Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 01:12 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,053,112 times

Advertisements

What is "hard working"? Are white collar workers exempt from this because it's not manual labor? I know I work hard in the finance area, and while I'm not lifting concrete I'm certainly working 12 hour days (sometimes up to 14) at times and I make sure I am completely self sufficient.

I don't think people are much different in one place over another, save that the bums tend to run towards those who have the more generous social programs. In Oregon we seem to have a number of people that take a bus ticket up here during the cool summers and food from the missions.

Old 08-26-2009, 02:37 PM

247 posts, read 538,184 times
The question is what state do you think currently exemplifies Thomas Jefferson's vision the most or best if you could choose just one? He believed states should be independent and not controlled federally. Any thoughts or suggestions? My definition of hard working in this context is self sufficiency.

Old 08-26-2009, 02:41 PM

247 posts, read 538,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
What is "hard working"? Are white collar workers exempt from this because it's not manual labor? I know I work hard in the finance area, and while I'm not lifting concrete I'm certainly working 12 hour days (sometimes up to 14) at times and I make sure I am completely self sufficient.

I don't think people are much different in one place over another, save that the bums tend to run towards those who have the more generous social programs. In Oregon we seem to have a number of people that take a bus ticket up here during the cool summers and food from the missions.
But you are very dependant on other people's money and the overall state of the economy.I dont know if that is truly "self sufficient" by definition.

Old 08-26-2009, 03:00 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,053,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No attitude View Post
But you are very dependant on other people's money and the overall state of the economy.I dont know if that is truly "self sufficient" by definition.
Well, pretty much unless you are some one that owns land free and clear, use no city services or tax funded items, make everything you own, grow everything you consume yourself you are dependent on other people by that definition. Of course I am dependent on other people for my water, electricity, food, transportation, police protection, fire protection, building materials...but I'm not dependent on support by those people's resources and good will to survive, I pay my own way.

Last edited by subsound; 08-26-2009 at 03:49 PM..

Old 08-26-2009, 03:03 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,508,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No attitude View Post
The question is what state do you think currently exemplifies Thomas Jefferson's vision the most or best if you could choose just one? He believed states should be independent and not controlled federally. Any thoughts or suggestions? My definition of hard working in this context is self sufficiency.
Again it's utah.

If your using federal money to prop your state government or or to help your economy..really you are subservient to the federal government and it's will. Also this lead to a "state" (not individuals) that is not self sufficient.
Basically alot states that think they are self sufficient at this point are getting federal handouts in the form of subsidies/progams of all sorts.

Old 08-26-2009, 03:07 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,774,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
There are only 49 from Alaska to Wyoming.
I would argue that there are only two from Alaska to Wyoming: Washington and Idaho...

Probably moot anyway because Texas is clearly the hardest working and most independent state.

Old 08-28-2009, 05:14 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,787,082 times
The state that has the most illegal aliens in it.

Old 08-31-2009, 02:55 PM

355 posts, read 911,632 times
Puerto rico,

Old 08-31-2009, 03:38 PM

2,450 posts, read 5,601,212 times
Its definitely Wisconsin.
Because I saw a movie on teevee and a guy from there once and he was like "hey i done like peoples telling mes what to does" and he punched the other guy and mommy said that peoples that are hardworking like daddys from there and he works hard i wanna be like daddys. hes hard working indeplendent and we live here in wisconsin its the best!!

Old 08-31-2009, 03:54 PM

2,450 posts, read 5,601,212 times
Ok, going by the "most independent from federal government" definition recently posed let's see...
The most high profile ways states defy federal regulations directly I suppose would be marijuana and gay marriage... so those states would be independent

let's look at the one's posited, real or joke.
"the one with the most illegal aliens". well, given that sanctuary cities are attempting to be independent of the federal government, and the (what I assume what meant to be) California receives less money from the feds than it gives,and that it has a very damaged, but diverse economy that will likely recover, well, it's pretty independent, but maybe not the most.
Texas: looks like its in the middle of per-capita spending. doesn't pass.
Utah: indeed, with lowest spending, it might be correct, but i'm not sure if it fights regulations so much or not.
Montana... middle of the road per capita fed spending. not so independent.
Florida is better, but probably not quite the most yet.

Utah it is!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates