Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 10:45 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,145,620 times

Advertisements

Apparently, the new "latest trend" is long-term babysitters for parents who cannot care for their kids for extend periods of time and do not have a nanny or relative.

I just caught the tail-end of the report, but it seems that most of the parents who are participating are using the service so that they can vacation without the children. So they are dropping their kids off at "Kid Kamps" where they are taken care of until the parents return.

Personally, I think it is an awesome idea, but the commentator did not approve of "kenneling the kids" har har. I think the visual on that is hilarious. Did anybody else catch this report?

What are your thoughts?

[MOD CUT]

Last edited by Ibginnie; 09-07-2009 at 08:35 PM.. Reason: Manual signatures are not permitted
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2009, 11:05 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,886,289 times
Bascailly I think the tredn to cholorform you children so young mother can go out and party is abut the same. Any wander we have children growing upto be deliquents and uncivilized. Bet the parent will then complain that the children don't obey them or listen to them.

Old 09-02-2009, 12:28 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,224,262 times
Is it any different than sending them off to summer camp for a week? As long as they're occupied and well supervised, I don't see an issue with this as long as it's a "once in a while" thing instead of a substitute for spending time with your kids. Every once in a while it's nice to have alone time, and this way both the kids and the parents get a vacation to their liking.

Old 09-02-2009, 04:48 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,399,838 times
I see no difference between this and daycare. I can definetly understand the feeling myself. As I have moved far away from my relatives, its just me and my son almost constantly. I do have a sitter on Friday night, and every now and then Saturday, but forget during the week. My oncall week is the worst, as I've got to pay extra to have someone else available 24/7 for the week that I'm oncall.

Old 09-02-2009, 07:52 AM

25,775 posts, read 18,834,175 times
Maybe it's just me, but I read these sorts of things and I wonder why even bother having the kids in the first place? The logic elludes me. You have them... and then want to get rid of them 90% of the time. Why? Doesn't it make more sense to just not have them in the first place? Then you never have to worry about where to kennel them and how much it's going to cost.

Note: I'm not trying to be a jerk. I truly do not understand the reasoning.

Old 09-02-2009, 08:05 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,399,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Maybe it's just me, but I read these sorts of things and I wonder why even bother having the kids in the first place? The logic elludes me. You have them... and then want to get rid of them 90% of the time. Why? Doesn't it make more sense to just not have them in the first place? Then you never have to worry about where to kennel them and how much it's going to cost.

Note: I'm not trying to be a jerk. I truly do not understand the reasoning.
I believe they have done studies that show that 48% of all pregnancies are unplanned. However, when you feel that you love the woman/man you are with, and you think you can start a life together, you go ahead and have the child. I always tell people I didn't plan to have my son, but I'm glad I have him.

I'm not personally trying to get rid of my kid 90% of the time. Maybe three weeks out of the year would be nice, but then I want him back. I don't know anyone who would rather be rid of their children either. However, I do look forward to the days when I can leave him home by himself and Daddy can start doing other things again. I like my life where it is now, wouldn't change it for a thing, but wanting to get away from time to time isn't a bad thing, its human.

Old 09-02-2009, 08:54 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,679,819 times
As a society changes, it is natural that family life will change along with it. To expect the dynamics of home life to remain fixed is not a very realistic view. from our early days on the farms, to the industrialized structure of the fifties, and on to the various complexities of todays work world, we'll see many changes in the way humans conduct their daily lives.

We tend to fear those things that change our notion of decency and moral definitions, but we also can't return to the agricultural norms of community and family. I remember taking my daughter to daycare in the seventies and cringing as I was doing so, my Mother was home all day, but, we still got into plenty of trouble, and we weren't influenced by the folks as much as we were held to the loyalty of friends. Things change, people change, what matters, is the degree of control we have over our lives and the conveniences we create.

Old 09-03-2009, 04:44 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,034,677 times
I googled it, but could not find anything that really fit the OP's description.

So the kids spend the night, and it is a long-term deal?
I'm curious about the practicalities: Any possible age limits for this Kamp, and/or time limits for kids under the age of 5 or 6.

It does sound like summer camp. My kids *loved* summer camp, they cried when they had to come home. But it was only two weeks out of the entire year, and it was a special place up in the Rockies, with all the special camp activities. We saved all year to pay the tuition.

It's nice for parents and kids to get a break from each other.
What is not so nice is abusing this practice.
I once worked at a daycare where the moms, many of whom did not work, dropped their kid off on the dot of 7am and did not pick him up until 6pm. The director finally put some limits on how much time the kids could be left.
(Sometimes I wondered if the child was not better off in daycare than at home--but that's for another thread.)

I agree that change is inevitable, and society and family life need not resemble the agrarian days of old.
I just hope that the quality of the Kid Kamp is good, and that parents don't complain about how much it costs.

Old 09-03-2009, 06:25 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,687,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Apparently, the new "latest trend" is long-term babysitters for parents who cannot care for their kids for extend periods of time and do not have a nanny or relative.

I just caught the tail-end of the report, but it seems that most of the parents who are participating are using the service so that they can vacation without the children. So they are dropping their kids off at "Kid Kamps" where they are taken care of until the parents return.

Personally, I think it is an awesome idea, but the commentator did not approve of "kenneling the kids" har har. I think the visual on that is hilarious. Did anybody else catch this report?

What are your thoughts?

20yrsinBranson
This really isn't anything new. Parents have been making arrangements to spend time without their kids since there have been parents with kids. This just might be taking it to a new level.

The problem is that we've been deluded into thinking we can "have it all" when indeed, we cannot. If we choose to be parents, let's be good parents - and that is inevitably going to require us to make sacrifices for the good of our kids.

Old 09-03-2009, 09:26 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,613,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post

What are your thoughts?

20yrsinBranson
Wait until there's a generation of kids who think more of their "kennelers" than they do of their real parents. Then there's going to be a whole decade worth of hand-wringing psychological and sociological studies. Particularly after one of them commits some kind of horrible crime, but gets rescued from prison and/or the electric chair when they claim trauma from not having grown up in a real home environment.

Ah, life in these United States, where everything is a "condition" you can use as an excuse!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates