Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 11:45 AM

14 posts, read 68,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post
Targeted education, which has moved the prime demographic from teens to 20 something career women who will msot liekly go on to have children at a later date or alread have children, and has also succeeeded in lowering the number of abortions annually, is absolutely key and vital. Demagogery, insults, biblical psycho-babble, insults, and especially graphic images are NOT education, and merely turn people off as they tune the message out.
Yes, yes, yes. I don't want to be judged (I know I will be but I guess I can't stop it at this point) but I had an abortion and was TOTALLY turned off by the protesters outside because they were all holding quotes of Bible verses whose revelance I didn't understand, judgemental signs, and graphic, inaccurate images. So -- I didn't listen to what they had to say.

Had a protester approached me...talked to me about my options, about the remorse I'd feel after the procedure...maybe the outcome would have been different.

Pro-lifers need to be a little less...polarizing...if they truly want to save the unborn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2009, 02:53 PM

1,243 posts, read 2,809,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirForceSFwife View Post
Yes, yes, yes. I don't want to be judged (I know I will be but I guess I can't stop it at this point) but I had an abortion and was TOTALLY turned off by the protesters outside because they were all holding quotes of Bible verses whose revelance I didn't understand, judgemental signs, and graphic, inaccurate images. So -- I didn't listen to what they had to say.

Had a protester approached me...talked to me about my options, about the remorse I'd feel after the procedure...maybe the outcome would have been different.

Pro-lifers need to be a little less...polarizing...if they truly want to save the unborn.
that's a good point airforceswife, sometimes protestors are mean when protesting not saying the ones you encountered were but something to remember, most women are probably really struggling and upset, I think if people feel like they have to protest outside an abortion place they should do so with candles and roses and stuff, and God loves you signs and we'll help you if you want us to signs and stuff. That would be better IMO

Old 09-29-2009, 02:59 PM

4,474 posts, read 5,413,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirForceSFwife View Post

Absolutely agreed.

This is why I state that, for many so called "pro-lifers", it's a means of control.

They care little for the unborn, if at all, and only wish to either force their religious opinions down everyone's throat, and/or perhaps don't want to appear any less the "Christian" to their neighbors.

Old 09-30-2009, 02:37 PM

18,726 posts, read 33,390,141 times
I personally think the vast majority of "pro-lifers" are, deep down, anti-"Women having sex and 'playing without paying.'"
I personally think careless unprotected sex because one knows abortion is available is distasteful, however, I would never seek to legislate that distaste. It's between an individual and her god, not my business.
Most women I know had at least one abortion, usually in the first year of college. For older ones, it was illegal. I am one of the few women I know who didn't have one (and would have if I got pregnant, although I was always scrupulously careful). My sister got pregant ten years after a tubal ligation, had an abortion. About half of abortions are to married women, so much for the absurd image of women dancing into the abortion clinic to fit into the prom dress or whatever.
I'd rather people were responsible and there were fewer abortions, but it is strictly up to the woman. I would never want to see anything else in legislation.
And I still maintain that most vehement anti-choice people are actually enraged about women's sexual freedom (and ignore that not all married women want every pregnancy just because they are married).
After all, those anti-choicers aren't on the ramparts supporting birth control, are they? I think one reason there are so many unplanned/unwanted pregnancies in this country is the overall "don't do it" "sex teaching," which means people, if they do it, cannot admit to themselves until it's too late that they are sexually active, since they're not supposed to be. I think this is behind the "first year of college" abortions and many teenage/young woman unwanted pregnancies. Girls and women are told they are sluts to do it, "Sex is dirty, save it for your husband," and the environment is astonishingly vulgar on so many fronts, advertising everywhere, virtual soft-core porm on ordinary television... I am no prude or virgin! but I am repulsed by the cheesy sex-soaked media environment that young people have to swim in.
I think sex is both very underrated and very overrated. Talk about mixed messages.
Nothing quite like a anti-choicer with a pregnant teenager or an unwanted pregnancy in the family. Hypocrites.

Old 10-01-2009, 01:27 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,558,648 times
You can't judge all Pro-Life/Anti-Choice, I'm both, people by protesters. Protesters, of any cause, are often either the most rabid or the most narcissistic. Protesting is largely about getting attention and sensible leaflets with objective statistics is not attention grabbing.

Also the Anti-Choicers I've known were very firm that their pregnant teenager, when they had one, would not abort. I'm aware there are such people who decide to get their kid an abortion, but I have not actually experienced them in my life. My nephew got a girl pregnant in his teens and I doubt abortion was ever considered by any of us. Today he makes a good living, has two kids, etc. I'm good with my great-nephews existence even if I think their Dad was a bit foolish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates