Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 02:57 PM

1,477 posts, read 6,018,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
As citizens, we are empowered to dictate the priorities of the police, who are mandated to serve us as our employees. I want my police to concern themselves with public safety, not tax assessment.

LOL ok then go on down to your local Police Department and tell them that......I am sure the Police just love being told what to do by someone that most likely don't have a clue what law enforcement is all about...

Besides you are barking up the wrong tree....If you are so concerned about tax collection issues and why you have to pay fines.....you would have much better luck starting with the judges and your political leaders and move your way up the judicial and political ladder.

blaming a cop for having to pay fines is like blaming the local pizza delivery driver over the cost of pepperoni
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2009, 03:10 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,784,224 times
I'll chime in on this one because I happen to work in one of five "model sites" created nationally that specifically targets youth and gangs. I am also a former therapist to delinquent teens, including gang kids. This is a very complicated issue, however, a few people have touched on some of the elements. One is the parents -- often when I would work with a teen someone would say to me: "What's wrong with that kid?" And I'd answer "His parents." Which is true to a large extent -- involving the family is a large component.

Where I am in Santa Cruz County, there is a large proportion of gang kids in the southern portion of the county. They exist everywhere, but there are pockets where they are much larger. We have a program that we have been involved with for over ten years: JDAI -- Juvenile Detention Alternatives Initiative -- sponsored by the Annie E. Casey Foundation out of Maryland. This little blurb from their site also shows...which I think is interesting...that it was established by one of the founders of UPS and named after his mother:

Quote:
The Annie E. Casey Foundation is a private charitable organization, dedicated to helping build better futures for disadvantaged children in the United States. It was established in 1948 by Jim Casey, one of the founders of UPS, and his siblings, who named the Foundation in honor of their mother.

The primary mission of the Foundation is to foster public policies, human-service reforms, and community supports that more effectively meet the needs of today’s vulnerable children and families. In pursuit of this goal, the Foundation makes grants that help states, cities and neighborhoods fashion more innovative, cost-effective responses to these needs.
About Us
Our department hosts many heads of juvenile facilities around the nation, and some other countries, to tour our facilities and learn what we are doing and why it works. Because of the leading edge Evidence Based Practices (EBP) that we use, there is actual data that substantiates what works and what doesn't -- this is very important. It is not just subjective. This is a video from JDAI (Annie E. Casey Foundation) that shows three model sites (ours included) and what some of it is about (unfortunately, if you have not run the video before you may have to click on stop then start again) -- Santa Cruz is featured here:
Untitled Document If for some reason the video does not directly open from here (it's quite interesting and has data and good video), then just go to the main page and at the very bottom, you will see "JDAI Documentary" -- just click on that: http://sccounty01.co.santa-cruz.ca.us/prb/jdai.asp ).

In addition, we work closely with gang kids and their families. Sometimes there are just "bad seeds," and they will be the ones who end up in adult prison. However, there are a lot of other kids who are salvageable. Those are the ones with whom we work closely, individually, and as a community.

This article about one of our Probation Officers shows just how hands-on we are. Gina emulates the best of the best -- AND....three of her siblings are in jail because of gang membership....she is an example of someone who can overcome the odds -- our model site strives to help others overcome those same odds -- a little blurb from the article and the link with video:

Quote:
A teenage boy walking down the street comes across a group of rival gang members. The two sides are on the verge of clashing when one of the boys in the group tells his friends the opposing gang member is OK and should be left alone.

Many times, such an encounter would have resulted in a street fight -- or worse -- but this time the lone teen and the one who spoke for him were teammates. Both play on the Aztecas soccer team, a squad of teenage boys in trouble with the law because of their gang affiliations. The team was put together and coached by county probation officer Gina Castaneda.

Many gang members, not just Aztecas players, said they might have resisted joining neighborhood gangs during adolescence had they had other activities to fill their time -- namely, soccer.

Aztecas soccer puts gang members on same team - Santa Cruz Sentinel
As suspected by many here, it does take the entire community to help: schools, families, parents, law enforcement, community-based organizations, extra-curricular activities, and others who just care about kids.

This is a complex issue, and there are many, many behind-the-scenes efforts going on that one usually does not know about -- and successes as a result.

I hope this gives a little hope to the topic. I know this doesn't cover everything -- there are many components to it. However, I hope that those who have the opportunity to work with community organizations who are working against gang activity will join hands with them. This is a group effort -- it is not something that one person can do alone.

Thanks for bringing this topic up, as it has stretched across the entire nation.

Wisteria

Last edited by Wisteria; 09-19-2009 at 03:19 PM..

Old 09-19-2009, 03:12 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,194,526 times
Criminal gangs controlled the western US in the late 1800s and were really little different from todays gangs in that they used violence and intimidation to prey on the weak and defenseless. Individuals who stood up to them, be they a local sheriff or citizen were usually ambushed and murdered. No laws, lawyers or judges changed that. It was the people getting fed up, organizing, and presenting a united force (posses and armed citizens groups) to eliminate them. It was the hangman's rope and bullet that brought law and order. Tolerance of the presence of criminal gangs allows them to exist. As long as we fear them and leave things to the other guy to deal with, they will thrive. The police are powerless due to restrictions placed upon them and the likelihood of being sued for "civil rights" violations, losing their job and hard earned retirement (and the gangs will come after their families in reprisal). Our laws protect the criminals; we are on our own.

Old 09-19-2009, 03:23 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,784,224 times
In my post above yours (which might have been simultaneously posted), you can see that there are many other things being done -- effectively -- that most people are unaware of. I think it's important to know that. Also, as a community member and concerned citizen, you are able to help in community-based organizations working toward this cause. If anyone is interested, especially in communities like ours, please do call your local Probation Department (in particular, as they are in charge of the Juvenile Halls or local Volunteer agency), and ask what you can do and which organizations you might help with. It takes all of us to make this effective and to help our communities. Thanks!

Last edited by Wisteria; 09-19-2009 at 03:33 PM..

Old 09-19-2009, 04:24 PM

315 posts, read 776,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
I'll chime in on this one because I happen to work in one of five "model sites" created nationally that specifically targets youth and gangs. I am also a former therapist to delinquent teens, including gang kids. This is a very complicated issue, however, a few people have touched on some of the elements. One is the parents -- often when I would work with a teen someone would say to me: "What's wrong with that kid?" And I'd answer "His parents." Which is true to a large extent -- involving the family is a large component.

Where I am in Santa Cruz County, there is a large proportion of gang kids in the southern portion of the county. They exist everywhere, but there are pockets where they are much larger. We have a program that we have been involved with for over ten years: JDAI -- Juvenile Detention Alternatives Initiative -- sponsored by the Annie E. Casey Foundation out of Maryland. This little blurb from their site also shows...which I think is interesting...that it was established by one of the founders of UPS and named after his mother:

Our department hosts many heads of juvenile facilities around the nation, and some other countries, to tour our facilities and learn what we are doing and why it works. Because of the leading edge Evidence Based Practices (EBP) that we use, there is actual data that substantiates what works and what doesn't -- this is very important. It is not just subjective. This is a video from JDAI (Annie E. Casey Foundation) that shows three model sites (ours included) and what some of it is about (unfortunately, if you have not run the video before you may have to click on stop then start again) -- Santa Cruz is featured here:
Untitled Document If for some reason the video does not directly open from here (it's quite interesting and has data and good video), then just go to the main page and at the very bottom, you will see "JDAI Documentary" -- just click on that: Santa Cruz County Probation ).

In addition, we work closely with gang kids and their families. Sometimes there are just "bad seeds," and they will be the ones who end up in adult prison. However, there are a lot of other kids who are salvageable. Those are the ones with whom we work closely, individually, and as a community.

This article about one of our Probation Officers shows just how hands-on we are. Gina emulates the best of the best -- AND....three of her siblings are in jail because of gang membership....she is an example of someone who can overcome the odds -- our model site strives to help others overcome those same odds -- a little blurb from the article and the link with video:

As suspected by many here, it does take the entire community to help: schools, families, parents, law enforcement, community-based organizations, extra-curricular activities, and others who just care about kids.

This is a complex issue, and there are many, many behind-the-scenes efforts going on that one usually does not know about -- and successes as a result.

I hope this gives a little hope to the topic. I know this doesn't cover everything -- there are many components to it. However, I hope that those who have the opportunity to work with community organizations who are working against gang activity will join hands with them. This is a group effort -- it is not something that one person can do alone.

Thanks for bringing this topic up, as it has stretched across the entire nation.

Wisteria

You are so right and thank you for taking the time to show this from a different perspective.

The single greatest pride in life I take is having raised both of my kids. I was very involved in both of their lives from birth to being adult. Both of them have turned out to be fine young adults. Nothing can make me more proud then this.

Most kids who find themselves in trouble and in gangs have no guidance whatsoever. A teenager with no guidance or structure is almost always a potentially deadly situation. Get involved and stay involved in your kids lives. Trust me, it's worth it!

Old 09-19-2009, 04:51 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtandc View Post
LOL ok then go on down to your local Police Department and tell them that......I am sure the Police just love being told what to do by someone that most likely don't have a clue what law enforcement is all about...

Besides you are barking up the wrong tree....If you are so concerned about tax collection issues and why you have to pay fines.....you would have much better luck starting with the judges and your political leaders and move your way up the judicial and political ladder.

blaming a cop for having to pay fines is like blaming the local pizza delivery driver over the cost of pepperoni
The police are salaried employees who do what they are told to do. They deserve no blame for that, and I gave them none. Read what I write.

Old 09-19-2009, 04:56 PM

2,782 posts, read 4,165,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyblythe View Post
What is the best legal way to deal with gangs on a community level...
  • In a city where they have already become established?
  • In a town or city where they are just beginning to get a foothold?

In a town with no real identified gang activity, would you consider the presence of jr. high/high school age "wannabes" who emulate the clothing, speech and behavior of gangs, do graffiti and minor vandalism/theft as a forewarning to gang activity or not? ( I have seen this mentioned on some state/city forums where it's often dimissed as not really a precursor to actual gang activity.)
Educate them, and try to get them to understand that if they are part of a gang, they have turn themselves into the slaves to the person/s that are running the gang.

Old 09-19-2009, 05:09 PM

1,477 posts, read 6,018,352 times
Quote:
The police are salaried employees who do what they are told to do. They deserve no blame for that, and I gave them none. Read what I write.

I read exactly what you wrote....

Quote:
As citizens, we are empowered to dictate the priorities of the police, who are mandated to serve us as our employees. I want my police to concern themselves with public safety, not tax assessment.

Maybe you might do better at explaining yourself next time

Old 09-19-2009, 05:14 PM

2,242 posts, read 6,239,509 times
If we could stop gangs, then we would be able to stop world wars.

They all spout from the same things.

Resources, land, revenge, unity.

I see countries as one big gang...

Old 09-19-2009, 05:24 PM

2,782 posts, read 4,165,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
If we could stop gangs, then we would be able to stop world wars.

They all spout from the same things.

Resources, land, revenge, unity.

I see countries as one big gang...
You want to make a united countries of earth? That to me doesn't sound like a bad idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates