Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 12:33 PM

871 posts, read 1,630,124 times

Advertisements

Asian students describe violence at South Philadelphia High | Philadelphia Inquirer | 12/10/2009 (http://www.philly.com/inquirer/world_us/20091210_Asian_students_describe_violence_at_South _Philadelphia_High.html - broken link)

mod cut: text removed

i started this thread to address the mistaken idea that it's somehow this generation that is somehow magically a problem.

as you can see from the above example and what is bolded, it is very similar to what i witnessed in school. it's not just a matter of a certain generation, it's just that there are bad or degenerate people. these people who were supposed to be in positions of responsiblity were not responsible or mature. it doesn't surprise me in the least bit.

those kids that beat up the other kids? those staff that didn't care or maybe even enjoyed watching? heck, they were probably the same way when they were that age. AGE does not make one somehow evolved, mature or a better human being. it just means they are older, nothing more or less. my uncle told me how kids were running down the stairs in high school and this girl fell down the stairs and was knocked unconscious. the other kids just ignored it or just ran over or stepped over her and went about their business, some gave confused and disgusted looks and yelled that someone should move her out of thier way (since obviously her being unconscious at the foot of the stairs). no one cared one bit, had a conscience or got any help, not a one. this is what most people are really like and only maybe a few would care or have a sense of humanity. he's in his late forties, not quite this generation, eh? those 'kids' that did that are now adults with families. do they want to come forth and admit what *******s they truly are? or do they want to pretend that it's this generation of kids that are oh so bad.

who puts all those unnecessary sexual innuendos or sexual content into almost every film or some gratuitous violence or profanity in films? adults have done this. older people continually fool themselves into believing they are not perpetrators of what they accuse others of.

if prior generations want someone to blame, blame yourselves first because it is embarassing to play the innocent game. i know people who are of older generations that admit that people were just as degenerate, bad, or worse even in thier day. please don't pretend that prior generations had some type of monopoly on maturity or morality because it's just ridiculously ludicrous.

Last edited by scirocco22; 03-02-2010 at 09:27 AM.. Reason: copyright issues
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2010, 12:37 PM

898 posts, read 1,401,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socrates
Children today are tyrants. They contradict their parents, gobble their food, and tyrannize their teachers.
My, my, how times have changed.

Old 03-01-2010, 02:50 PM

1,132 posts, read 1,938,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melinuxfool View Post
My, my, how times have changed.
haha. I think the question that needs to be asked then, is do we allow it more than we used to?

Old 03-01-2010, 06:29 PM

1,770 posts, read 2,896,474 times
Being originally from South Philly.. *shame*
However, that is an awful school. I did not go there, luckily. That's the local school where you go where you can't get into any other public or parochial school..so.. it was bad.

I think it has to do with the lack of discipline today. Parents have to have like a board meeting with their children and recognize their feelings instead of making sure they understand what's right and what's wrong. Parents are now friends; not parents.

Old 03-01-2010, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tmess View Post
Being originally from South Philly.. *shame*
However, that is an awful school. I did not go there, luckily. That's the local school where you go where you can't get into any other public or parochial school..so.. it was bad.

I think it has to do with the lack of discipline today. Parents have to have like a board meeting with their children and recognize their feelings instead of making sure they understand what's right and what's wrong. Parents are now friends; not parents.
uh, absolutely not, dear. these types of incidents and this type of environment is not just this generation. same thing in the 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's and actually has gotten better in some places than others while others remain like the above. that was the point.

being friends with your kids is not a problem, it's exaggerated that means there is no discipline. there are two extremes which both are not good; one is total permissiveness or negligence and the other is total authoritarianism and lack of respect for or understanding of your children either way. this either or thinking is just substituting one extreme where it causes dysfunction just as the other. going by your unrealistic logic, kids who are aggressive or beat up other kids must have parents who understand thier feelings and are their friend. it's safe to say i don't think so. sometimes, these kids come from highly aggressive or authoritarian parents which kids end up taking out thier aggression and frustration out on others just as the other extreme where parents don't instill good values and reinforcements because they dont' have good values themselves or both.

anyone with their heart in the right place would have a balance between proper guidance, discipline and understanding including listening toward their children. yes, one can still be thier friend(as in moral support and love) and be a parent.

Last edited by rory00; 03-01-2010 at 07:17 PM..

Old 03-01-2010, 07:20 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,193,173 times
Which generation do you mean?
The generation of 12-17 year-olds now or the kids that are just now getting into college?

Or all of them?

Old 03-01-2010, 07:46 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
I my opinon since the late 60's the drug problems have just gotten worse. Who konws what effects it has had on succeeding generations.Luckly the type of problems mentioned in this article are not everywhere. I can rememeber when as a kid I saw The Black Board Jungle with my parents. We thought that was pure fiction about inner city schools then.

Old 03-01-2010, 08:38 PM

2,725 posts, read 5,188,149 times
The adults label kids poorly, e.g., smart kid, bad kid, good kid, dumb kid. If you think a kid is smart, tell them exactly why they are. They cannot possibly be smart or good in everything and the *compliment* starts to feel false. They just won't care anymore about your opinion.

If your kid did something *bad*, tell them they made a bad choice, not that they are bad. They will start to believe this.

Characteristics that are desirable in adults are not desirable in children. Why is that? I was very outspoken as a child especially when it came to things being unfair. My family really didn't know how to handle me other than spank me for talking back. This did not help my self-esteem and I certainly did not want their opinion as a teenager.

Another time I was in high school and I got after some football players for throwing food across the cafeteria. Sorry, I don't want chewed up food in my hair. I got up and yelled at them. Later, when a player in class mentioned this, the teacher commented on how it is okay for school *contributors* to break the rules from time-to-time. I then instructed the player to throw chewed up food in the teacher's hair. I got written up for talking back and being argumentative.

Hey, I was just a committed and persistent child but adults didn't bother to teach me to express myself in a more tactful way. Try to be more positive when it comes to children. That might be a start.

Old 03-02-2010, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisan View Post
adults didn't bother to teach me to express myself in a more tactful way. Try to be more positive when it comes to children. That might be a start.
lol..exactly the point. "adults" are just people and not necessarily smarter, moral, mature or wise. that is an individual characteristic.

there are children who are naturally more moral, mature or wiser than some or many adults (older age).

Old 03-02-2010, 08:08 AM

78,339 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Let's face it, Philly is really only rivaled by maybe DC and Detroit in terms of being run by complete morons.

Their 5% city wage tax fried their tax base and left them a dying urban core.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates