Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 02:03 PM

4,275 posts, read 5,430,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I wonder how many constitutional rights are violated in this new health bill? I think many!
Abortion violates a baby's right to life. That is a constitutional right.

The constitution is a wonderful document and if we would all go back to living by the constitution, we would not need many of the social programs the government is trying to stick down our throats. We would also rid our country of many people who are here illegally and need to leave.
Firstly, while I do not support Universal Health Care, indeed much of the alleged "health care reforms" offered by Congress, mind detailing which Constitutional Rights would be infringed upon by either?

Also, there is no "Constitutional Right to Life" sorry. Just another empty piece of anti-choice rhetoric.

BTW, I agree perfectly that we should "go back to living by the Constitution". We can start by eliminating the PATRIOT and DOMA acts.

Of course that would mean returning our original Motto and Pledge of Allegience, as well as ensuring the Ten Comamndments don't show up in our courthouses as well. And it would be quite pleasent indeed not having to hear certain people whine and cry about their "religion being kicked out of public schools", and it would certainly save a LOT of cash everytime some fundies tried to sue to get their religious symbology put on public property.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2009, 02:04 PM

Still waiting for clarification on your "Naming products..." phrase, Mr. Harman.

Old 09-05-2009, 04:47 PM

3,540 posts, read 5,248,002 times
I am as well.

Old 09-05-2009, 04:50 PM

311 posts, read 779,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post
Still waiting for clarification on your "Naming products..." phrase, Mr. Harman.
Do you understand English? No insult intended, but I explained it already. The products, or those laws, bills and acts produced by congress. I lumped them together, and called them "products" of our government I suppose.

There are so many specifics within the laws we have written, that violate our constitutional rights, it would fill a bible sized book in small print just to address a few of them. Those are the products I speak of.

Old 09-05-2009, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Firstly, while I do not support Universal Health Care, indeed much of the alleged "health care reforms" offered by Congress, mind detailing which Constitutional Rights would be infringed upon by either?

Also, there is no "Constitutional Right to Life" sorry. Just another empty piece of anti-choice rhetoric.

BTW, I agree perfectly that we should "go back to living by the Constitution". We can start by eliminating the PATRIOT and DOMA acts.

Of course that would mean returning our original Motto and Pledge of Allegience, as well as ensuring the Ten Comamndments don't show up in our courthouses as well. And it would be quite pleasent indeed not having to hear certain people whine and cry about their "religion being kicked out of public schools", and it would certainly save a LOT of cash everytime some fundies tried to sue to get their religious symbology put on public property.
I can agree with most of this. Your position seems to be, there would be some pain for many Americans if we literally started living by the constitution again. I agree 100%! But that document is what arrived us to where we are today. Why our government seems hell bent on twisting it to its most far reaching points, is beyond me. That document is what got us all where we are today, it is what seperated America from the rest of the world. We are people who procreate, breathe, eat, work and live within the confines of human nature just like the rest of the world. The difference between us and them? Our constitution! Our rights based on it. All of which are disapearing as we speak!

I'm no radical guy either. Just a run of the mill guy, working for a living, obeying the laws, who happen to start reading and informing myself of the slow cooker we are all in.

Old 09-05-2009, 05:01 PM

3,540 posts, read 5,248,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamHarman View Post
I can agree with most of this. Your position seems to be, there would be some pain for many Americans if we literally started living by the constitution again. I agree 100%! But that document is what arrived us to where we are today. Why our government seems hell bent on twisting it to its most far reaching points, is beyond me. That document is what got us all where we are today, it is what seperated America from the rest of the world. We are people who procreate, breathe, eat, work and live within the confines of human nature just like the rest of the world. The difference between us and them? Our constitution! Our rights based on it. All of which are disapearing as we speak!

I'm no radical guy either. Just a run of the mill guy, working for a living, obeying the laws, who happen to start reading and informing myself of the slow cooker we are all in.
The constitution does not contain rights for you.

Old 09-05-2009, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Do you understand English? No insult intended, but I explained it already. The products, or those laws, bills and acts produced by congress. I lumped them together, and called them "products" of our government I suppose.

There are so many specifics within the laws we have written, that violate our constitutional rights, it would fill a bible sized book in small print just to address a few of them. Those are the products I speak of.
I understand English quite perfectly, except when someone is being very vague and using a personal lexicon without explaining their meaning.

And except for the quite obvious and hashed over "products", such as the PATRIOT Act and DOMA, feel free to list a few of these unConstitutional "products".

Last edited by AxisMundi; 09-05-2009 at 05:06 PM.. Reason: Dad-burned quote tags - grumble

Old 09-05-2009, 05:08 PM

Quote:

I do believe that you do not understand basic Constitutional Principles.

There is no "pure rights" contained within that document.

And my "point" is that the Constitution has been eroded long before this Administration, or the last as well, and has been under fire since the 1830s.

Old 09-05-2009, 06:00 PM

Quote:
I do believe that you do not understand basic Constitutional Principles.

There is no "pure rights" contained within that document.

And my "point" is that the Constitution has been eroded long before this Administration, or the last as well, and has been under fire since the 1830s.
And my point, was that the higher courts usually end up deciding what is within the confines of the constitution and what is not, once congress passes new laws. The problem is, they know many of the laws or designations within the laws violate the constitution, but pass them anyhow and figure it will be a good 10-20 years before it reaches the supreme court of the land.

I am well aware that the constitution was not written in concrete and is subject to much debate. It is vague in many ways. My father practiced law based on direct issues pertaining to the constitution. That does not make me some kind of expert and do not claim to be one. But we sat up many a late nights debating these issues.

The system of checks and balances does work, when they all stay balanced and one entity does not intentionally abuse the system. Something many would argue we saw during the last 8 years. Yes, I voted for him, twice!

Old 09-05-2009, 06:14 PM

Quote:
And my point, was that the higher courts usually end up deciding what is within the confines of the constitution and what is not, once congress passes new laws. The problem is, they know many of the laws or designations within the laws violate the constitution, but pass them anyhow and figure it will be a good 10-20 years before it reaches the supreme court of the land.

I am well aware that the constitution was not written in concrete and is subject to much debate. It is vague in many ways. My father practiced law based on direct issues pertaining to the constitution. That does not make me some kind of expert and do not claim to be one. But we sat up many a late nights debating these issues.

The system of checks and balances does work, when they all stay balanced and one entity does not intentionally abuse the system. Something many would argue we saw during the last 8 years. Yes, I voted for him, twice!
I didn't becasue I looked into his policies as gov.

I'ms till waiting for examples, BTW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates