Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 06:57 PM

1,332 posts, read 1,990,286 times

Advertisements

I was just sitting here reading these forums, and noticed the number of gun issues on these forums.

And, I wonder if there are any good statistics about the incidence of crime against gun-owners versus those that do not have guns.

I'm talking about overall crime - not specific incidences where a gun owner was able to successfully defend themself against a crime. I am asking about the total of all crimes perpertrated against everyone (in each category).

I have nothing at all against gun-ownership. I sometimes think about getting one - Though I've lived for more than 50 years without one - And, really survived quite well simply from using common sense (avoiding walking into bad situations when something seemed suspicious, using simple, common sense practices, like locking windows and doors, sufficient lighting, parking in well lit areas, etc. etc...).

Does a gun make you safer simply from possessing it? Or, do people survive quite well without them, using common sense?

Are there any statistics that would study this?

Hunting, of course, is another matter. I lived for years in a poorer rural area, and people hunted to supplement their food. Getting a deer, some fish, fowl...meant much to these people. And, their rifles and shotguns, they handled much like the hand tools they used to do their own repairs (on everything). They certainly did not flaunt them - they were simply other tools in their lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2009, 07:00 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
far less crime on non owners but that is bek most dont own them coincidental.
if you are implying that gun ownership reduces crime, i dont think so i think violence against criminals in the commission of a crime greatly reduces crime. much evidence to that effect.
within 24 hrs of the getz shooting of 4 armed robbers on NYC crime on entire NYC subway fell 18%.

Old 08-22-2009, 07:04 PM

1,332 posts, read 1,990,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
far less crime on non owners but that is bek most dont own them coincidental.
if you are implying that gun ownership reduces crime, i dont think so i think violence against criminals in the commission of a crime greatly reduces crime. much evidence to that effect.
within 24 hrs of the getz shooting of 4 armed robbers on NYC crime on entire NYC subway fell 18%.
I'm not implying anything. I'm simply asking.

I edited my post a little at the end - You will see that I think gun ownership is a right that is handled quite well by many.

Old 08-22-2009, 07:38 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
We can never find out, because it is illegal ask anybody if they have a gun. That would be one more step by the liberals toward confiscation. Or so Im told.

Old 08-23-2009, 02:25 AM

18,270 posts, read 14,433,444 times
My friend just had some burglars smash in his garage door and took off with tons of guns that he had. Luckily, he wasn't home when it happened. They didn't take them all, only the ones they thought cost more. They were in and out in a matter of minutes. According to police this is a trend here in Texas, where groups of people go door to door checking houses to see who's home then dissapearring once the crime is commited. If my friend had been home, who knows what these vandals would have done to him. Its not like these people are fooling around. They are professinals. What that tells me, is that they will do almost anything to get what they want. Including having killed him .

So even when you lock your doors and windows, its simply not enough anymore. Do you feel safe in your house knowing that at any moment a group of guys is going to smash in your garage door or front door with their van and rob you blind, with or without you inside. I wouldn't. Not after knowing this is a pattern now.

Old 08-23-2009, 06:10 AM

4,474 posts, read 5,414,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
We can never find out, because it is illegal ask anybody if they have a gun. That would be one more step by the liberals toward confiscation. Or so Im told.
Try turning off Limbaugh.

Last edited by AxisMundi; 08-23-2009 at 06:12 AM.. Reason: typo fix for clarification

Old 08-23-2009, 06:21 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,243,102 times
There has been in the last 45 days here where homeowners have shot and killed at least 4 burglars as they were breaking in or were already in..

Old 08-23-2009, 08:03 AM

5,758 posts, read 11,637,967 times
I would assume it depends on how you define "gun owner." If we include gang members who illegally carry firearms, I'm sure it's higher. But I doubt this is what the question meant to ask.

Old 08-23-2009, 08:20 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post
Try turning off Limbaugh.
I never listen to Linbaugh. My main source of news and opinion is the postes here who listen to Limbaugh.

Knowing which people have guns is not one of the minimum criteria of "well-regulated". If the gun nuts have worked out a chain of command in their well-regulated militia, they are keeping that a secret, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
I would assume it depends on how you define "gun owner." If we include gang members who illegally carry firearms, I'm sure it's higher. But I doubt this is what the question meant to ask.
According to the gun nuts, nobody "illegally" carries firearms, because it would be unconstitutional to establish any laws at all respecting the bearing of arms. Since arms are personal property, the only thing that can be illegal about firearms would be if somebody stole one from somebody else, the way taxes are stolen from hard working pesonally responsible law abiding citizens. As long as you do not steal your gun, it is legal. Gang members have an inviolable constitutional right to bear arms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by temptation001 View Post
My friend just had some burglars smash in his garage door and took off with tons of guns that he had.
You have a friend who had tons of guns? For self defense? Gun nuts tell us that we never need to worry about any guns ever being stolen from gun nuts, because gun nuts are responsible law-abiding citrizens who keep their guns secured. How come the well-organized militia wasn't defending their armory in your friend's house?

Last edited by jtur88; 08-23-2009 at 08:40 AM..

Old 08-23-2009, 08:37 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,115,793 times
Go back to the PoC forum, jtur. Your posts in this thread are embarrassingly juvenile and have no place in a "Great Debates" thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates