Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 07:32 PM

18,160 posts, read 15,632,241 times

Advertisements

8/26/09 Reno NV Three separate , unrelated shooting incidents. two involved gang members shooting other gang members, one banger was killed. The other was an armed home invasion, stopped cold by an armed homeowner. Everyone involved in all the shootings was armed, good guys and bad. The gang related shootings, well, good riddance. The home invader, same thing. I think the stats for armed crime victims vs unarmed just widened a bit. If the homeowner had not been armed? Well, he would have certainly been food. Makes a bit of a case for refusing to submit, and fighting fire with fire. Even in a city such as Reno, populated by 'peaceful' criminals, who are easy to just turn ones back on. Fight crime.....shoot back! Accuratly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2009, 07:55 PM

4,474 posts, read 5,414,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
8/26/09 Reno NV Three separate , unrelated shooting incidents. two involved gang members shooting other gang members, one banger was killed. The other was an armed home invasion, stopped cold by an armed homeowner. Everyone involved in all the shootings was armed, good guys and bad. The gang related shootings, well, good riddance. The home invader, same thing. I think the stats for armed crime victims vs unarmed just widened a bit. If the homeowner had not been armed? Well, he would have certainly been food. Makes a bit of a case for refusing to submit, and fighting fire with fire. Even in a city such as Reno, populated by 'peaceful' criminals, who are easy to just turn ones back on. Fight crime.....shoot back! Accuratly
Gun control - Shooting what you're aiming at.

Old 08-27-2009, 08:04 PM

1,700 posts, read 3,424,829 times
One of the many things I dislike NY for is the fact that if you are threatened in your own home you are practically supposed to run and hide and hope they don't find/rape/kill you. My father and I have had guns for years and well you know the old "Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my gun" line. I own a semi-auto shotgun that I use to furiously attack clay pidgeons with. Great release and fun for the family. Really.

I feel that many of the things that "neo-cons" overhype are really pertinent issues but they do start hyping early. But then again there's a lot of sly things going on that you wouldn't really know about, ie; NYS pushing into law a mandatory vaccine for "Swine flu" for health care workers.

Old 08-28-2009, 08:59 PM

742 posts, read 1,228,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc99 View Post
One of the many things I dislike NY for is the fact that if you are threatened in your own home you are practically supposed to run and hide and hope they don't find/rape/kill you. My father and I have had guns for years and well you know the old "Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my gun" line. I own a semi-auto shotgun that I use to furiously attack clay pidgeons with. Great release and fun for the family. Really.

I feel that many of the things that "neo-cons" overhype are really pertinent issues but they do start hyping early. But then again there's a lot of sly things going on that you wouldn't really know about, ie; NYS pushing into law a mandatory vaccine for "Swine flu" for health care workers.
the runa nd hide law is a liberal achivement... why no anger towards them?

Old 08-28-2009, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stycotl View Post
that is certainly possible, though i would bet otherwise simply by the nature of the situation. but again, that is my opinion. on these forums though, i have no doubt that the theists tend to be more head-in-the-sand, fingers-in-the-ears.
i dunno, seems like every self titled atheist just goes into any forum and repeats a mantra of " you are a sheep, i am enlightened"

Old 08-28-2009, 10:17 PM

2,631 posts, read 5,456,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcinsov View Post
i dunno, seems like every self titled atheist just goes into any forum and repeats a mantra of " you are a sheep, i am enlightened"
i have definitely seen that, but at the same time, i see their opposition doing the same thing. either way, i am in no way saying that there is not ignorance aplenty on both sides.

i just think that there is usually less on the side of the atheists, and part of that would be the psych side of the issue: that from what i have read, fewer people are born into atheism, and so it is actually a somewhat educated decision when they claim it.

compare that to how many people are born into a religion and never even question its veracity or if there could be truth outside of their organized religion.

realize, by the way, that this is coming from a religious guy; i am pretty satisfied with my faith, though i recognize that it is just faith and not knowledge, but i try to make it an intellectual journey as much as it is spiritual.

anyway, we are getting sidetracked. back to battle stations!

aaron out.

Old 08-28-2009, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stycotl View Post
i have definitely seen that, but at the same time, i see their opposition doing the same thing. either way, i am in no way saying that there is not ignorance aplenty on both sides.

i just think that there is usually less on the side of the atheists, and part of that would be the psych side of the issue: that from what i have read, fewer people are born into atheism, and so it is actually a somewhat educated decision when they claim it.

compare that to how many people are born into a religion and never even question its veracity or if there could be truth outside of their organized religion.
i dont know how educated a person has to be to say : i don't believe in god"
but ill do one better no one is born wiccan and most of those people are dumb****s.

remember irish Catholicism was one of the refuges of knowledge and wisdom during he dark ages.
im not saying atheists CAN'T be educated merely that one in no way begets the other.

Old 08-29-2009, 02:05 PM

2,631 posts, read 5,456,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcinsov View Post
i dont know how educated a person has to be to say : i don't believe in god"
but ill do one better no one is born wiccan and most of those people are dumb****s.

remember irish Catholicism was one of the refuges of knowledge and wisdom during he dark ages.
im not saying atheists CAN'T be educated merely that one in no way begets the other.
realize though that i am not claiming that atheism begets intelligence or vice versa. i am just noting which group in my experience has more and which group has fewer open-minded individuals. and the catholic church was also a bastion of fear-mongering and heretic-burning during those same dark ages, and it can be argued that their intolerance back then not only cost many people their lives simply for not believing blindly, but that it also set back scientific progress during those centuries.

either way, i'd say that we ought to quit while we're ahead, or at least take this to a new thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates