Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 09:43 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,229,847 times

Advertisements

no it isn't

i really don't understand the wild eyed craziness on this subject

reminds me of when I was living in philly during the RNC and they breast milk demonstrators and the anti-breast milk demonstrators were screaming at each other all week right outside my apartment

there are better things to worry about devote emotion to...........

Old 06-01-2011, 10:29 PM

2,763 posts, read 5,761,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post

there are better things to worry about devote emotion to...........
What does it matter to YOU what people devote their emotion to? So what someone is passionate about the matter?

Old 06-01-2011, 10:45 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,787,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
There is no definitive proof of health benefits due to circumcision. The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) says: "The benefits of circumcision are not significant enough to recommend circumcision as a routine procedure and that circumcision is not medically necessary"

What does exist however is conflicting reports and studies indicating both minor benefits due to circumcision and enough studies indicating the opposite.

But again, there's no proof that circumcision has any significant medical (nor hygienic) benefits.
The AMA and AAP are both actually pretty careful not to make any recommendations about what decision parents make with regard to circumcision. The quote above sounds like an endorsement of leaving boys intact, but it isn't. It's not recommending either, merely stating that circumcision isn't medically necessary. In other words, they are not touching circumcision for ritual, religious or aesthetic reasons because neither is there a medical reason NOT to circumcise. Whatever the parents' reasoning, for or against, it's good enough.

It's not my intent to be combative. I take the same stance as the AAP - it doesn't really matter one way or another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezfreak View Post
if its not needed, then yes. There is no medical reason to have circumcision done at birth. There are babies, like mine, who has a hypospadia, and it breaks my heart that he has to be circumcised to fix it. He wont be closer til a year old to fix that though because doctors say its not SAFE enough to do it any earlier. I just dont get why people insist on mutilating bodies of children. Same applies to piercings of infants.
Are you certain that the unacceptable safety risk is not related to anesthesia rather than the procedure itself?

Old 06-01-2011, 11:38 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,229,847 times
Quote:
What does it matter to YOU what people devote their emotion to? So what someone is passionate about the matter?
it starts to matter when wild eyed zealots start blowing up non-issues while actually impactful things go by the wayside .... just a giant distraction and waste of time, ink, resources, etc

i personally find the anti-circ crowd to be a little out there, prone to hypberbole and half information in an attempt to create hysteria when there really shouldn't be any

if you are creating the issue, you get the critical eye

Old 06-02-2011, 04:23 AM

481 posts, read 943,977 times
Quote:
And what does it matter to YOU what someone else does with their penis?

No offense, but I find it very disturbing that strangers are "passionate" about my son's penis, quite frankly. People who "devote their emotion" to the happenings of a loved, healthy, well adjusted, and happy little boys body parts makes no sense as is not logical to me in any way. So it is very concerning as a mom to hear people like you get so wriled up about something that has no affect on you but does affect my children.

Old 06-02-2011, 06:15 AM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,184,340 times
Jesus was Jewish by birth, so therefore he must have been circumcised... right? And he didn't preach against circumcision. He didn't call it mutilation either.

Old 06-02-2011, 07:48 AM

18,478 posts, read 31,653,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Get real Just like Tonsuls, Appedix, Hang nails, Kindney Stones and the list goes on. If 5% of all men have have health issues related to not being Circumcised then it can be argued that it makes sense as a preventative measure.

well I still have my appendix and tonsils.

and I want my foreskin back!! damn it !!

Old 06-02-2011, 07:50 AM

18,478 posts, read 31,653,017 times
I just can't imagine any man allowing another man (doctor)to put a knife to his little baby boys penis.....I find it very disturbing.

Old 06-02-2011, 09:00 AM

2,763 posts, read 5,761,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by culturedmom View Post
And what does it matter to YOU what someone else does with their penis?

No offense, but I find it very disturbing that strangers are "passionate" about my son's penis, quite frankly. People who "devote their emotion" to the happenings of a loved, healthy, well adjusted, and happy little boys body parts makes no sense as is not logical to me in any way. So it is very concerning as a mom to hear people like you get so wriled up about something that has no affect on you but does affect my children.
It matters to me that people continue to mutilate their children with a barbaric and unnecessary procedure. This is the 21st century, people need to get with the times and get rid of these outdated medical procedures.

Old 06-02-2011, 09:18 AM

481 posts, read 943,977 times
Quote:
It matters to me that people continue to mutilate their children with a barbaric and unnecessary procedure. This is the 21st century, people need to get with the times and get rid of these outdated medical procedures.
Though I am not sure I am going to get a truthful answer....may I ask, if you feel this is the "mutilation of children" what other ways do you advocate against this other then the occasional online debate rant? I mean my goodness chidren are being mutilated according to you. That to me is worse then child abuse and poverty and hunger combined. If I felt children in my own community were being mutilated, debating online would be the least of my concerns.

That said, I think I will take professional doctors and the AAP's opinion over yours. Unless you think there is a conspiracy that doctors and professionals are secretly in the business of advocting for the abuse and mutilation of children? Can you explain why medical professionals are not against such a horrible act if it is indeed as you describe "barbaric mutilation"?

Also, my son cried harder and longer and was in visibly way more pain after his vaccinations vs his brit milah. So does that mena you feel vaccinations are torture and abusive?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates