Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 06:11 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,646,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post
Question...

If abortion is "killing a baby", how come there isn't a memorial service for said fetus when a woman miscarries/spontaniously aborts?
Actually, there often are. Many women even speak of the baby they lost by name years after the tragic event, and continue to celebrate birthdays. People operate on different levels, and some are more sentimental than others. Some people will grieve for a lost loved one for the rest of their lives, while others will quickly move on. We can't explain human response to tragedy because we are all so different. But I can assure you that there are many women out there who loved that child they lost with all their hearts, even before it came out of the womb. To them, that mass of tissue was a human being the moment they learned it was growing inside them. And they mourn that loss just as if it were someone they had known all their lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2009, 06:36 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,480,822 times
I had 3 miscarriages and lost a baby to a bursted tubal pregnancy, and I will never forget those losses. I have moved on and do not think of it often, but when I do they still sadden me. One of the losses was on Christmas Day, so there is not a Christmas that goes by I do not think of that particular loss.

Old 09-23-2009, 06:36 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,093,167 times
This chick is crazy...it is even crazier that she get the attention she craves.

Old 09-23-2009, 06:43 PM

4,474 posts, read 5,413,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
Actually, there often are. Many women even speak of the baby they lost by name years after the tragic event, and continue to celebrate birthdays. People operate on different levels, and some are more sentimental than others. Some people will grieve for a lost loved one for the rest of their lives, while others will quickly move on. We can't explain human response to tragedy because we are all so different. But I can assure you that there are many women out there who loved that child they lost with all their hearts, even before it came out of the womb. To them, that mass of tissue was a human being the moment they learned it was growing inside them. And they mourn that loss just as if it were someone they had known all their lives.
You'll forgive my skeptizism when I ask for a link.

One of my son's Scout leaders owns a Funeral Parlor. Both of my parents, and my wife an I, have made arrangments with him as well. The question came up when we met for coffee over the weekend. We are both pro-life/pro-choice.

According to him, he has never seen, presided over, or ever heard of any funerals or memorials for a spontaniously aborted fetus.

A late term still born is a different matter. We did have a funeral for the baby we lost, and still refer to him by name.

However, considering that late term abortions make up less than one percent of abortions, plus factoring in the plain fact that over 90% of abortions occur in the first trimester, my question still stands.

If a fetus is a baby, and abortion is murder, why are their no funerals/memorials, or naming and birthdays, for fetuses spontaniously aborted in the first trimester.

I sense a double standard here.

Old 09-23-2009, 06:50 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,020,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I don't know a single pro-choice woman who actually encourages or WANTS women to get abortions. I understand that in certain circumstances an abortion is the best CHOICE for that particular woman, and since I do not know her past story (not the woman for the article, woman in the general sense) I cannot tell her what would be best for her.

I'm a pro choice woman who would be extremely happy if one day abortion wasn't needed. I also understand that it is NOT my right to make that choice for others.

As for the woman in the article...she's a looney toon and should seek professional help.
excellent post

Old 09-24-2009, 12:58 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Quote:
And they mourn that loss just as if it were someone they had known all their lives.
No. They mourn it much differently. I would think that would be obvious.

Old 09-24-2009, 04:04 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,558,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post
Opponents of choice are all about control and dont give a damn about the unborn.
This is a stereotype likely born of ignorance or bitterness. There certainly on anti-Choicers who get actively involved in helping women with unplanned pregnancies and helping the children produced. There's also those of us with congenital conditions who care about the unborn quite a lot.

That said I don't really hate these women who have multiple abortions. Most of the stories I've heard they sound pathetic or deeply troubled. They're generally self-destructive and confused. This woman certainly sounded like it. Although I concede for me her story pushes the envelope a bit and sounds borderline psychopathic. (She wanted to experience the "high" of abortion? I mean I know you likely see it as just another surgery, but even doing so isn't that bizarre? If a woman had 15 plastic surgery procedures and said it gave her a "high" I'd hope psychiatrists would be brought in because even humanistically speaking I think that'd be bizarre behavior)

Anyway even if I did deem her story "psychopathic/sociopathic" that doesn't necessarily mean it's right to hate her either. I think hating people often does more harm to you than them. Even in cases where I feel someone is so psychopathic they should be executed I think it's improper to revel in their death the way some do. To me the execution of even a serial-killer is in a sense a tragic necessity more than anything. It's a recognition of how lost some can get and our inability to save them. And a reminder of the victims and their families.

Old 09-24-2009, 05:23 AM

1,243 posts, read 2,809,737 times
using terms like 'anti-choice' is in poor taste because pro-lifers will retaliate with terms like 'pro-killing' and pro-abortion imo. She has reason to be concerned that pro-lifers will use her as an example though, but hey, she wrote the book. Now she's going to make money off of 15 babies that she aborted. That is sick. Unless of coarse she is donating the proceeds. That would be the thing for her to do. She could donate it for women to receive birth control. Yea, this definetely sounds like some infatuation with death and a desire to either get attention or deny someone life but I'm not a shrink, I don't know and haven't looked into it what could cause this.

Old 09-24-2009, 08:16 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,212,831 times
Another shining example of why capital punishment can be a good idea. Another one is mandatory tube tying - sadly, this is unworkable to justly implement, and more's the pity, as there are thousands if not millions of women for whom this would EASILY be the best and most desirable solution.

Old 09-24-2009, 10:35 AM

4,474 posts, read 5,413,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
This is a stereotype likely born of ignorance or bitterness. There certainly on anti-Choicers who get actively involved in helping women with unplanned pregnancies and helping the children produced. There's also those of us with congenital conditions who care about the unborn quite a lot.

That said I don't really hate these women who have multiple abortions. Most of the stories I've heard they sound pathetic or deeply troubled. They're generally self-destructive and confused. This woman certainly sounded like it. Although I concede for me her story pushes the envelope a bit and sounds borderline psychopathic. (She wanted to experience the "high" of abortion? I mean I know you likely see it as just another surgery, but even doing so isn't that bizarre? If a woman had 15 plastic surgery procedures and said it gave her a "high" I'd hope psychiatrists would be brought in because even humanistically speaking I think that'd be bizarre behavior)

Anyway even if I did deem her story "psychopathic/sociopathic" that doesn't necessarily mean it's right to hate her either. I think hating people often does more harm to you than them. Even in cases where I feel someone is so psychopathic they should be executed I think it's improper to revel in their death the way some do. To me the execution of even a serial-killer is in a sense a tragic necessity more than anything. It's a recognition of how lost some can get and our inability to save them. And a reminder of the victims and their families.
Firstly, of course it's a generalization, based on observations, however, my comments do apply to a vast majority of anti-choice people. There simply is no "bitterness" or "ignorance" involved. If people truely cared about the unborn, then they would educate themselves on the matter instead of merely screaming about it. And I'm almost certain even you would agree that there isn't any argument about "control" with those anti-choicers who don't support well rounded sex education and contraceptive use/availability.

Secondly, I am a Pro-Lifer. Your "just another sugical proceedure" comment is inaccurate. I am also pro-choice, however, simply due to the fact that I am not "ignorant" on the matter. I realize full well that abortions cannot be eliminated through the legal system. They have always occured and always will, legal or not. The difference is in whether the woman has access to safe medical procedures, or must rely on back-alley abortions and/or chemical/herbal abortifacient concoctions that are just as likely to kill the mother.

Targeted education, which has moved the prime demographic from teens to 20 something career women who will msot liekly go on to have children at a later date or alread have children, and has also succeeeded in lowering the number of abortions annually, is absolutely key and vital. Demagogery, insults, biblical psycho-babble, insults, and especially graphic images are NOT education, and merely turn people off as they tune the message out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates