Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 10:34 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,877,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamHarman View Post
The social law studies, estimates the 88% of all citizens have committed crimes that per US laws would land them in prison for 2 years or greater if known. The difference between you and Vick? He got caught. Yea, sure maybe yours was not killing dogs, but most all of you here, have done something in your life that gets you 2 years, minimum. And most of you hear will deni it. Until late tonight, just before you go to bed, you let loose of your self denial and think about all those crimes, "technical" or otherwise, that you did years ago and got away with.

Ever "exagerated" on a loan application and faxed or mailed it"........wire fraud, bank fraud
Ever smacked you kid when you were really angry......child abuse
Ever lied on your tax return?
Ever been in a fight and threw one extra punch?
I can go on for days, but you get the point.
ever carried a gun in your glove box under your seat?
Ever had an extra drink then drove home
Ever fed wildlife in a national park?

There are over 9000 federal laws alone, not counting individual state laws. Most of you don't know what 1% of them are.

Vick is scum, but at least he did his time. When you get caught, you can do yours. And I hope you get the same welcome home reception he is getting.

Now go ahead, cast your judgemental stones............

Link to that srtudy your quoting from please. I high doubt since all laws are based on intent that is true at all.It might also be pointed out that legal punishemnt is only one consequence of breaking the law just as breaking trust is as studies have shown within families. It bas=asically changes the whole human relationship facvtor as Mr. Vick is learning. The serve your time means little in many crimes as to what the consequences really are;which should give people thought. No one can change that and it is very hard to grain what is loos but some have doen in over time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2009, 08:45 PM

315 posts, read 776,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Link to that srtudy your quoting from please. I high doubt since all laws are based on intent that is true at all.It might also be pointed out that legal punishemnt is only one consequence of breaking the law just as breaking trust is as studies have shown within families. It bas=asically changes the whole human relationship facvtor as Mr. Vick is learning. The serve your time means little in many crimes as to what the consequences really are;which should give people thought. No one can change that and it is very hard to grain what is loos but some have doen in over time.
All laws based on itent? Willfull conduct? LMAO, that is not true and a false myth many believe. There are hundreds upon hundreds of laws on the books that do not require intent to prosecute.

I do agree with the second part of your post. People pay for their crimes far beyond simply sitting in prison. Most people who go through the process of being prosecuted, will tell you that actually going to prison was the easiest part. The unknown, the fear, the loss of trust, the loss of status, the loss of money, the anticipation of doing time, the aftermath of going back to society, is what eats people alive. The actual time (assuming its not a real long term) is the easy part. Ask anyone who has been through the process.

Vick got whacked with a heck of a lot more then 18 months in prison. This was a guy who had 160 million in liquid assest and betwenn football and all his endorsements another $30 million a year. It's all gone and 99% of it will never come back. So yes, he paid in more ways then just prison camp. Is it enough? That is the real question.

Old 09-19-2009, 09:35 PM

2,242 posts, read 6,242,623 times
Pfft, hes still getting payed more then any of us.
Who cares if he lost 30 million a year

Old 09-20-2009, 06:08 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,610,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Pfft, hes still getting payed more then any of us.
Who cares if he lost 30 million a year
This does help to explain his "heartfelt apology." I mean, let's face it: if he didn't say something, there was a possibility of his never having another multimillion-dollar year again! Anyone would start apologizing faced with a situation like that.

Old 09-20-2009, 07:21 AM

2,422 posts, read 2,280,191 times
Quote:
All laws based on itent? Willfull conduct? LMAO, that is not true and a false myth many believe. There are hundreds upon hundreds of laws on the books that do not require intent to prosecute.

I do agree with the second part of your post. People pay for their crimes far beyond simply sitting in prison. Most people who go through the process of being prosecuted, will tell you that actually going to prison was the easiest part. The unknown, the fear, the loss of trust, the loss of status, the loss of money, the anticipation of doing time, the aftermath of going back to society, is what eats people alive. The actual time (assuming its not a real long term) is the easy part. Ask anyone who has been through the process.

Vick got whacked with a heck of a lot more then 18 months in prison. This was a guy who had 160 million in liquid assest and betwenn football and all his endorsements another $30 million a year. It's all gone and 99% of it will never come back. So yes, he paid in more ways then just prison camp. Is it enough? That is the real question.
Do you forgive him? What he did says more about what type of person he is than having to do with the crime.

Old 09-20-2009, 08:19 AM

4,176 posts, read 10,690,790 times
I always found it amusing how many folks who go to prison say "I'm sorry" - or they "find God". (I keep missing the memos - will someone please email me the next time God goes missing? I'd like to be the one who "finds" Him!)

I'm not a PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals) loony, but the animals I raise for meat are killed swiftly and as humanely as possible - and treated and fed as well as their counterparts whom I let live, reproduce, and produce. The "rape stanchions" and other articles and applications used in Vick's "business" of dogfighting and breeding the most vicious animals possible are reprehensible. To me this is like pulling the wings off of flies or setting cats on fire and letting them run - it was torture, plain and simple, with a means to an end, just like a serial killer or child molester. And a serial killer or child molester has no concern or sympathy for his victims, either - they are merely a means to an end. People who torture animals for money would do the same to humans if given a chance - they are missing a conscience. Saying "I'm sorry" doesn't make it all better, nor does it indicate a reformed individual. There is NO meaning to Vick's apology, any more than to a serial killer or child molester finding God in prison. Given a chance, they will hurt anyone or anything for their own pleasure and/or gain.

(Yeah, I got the whole "Onion" satire - I just think that any discussion of Vick is naturally going to bring out what he really DID do. And as usual the "Onion" in fine detail displays the moral collapse and excusatory nature of society in general, indicating what we will now accept as a 'norm'. Ha. Ha. Very funny.)

Old 09-20-2009, 08:57 AM

25,758 posts, read 18,826,754 times
Quote:
This was a guy who had 160 million in liquid assest and betwenn football and all his endorsements another $30 million a year. It's all gone and 99% of it will never come back.
That's really heart wrenching. I'm having a hard time holding back the tears. Guess he'll have to go out and find a job like the rest of us shmucks. Horrible, really.

Old 09-20-2009, 09:21 AM

315 posts, read 776,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aveojohn View Post
Do you forgive him? What he did says more about what type of person he is than having to do with the crime.
Nope, I do not forgive him. I hate what he did. My stance on this thread is two things. 1. To point out that basic human nature is from a hypocritical perspective. "I am holly then thou, because I can judge, but don't look at the things I've done." And 2. Based on the society we all take part in, a free one at that, he paid for his crime.

He is a scumbag, this I know. I'm not arguing that position. I have two dogs and would not harm a hair on their body, but the fact remains, we elect officials who make laws. By those laws, he paid for his crimes.

Once again..........Was it enough? If you say no, call your representatives and demand tougher laws to protect animals.

Old 09-20-2009, 01:42 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,610,917 times
Quote:
He is a scumbag, this I know. I'm not arguing that position. I have two dogs and would not harm a hair on their body, but the fact remains, we elect officials who make laws. By those laws, he paid for his crimes.
Of course, he's considered to have paid for his crimes because he's a professional athlete, which equals celebrity, so the law isn't exactly enforced equally. Can you tell me that if you did the same thing Vick did, you'd be walking around free today?

Old 09-21-2009, 06:57 AM

2,422 posts, read 2,280,191 times
Why wasn't Pete Rose ever reinstated?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates