Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 05:35 PM

3,778 posts, read 5,325,949 times

Advertisements

I think that younger people tend to be more brand conscious than older people. It probably has a lot to do with older people realizing the need to save more money for retirement once one gets over 40 and, thus, deciding to forgo that new car, new outfit, new whatever in place of saving the money.

One of my Malay colleagues drives a new car every year. Her husband makes good ringgit and wants her to drive around in style. What they don't seem to realize is that cars are depreciating assets. The money sunk into a car is gone forever. I bought the cheapest thing I could find for my wife, and then a motorcycle (used) for myself. I now mostly walk to work, but the savings account is going up very nicely, thank you.

The online Wall Street Journal carried an article a few months back about car envy. The article basically said that people do NOT look favorably upon those who buy new cars, but rather have an envy well up within them. Of course, if it is a friend perhaps you are glad? Probably not. So, as to buying a new car: what's the point? In Malaysia, it is the new and top-brand cars that get car-jacked (at intersections) or stolen from parking lots.

Old 08-21-2009, 10:05 PM

2,450 posts, read 5,601,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
His words live on in my head even today: "Stay modest and humble...Don't wrap your entire identity around what you own, or where you live or work...."

"Keep your feet firmly planted on the ground...Keep a low-profile in life...Don't put on airs or pretend to be someone you're not...."
(And I'm glad!!)
I think I might like your parents in some ways. I'm not quite "old" yet, but have some older attitudes when it comes to this way of thinking.

Last edited by bluebeard; 08-21-2009 at 11:28 PM..

Old 08-23-2009, 08:31 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,989,335 times
In the 1980s Mad magazine did a piece on Yuppies and introduced two new groups becoming important. The Yullies (Young Urban Laborers) and the Yufflies (Young Urban Failures). Yullies wore hard hats, Dickies pants, Tees with sports logos (NFL or NASCAR), drove F150s or GMC trucks and smoked. The dog was a macho breed. Yuffies had no vehicles, dogs because they couldn't afford them. The clothing was worn and based on second hand (ie. Goodwill) they wore sneakers. Hair was a bit on the long side and vaguely Latino.

Old 08-23-2009, 09:35 PM

7,125 posts, read 12,661,810 times
I understand what you're saying in your first post, CArizona, and I agree. The constant diet of new and better gets old real fast-- and trying to top your neighbors and friends with more toys or more exotic trips puts one's energy in places that felt empty and vapid. That's why we up and left our very yuppy No. CA neighborhood and moved to a small town in coastal NC.

The working class street we'd lived had transitioned, over 18 years, from having beat-up old Hondas and VWS to having BMW's and Saabs. We knew it was time for us to go...

Weary of the pace and the race for always more, both of longed for substance over flash. Most of our new friends here work with their hands, or at non-profits, or do part-time jobs to support their art or music passions...there's not a yuppy among them. What a breath of fresh air!

Last edited by LittleDolphin; 08-23-2009 at 09:36 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 08-23-2009, 09:56 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,671,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSU Tiger Z71 View Post
I guess having fun, eating at great restaurants, having nice things and being young is a curse huh?
It's certainly can become a curse if you're doing it on credit - and that seems to be the most commonly accepted paradigm for Yuppies.

Old 08-28-2009, 08:09 PM

4,164 posts, read 6,314,426 times
Teak: Sorry that I took so long to respond back. Thanks for your posts.

I don't think that I really have "car-envy." When my friends or family members finally get around to buying new vehicles...I am happy for them. But, none of my close friends are into buying luxury cars every 2 years or so. (This isn't part of our culture!!)

I tend to "bond" with my cars anyway and it's hard to "let go" of them. They become "my faithful and trusted friends"....Like a horse...who is part of my family! And, I definitely don't want to put my horse (or car) "to sleep" prematurely. This just wouldn't feel right to me at all.

I tend to "bond" with all of my possessions in this same way. I only buy something new when an item breaks, or no longer works, etc. And, I feel sad when I have to "put something out to pasture" because it no longer works anymore. This has always been hard for me. How about you? Thanks for your posts and more soon, CK

Old 08-28-2009, 08:25 PM

32 posts, read 82,114 times
I was a yuppie in the 80s and 90s, working in tech. Sounds like yuppies have changed significantly, as have the stereotypes and attitudes toward them.

For me, it was about working tons of hours, having huge responsibilities in my job, acquiring a taste for eating out more oftne (which I was then able to afford) and drinking gallons of coffee, diet Coke and espresso, all of which, along with the job stress, tore up my stomach. I left

There are nice yuppies just as there are in any other labeled group people aren't a part of but like to speculate about. Often because they wish they were in that group and couldn't get in--at least, that was the conversation often thrown my way at parties back when I was a yuppie. The jealousy and even hatred at my "success" was weird.

For me, success is a happy life helping others, as a yuppie, an antiques dealer, a musician, a strawberry picker--all jobs I've held. YMMV.

Old 08-28-2009, 09:37 PM

4,164 posts, read 6,314,426 times
Little Dolphin:

Thanks for writing. I'm glad that you were able to escape your former neighborhood in CA...and found what you were looking for in NC! YEA!!!!

When we first moved to AZ, we were so happy to have "plain dirt" in our front yard. (Along with a few bushes and a little, minor trim.)

It felt like a breath of fresh air to get away from all of the enforced "manicured lawns" in So. CA. We felt free, free, free to be "who we wanted to be"...and not who the city and neighbors "felt we should be" when we lived back in CA.

But, nothing lasts forever....Sad!! The "invasion" of newcomers from So. CA over the past few years completely changed our town. Now, we have strict city ordinances concerning "how our front yard is supposed to look!!" (And "plain dirt" just doesn't impress the CA newcomers!!)

More and more sidewalks and street lights are going in...So, it's hard to see stars in the sky at night anymore. (Sad!) Our peaceful and stress-free life has basically come to end and it will be time for us to "seek out own own kind" in a new city and state soon. Hopefully, we're not becoming an "endangered species!!"

More soon and thanks for writing! I'm glad you're happy in NC. This gives us hope!! CK

Old 08-28-2009, 09:45 PM

742 posts, read 1,228,285 times
are yuppies really the biggest problem in california? i can think of at least one other group....

Old 08-29-2009, 09:48 AM

37,800 posts, read 41,003,240 times
The "U" stand for "Urban" so if you are in the suburbs, you don't qualify as a yuppie. Why are people so concerned with people they aren't? If it weren't for those yuppies some here despise, Obama would have to lower his monetary definition of "rich" (to probably the amount of money you make) for the purpose of increasing taxes/ Who do you think is paying the bulk of the money for all those social programs you love?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates