? Just go in any store with a good magazine collection and stand back and glance at all the magazine covers. Or turn on prime time TV and flip around the channels. That being said, pedophiles are poster boys for the death penalty, in my opinion. But sex crimes must be punished on a case-by-case basis. To ruin the life of a 18 or 19 or even 21 y.o. boy for consentual sex with a 17 y.o. girl is patently absurd and machiavellian.

Old 01-07-2010, 08:12 AM

392 posts, read 1,095,726 times
You know its funny that "sex offender" gets all the attention here. Fact is, there are hundreds of laws that are not applied in the "spirit of the law" but rather by the letter of the law. Tens of thousands of good, decent, hard working Americans have their lives ruined by these laws that are applied in extreme ways.

I think any adult who preys upon children should be locked away for life! I think anyone who sexually assaults another person, should be locked away for life. But the examples in the OP are not what the law was intended for, but is how it being applied.

And you know why this happens right? So some prosecutor can add more convictions to his resume. Its not about the "victim" or doing good for society, its about one person making himself look good.

What's new? Happens all the time in this country. Until it happens to you, most are blind to all this nonsense.

Old 01-07-2010, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone_Sculpture_Artist View Post

I think any adult who preys upon children should be locked away for life! I think anyone who sexually assaults another person, should be locked away for life. .
I think this is an excessively draconian judicial proposal, harmful to the interests of humanity and the republic. I think anyone who expresses and fosters such a barbarically punitive opinion should be locked away for life.

By the way, all through December, I saw hundreds of TV ads produced and paid for by adults preying upon children. When I wheel my grocery cart thorugh the cereal aisle, I see the work of adults preying upon children. When I turn the radio on, I hear noise created by adults preying upon children. Lock them away for life.

The marketing of junk food is a thousand times more harmful to children than patting them on playfully on the butt. And probably more harmful than outright sexual molestation, because the junk-food diet conditions them to lifelong habitual self-destructive behavior.

Last edited by jtur88; 01-07-2010 at 08:26 AM..

Old 01-07-2010, 08:23 AM

Quote:
I think this is an excessively draconian judicial proposal, harmful to the interests of humanity and the republic. I think anyone who expresses such a view should be locked away for life.

By the way, all through December, I saw hundreds of TV ads produced and paid for by adults preying upon children. When I wheel my grocery cart thorugh the cereal aisle, I see the work of adults preying upon children. When I turn the radio on, I hear noise created by adults preying upon children. Lock them away for life.
Perhaps a better way to put it into perspective for you. Most people would honorably take the life of a sexual predator who preys upon innocent children, if given the chance. It's one of the most sickest, disgusting acts a human can engage in. It ruins lives! Something some people are incapable of understanding..........gools!

Old 01-07-2010, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Most people would honorably take the life of a sexual predator who preys upon innocent children, if given the chance.
I'm sorry, I don't think any civilized people would honorably take the life of anyone.

However, as we learned in Vietnam, we can take perfectly honorable young men and train them to napalm innocent children and then stand there and there and watch them burn alive. Which is what you want to train all the rest of us to be willing to do to human beings.

You may wake up in the morning ready to go out and spend your day honorably torturing human beings if you like, but I will stand up against you.

Old 01-07-2010, 09:03 AM

Quote:
I'm sorry, I don't think any civilized people would honorably take the life of anyone.

However, as we learned in Vietnam, we can take perfectly honorable young men and train them to napalm innocent children and then stand there and there and watch them burn alive. Which is what you want to train all the rest of us to be willing to do to human beings.

You may wake up in the morning ready to go out and spend your day honorably torturing human beings if you like, but I will stand up against you.
As per usual, you present a totally fabircated, strawman's arguement. It's been shown over and over those who are sexual predators do not reform. ITS WHO THEY ARE! They do not change. And of those predators, those who prey upon children, need not be among us in society. Most people feel this way. The only difference is whether to lock them up for life, or execute them.

You only see the act, after the fact, when its being mopped up. But imagine if you will, you come home from work early one day and the daycare worker is doing your 9 year old child! You actually catch him in the act. In speaking for myself, that daycare worker would never been given that opportunity again to harm a child. The sorry reality is, we usually catch these guys years later when the child can speak for him or herself, so we water it down and pass it off. The instinctual rage and reaction one would likely have of seeing it first hand, would end all debate on this topic once and for all.

Old 01-07-2010, 09:12 AM

Quote:
The instinctual rage and reaction one would likely have of seeing it first hand, would end all debate on this topic once and for all.

Kill them all. Kill everybody. Instinctual rage is all the justification we need.

Old 01-07-2010, 04:40 PM

2,754 posts, read 6,101,409 times
Quote:

If you look up the word "maudlin" in Webster's, it says: "see: Jtur88 post."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates