Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 06:40 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,791,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
There was as time in this country when children were molested and raped with impunity and the universe did not come crashing down. Am am not advocating this behavior by any means, but I also feel like WAY WAY WAY too much time and focus is spent on it.

100 years ago, most lots of 12 - 14 year old women were married and running a household. It is only in today's culture that they are considered "children". Personally, I don't know many 14 year olds who act like children, most of them act (and dress) like they are 25.

20yrsinBranson
I'll say when I was 12 there was NO way I could be running a household.

In any case, I think most consent laws should be either 17 or 18.
I think if the parents were ok with their son or daughter seeing an older person, there shouldn't be charges filed later whenever the parent decides to get pissed off or even with their child. Of course some blame can be put on the person dating the younger person. They knew the risks they were taking....

I think rape is a pretty important issue. Maybe if you'd been raped, you'd feel differently. I'm not saying I'd ever want anyone to be raped but coming from someone who has been raped....I just can't believe you said the things I put in bold. It's not a day that goes by that I don't have SOME kind of flashback from my rape.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2009, 12:18 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,074,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I believe the law here in Nevada is perfect, and more than fair. The age of consent is 16 here. I find most 16 year olds are mature enough to consent to sex.
It should be that way everywhere.

Old 09-07-2009, 12:49 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,269,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
I was noticing that the statutory rape laws from state to state vary.
10th Amendment - States rights.

There will ALWAYS be differences between the states.

I don't want the Feds Usurping State statutes

Old 09-07-2009, 09:16 AM

268 posts, read 1,050,374 times
I understand the issue of Federal versus State rights. But such variations in what is otherwise an arbitrary cut-off age can lead to being charged when there was no intent to break the law.

Imagine you live in a state where the cut-off is 18, and you've known this all your life, then you visit a state where the cut-off is 16 and you were negligent in reading up on the variations to this law - especially with regard to the state you were only visiting, suddenly you find yourself charged with statutory rape -as opposed to rape - when you thought it was okay (based on where you lived and are aware of the law).

So the question is, should we relax state's rights in order to remove such discrepancies/confusion?

Old 09-07-2009, 09:42 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,684,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwynn View Post
I understand the issue of Federal versus State rights. But such variations in what is otherwise an arbitrary cut-off age can lead to being charged when there was no intent to break the law.

Imagine you live in a state where the cut-off is 18, and you've known this all your life, then you visit a state where the cut-off is 16 and you were negligent in reading up on the variations to this law - especially with regard to the state you were only visiting, suddenly you find yourself charged with statutory rape -as opposed to rape - when you thought it was okay (based on where you lived and are aware of the law).

So the question is, should we relax state's rights in order to remove such discrepancies/confusion?
Why is anybody going from state to state, having sex with young girls?

I'd venture a guess that if there's a guy doing that, he doesn't give a crap about the laws anyway.

Old 09-07-2009, 01:24 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,142,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWARK MAGIC View Post
Scuse me Missy Massa. I was gonna fetch yo water fors ya bath like ya astme but I's gotta finish tyin up da cotton I doned pick fo ya today sos ya dont be whippten on me, Missy Massa. Which one a da brown kiddies is ya gonna pick ta spends da night wit ya, Missy Massa, ta keep ya company? Cuz ya knows dat all ya gotta do is lemme know which one massa, and I havem clean right up fo ya direckly, Missy Massa!! I dos what ya says cuz I dont wanna be gittin whippted no mo, Missy Massa!!!! I bets I's da best water fetcha in da whole state a Missippi too, Missy Massa!!!
I have no idea what point you are trying to make here other than you are seriously insulting an entire racial population with your antics. Do you actually have something to say or do you just like writing funny?

20yrsinBranson

Old 09-07-2009, 01:34 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,142,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
I'll say when I was 12 there was NO way I could be running a household.

In any case, I think most consent laws should be either 17 or 18.
I think if the parents were ok with their son or daughter seeing an older person, there shouldn't be charges filed later whenever the parent decides to get pissed off or even with their child. Of course some blame can be put on the person dating the younger person. They knew the risks they were taking....

I think rape is a pretty important issue. Maybe if you'd been raped, you'd feel differently. I'm not saying I'd ever want anyone to be raped but coming from someone who has been raped....I just can't believe you said the things I put in bold. It's not a day that goes by that I don't have SOME kind of flashback from my rape.
Well, having come of age during the wild and crazy 1970s, I'm sure there are a few times when, "technically" I had been raped. Nobody ever put a knife to my throat or waved a gun around in my face, but there were a times when I wasn't too keen on the idea and my "no"s were ignored so I along with it mainly to keep the peace and to keep things from escalating into a dangerous situation. I didn't get pregnant and I didn't contract a social disease, so it was not *that* big a deal to me.

Now, I grant you, if someone's life is in danger, being raped is not a bowl of cherries, but when a 15 year old girl goes out with a 21 year old boy, after telling him that she is 18 and then cries "rape", she should be tarred and feathered. That is NOT rape. You would be ASTOUNDED how many young girls provoke sexual experiences with older males. It's not that uncommon at all, and it is hardly rape.

20yrsinBranson

Old 09-07-2009, 05:08 PM

268 posts, read 1,050,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Why is anybody going from state to state, having sex with young girls?

I'd venture a guess that if there's a guy doing that, he doesn't give a crap about the laws anyway.
In this hypothetical, the guy is not "going around state to state having sex with young girls" - imagine if an 18-year old kid decides to do a summer in some other state and has a summer fling.

Old 09-07-2009, 06:56 PM

284 posts, read 543,087 times
Quote:
There was as time in this country when children were molested and raped with impunity and the universe did not come crashing down. Am am not advocating this behavior by any means, but I also feel like WAY WAY WAY too much time and focus is spent on it.

100 years ago, most lots of 12 - 14 year old women were married and running a household. It is only in today's culture that they are considered "children". Personally, I don't know many 14 year olds who act like children, most of them act (and dress) like they are 25.

20yrsinBranson
Quote:
I have no idea what point you are trying to make here other than you are seriously insulting an entire racial population with your antics. Do you actually have something to say or do you just like writing funny?

20yrsinBranson

In your first post you claim that although you do not advocate the raping and molesting of children, there was a time when it happened regularly and nobody was worse for the wear; or as you specifically put it: "the universe did not come crashing down." I'll bet the victim's universes came crashing down. That comment was beyond vile, in my opinion. It was insensitive and *******....

You then went on to say that 12-14 year-olds are perfectly capable of being woman, and it is society that needs to correct itself now and get back to the way things used to be. So taking both of your backward and unenlightened comments into consideration, especially that you seem to long for the days when girls were molested with impunity and ran hoseholds at 12, maybe it isn't that far of a stretch that you think society should correct it's "newfangled" ideas concerning slavery also. I tried a little bit of satire on you with the slave vernacular.

Your original post made me dizzy.

I see you advocate tarring and feathering. You know where that got it's start right? Massa?
20yrsnewarkmagic

Old 09-07-2009, 07:07 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,684,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwynn View Post
In this hypothetical, the guy is not "going around state to state having sex with young girls" - imagine if an 18-year old kid decides to do a summer in some other state and has a summer fling.
I understand that. But why is this 18-year old having a fling with an under-aged girl, regardless of where he or she lives? It's stupid. If said 18-year old wants to have sex with some young lady, he ought to have the brains to make sure she's at least 18 herself. If he's not smart enough to do that, well... it's like they say, you can't cure stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates