Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2009, 04:45 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,251,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
People were getting married a long time before your God was revealed.
Given that God created man and woman I find that highly unlikely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2009, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post
Again, prove your scriptures accurate, infallable, and applicable to anyone but Christians.

Also, feel free to prove what your bible has to do with US Secular Laws.
We are not in a US court of law. In any case, God's laws come first.

Old 09-13-2009, 04:53 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,247,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
From the purely secular human modern viewpoint, what harm does sex between two unmarried consenting adults of opposite sex do? None. Yet God calls it fornication and says it's a sin.
You see, that's our problem, we think we know better than God about right and wrong. It goes back to that tree thing...
God says homosexuality is wrong. He makes the rules.
Not in secular society.
Quote:
Diety or not, marriage has been, and will probably always remain, a social contract. And in modern times, it is one of the few healthy contracts we have. Why there are some that wish to thwart it, I don't know. It's a vicious position.

Old 09-13-2009, 04:54 PM

4,474 posts, read 5,425,863 times
Quote:
Prove it.

Quote:
We are not in a US court of law. In any case, God's laws come first.
Not in the US, sorry. US Secualr Law comes first, even where marriage is concerned. BTW, I note you refuse to attempt to prove your bible is accurate, infallable, and applies to anyone but Christians.

Might as well throw in "... on a voluntary basis" to.

Old 09-13-2009, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post
Prove it.

BTW, I note you refuse to attempt to prove your bible is accurate, infallable, and applies to anyone but Christians.
I'm afraid that attempting that would fall into the "Pearls before swine" category. You don't mean to have a reasonable debate, but only to discredit and demean those that acknowledge our great creator. But I'll try: it's a matter of faith, not proof. I can't "prove" God, and you can't disprove Him. Science fails here. Everyone believes something. Some people believe the truth, and some believe a lie. God is truth.

Old 09-13-2009, 05:25 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,693,475 times
I cannot believe this. Even if you marry in a church, you still have to go to the marriage license bureau to fill out a certificate. The clergyman who marries you must fill out this form and you need 2 witnesses. If you don't do this, you will not be legally married. Most states today do not recognize common law marriage, or religious marriage alone. When you want to buy a house, send you children to school, get spousal benefits, Social Security, etc., etc., you are not going to be considered married by society, church or no church ceremony.

Old 09-13-2009, 06:04 PM

4,474 posts, read 5,425,863 times
Quote:
I'm afraid that attempting that would fall into the "Pearls before swine" category. You don't mean to have a reasonable debate, but only to discredit and demean those that acknowledge our great creator. But I'll try: it's a matter of faith, not proof. I can't "prove" God, and you can't disprove Him. Science fails here. Everyone believes something. Some people believe the truth, and some believe a lie. God is truth.
No, you refuse to debate the matter because you know you have no basis to do so.

You promote putting your religion before US Secular Law without providing ANY substantiation and no foudnation in simple reality.

Law is not based on religion, sorry. And there is a reason for that as well.

You also claim your creator god, and your religion is "truth" as well, again without offering anything in the way of substantiation.

So don't claim I have no interest in debate.

Religion is a choice, homosexuality isn't.

Old 09-13-2009, 06:46 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,754,225 times
I disagree with your premise that law isn't based on religion, since a lot of religions from different sources forbid the same types of things--like murder.

Old 09-13-2009, 06:56 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,225,482 times
People already knew that murder was uncool, before the religions came and took their money and repeated that pretty obvious commandment. Which is why 3-year-olds, who know nothing about religion, don't very often murder their baby brother.

Throughout history, the number of people deterred from murder by their religion is probably smaller than the number of people who actually murdered in order to advance the authority or the example of their religion.

So law may very well be based on some religion, but it certainly not based on the Christian religion, or ordained by the Chrisian God, since only three of the ten commandments are codified into US law, and those same three are the law in every country on earth.

Last edited by jtur88; 09-13-2009 at 07:05 PM..

Old 09-13-2009, 07:10 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,754,225 times
And they're the same in every religion also--I'm not saying that they are exclusive to Christianity, only that they are found in every religion. Laws against theft are found in many religions also, for another example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates