Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 11:31 AM

320 posts, read 1,069,688 times

Advertisements

So for background, there are many articles in the news about this, but here is just one for reference:

Obama Says New Tax on Sugary Drinks Worth ‘Exploring’ (Update3) - Bloomberg.com

How ridiculouos is this?!? Ok, I get the idea that we should all live healthier lives, but how would this really be handled? Are we going to tax a regular Coke, but not a Diet Coke? What about all the studies that show how artificial sweeteners cause cancer or whatnot? What about people who are allergic to artificial sweeteners? How about drink mixes like Tang or Country Time, or any iced tea mix?

Stupid. Just. Plain. STUPID.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2009, 11:37 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,664,764 times
Yes, it is stupid.

But hey, it's the government. And it's a left-leaning government that always seems to be on the hunt for more was to tax the citizens. This is just another way.

Here in Omaha, one city council member wants to institute a mandatory inspection on all satellite dishes - done by city officials - with a mandatory inspection fee (not a tax, mind you!). Who do they think they're kidding?

On the other hand, it's a proposed tax on something we can choose to not buy.

Old 09-09-2009, 11:47 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloaf View Post
So for background, there are many articles in the news about this, but here is just one for reference:

How ridiculouos is this?!? Ok, I get the idea that we should all live healthier lives, but how would this really be handled? Are we going to tax a regular Coke, but not a Diet Coke? What about all the studies that show how artificial sweeteners cause cancer or whatnot? What about people who are allergic to artificial sweeteners? How about drink mixes like Tang or Country Time, or any iced tea mix?

It is ridiculous! Is caffinated coffee good for your heart? Why isn't that up there for taxes? Is it okay to purchase a sugar free hot chocolate but have a big bunch of whipped cream on top? Football is good exercise and so is tennis and running. What about all of the "wear and tear" health problems related to those activities? Should we tax footballs, tennis racquets and running shoes?

The President and Congress need to get out of our personal business. They are supposed to run America not Americans and they aren't doing such a swell job at the things they are supposed to be doing.

Old 09-09-2009, 12:03 PM

1,668 posts, read 4,705,568 times
I think a better solution is to target the population who needs some 'direction' in food selecting: Food stamp recepients!!!!

A law making food stamps unusable on unhealthy foods would be better. No more Oreo's & Chocolate milk for those folks. They are the ones who put the biggest drain on our soon-to-be free health care system.

Old 09-09-2009, 12:42 PM

1,364 posts, read 4,145,603 times
I'm much less concerned about the health effects of soda than I am on the fat content of a McDonald's double cheeseburger that only costs $1. So we're going to fight obesity, but people will still need a quadruple bypass by 40 from the fat and cholesterol?

The article wasn't entirely clear, but is this only targeting soda or are we also including things like grape "drink"? Some of those drinks in the refrigerated juice aisle are loaded with sugar, but are significantly cheapter than %100 juices. I'll bet quite a few people are buying "drink" not juice, and don't even know it. They're just looking at the price.

I realize 2 or 3 cents isn't that big of a deal short term, but for me, it's the principle. I eat or drink bad foods in moderation. But I also work out 4 days a week and I'm far from anything close to overweight. Why the heck should I be punished for having enough sense to know that soda isn't a food group?

Quote:
I think a better solution is to target the population who needs some 'direction' in food selecting: Food stamp recepients!!!!

A law making food stamps unusable on unhealthy foods would be better. No more Oreo's & Chocolate milk for those folks. They are the ones who put the biggest drain on our soon-to-be free health care system.
As much as I'd like to see better food selection by those on food stamps, when you have a limited amount of money to spend, which would you do; spend $6 on a gallon of OJ, or $6 worth of packets of Kool-aid and Ramen (at 10 cents each) that you add free water to?

And honestly, I see nothing wrong with milk (ok, rice milk) and cookies as an occasional snack. It's all about moderation.

Old 09-09-2009, 12:56 PM

742 posts, read 1,227,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anadyr21 View Post
I'm much less concerned about the health effects of soda than I am on the fat content of a McDonald's double cheeseburger that only costs $1. So we're going to fight obesity, but people will still need a quadruple bypass by 40 from the fat and cholesterol?

The article wasn't entirely clear, but is this only targeting soda or are we also including things like grape "drink"? Some of those drinks in the refrigerated juice aisle are loaded with sugar, but are significantly cheapter than %100 juices. I'll bet quite a few people are buying "drink" not juice, and don't even know it. They're just looking at the price.

I realize 2 or 3 cents isn't that big of a deal short term, but for me, it's the principle. I eat or drink bad foods in moderation. But I also work out 4 days a week and I'm far from anything close to overweight. Why the heck should I be punished for having enough sense to know that soda isn't a food group?

As much as I'd like to see better food selection by those on food stamps, when you have a limited amount of money to spend, which would you do; spend $6 on a gallon of OJ, or $6 worth of packets of Kool-aid and Ramen (at 10 cents each) that you add free water to?

And honestly, I see nothing wrong with milk (ok, rice milk) and cookies as an occasional snack. It's all about moderation.
all that will do is make it harder for poor people to eat

Old 09-09-2009, 02:28 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
On the other hand, it's a proposed tax on something we can choose to not buy.
That would be a fascinating sort of boycott. You can bet that if it actually happened, the public wouldn't have to lift a finger to have that tax repealed. The manufacturers of sugary beverages would take care of it for us!

Old 09-09-2009, 03:11 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,998,346 times
Tax water from a bottle, it's wasteful. What's wrong with the water fountain?

Old 09-09-2009, 04:09 PM

149 posts, read 228,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloaf View Post

I am not sure about where you live, but in Ohio, there is tax on pop. I went to the store on my lunch for a co-worker to purchase a case of pop for him. The pop was $4.69 but was taxed and total was $5.01. Also, McDonald's is promoting $1.00 for any size pop. There is tax on that too. I cannot open the site you posted but wanted to put my 2 cents in....will it be taxed??

Old 09-09-2009, 04:10 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
This thread got me singing the old Beatles song "The Taxman"

He'll tax the air you breath ......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates