Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 10:37 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,559,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebeard View Post
Most of the US is made of people who were "outsiders" within just 2 or 3 generations ago. The country you seem not to like exists due to outsiders.
Right. And they gave up their 'old ways', assimilated, and became 'insiders'. I'm one of them. And if people come here, assimilate, and are willing to adapt themselves to 'here', (instead of demanding that we 'adapt' to THEM), then you'll never hear a complaint, nor an unkind remark, from me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2009, 10:54 AM

2,450 posts, read 5,604,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Right. And they gave up their 'old ways', assimilated, and became 'insiders'. I'm one of them. And if people come here, assimilate, and are willing to adapt themselves to 'here', (instead of demanding that we 'adapt' to THEM), then you'll never hear a complaint, nor an unkind remark, from me.
There are still Italian, Irish, Polish, Chinese, etc... sections of cities. Many of these people proudly display their ethnic heritage, and identify as being different than others with differing ethnicities.
How many generations did that take? Some immediately assimilate, some don't. It's the way its always been. Give the newer immigrants a couple generations. 90% of them will speak fluent English, and a majority of them will likely no longer speak their families previous language. It's happened many times over the years from many successive waves of immigrants. Have some faith in your country. It has a great ability to take people from all over the world with differing beliefs and values, and get them to work together in a functioning society.

Old 10-04-2009, 10:54 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,003,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post

Nobody who is domiciled in the USA is obliged to do anything except obey the laws of the land, pay his taxes, and uphold the values of the Constitution. Whatever else they do, in whatever language or costume, has nothing to do with their legitimacy as Americans.

There are very few countries in the world that possess that quality, and I, for one, am quite proud of my country for that.

Old 10-04-2009, 12:53 PM

1,310 posts, read 3,053,331 times
'At what point does a person become an American?'

REPLY: Formally, when they are either born in this Country or when they are sworn in if an immigrant.

'At what point do Americans ban together where suddenly there is no difference between being born here vs came here as an Immigrant ? '

REPLY: It happened on 9-11-01 and if the USA realizes another major act like that again , then we will once again ban together .

Old 10-04-2009, 02:21 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,918,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVlover View Post
'At what point do Americans ban together where suddenly there is no difference between being born here vs came here as an Immigrant ? '

REPLY: It happened on 9-11-01 and if the USA realizes another major act like that again , then we will once again ban together .
How long will that camaraderie will last for...

About 2-4 months, depending on one's nationality and ethnicity!

Old 10-04-2009, 02:29 PM

7 posts, read 43,139 times
This is a fairly complex question, but I'll give you my opinion. I believe there are three major reasons why (along with 100s of other smaller ones):1. Assimilating into a different culture usually requires a dramatic change in personal beliefs, morals, and language. I'm talking about perspectives that have been handed down from generation to generation for thousands of years. Not to mention individual family, personal, and religious values.When someone makes the decision to live somewhere besides their home country, they better thoroughly research that place before moving to see if it lines up with the core of their being. I know I would. If not, they better keep looking because language becomes the easy part.2. America makes NOT assimilating into our culture easy, starting with language. To begin with, citizenship exams are administered in native languages. Instead of celebrating diversity, what America is really doing is enabling segregation. Immigrants need a little tough love. I believe they'd be happier and not so socially and economically isolated.3. Overboard human rights and legal loopholes have watered down our culture. Minority viewpoints are golden rendering majority viewpoints silent and handcuffed. This causes deep resentment toward immigrants. America does have an intangible but powerful culture: one nation under God, freedom at any cost, hard work, innovation, determination, and the pursuit of excellence. We are fiercely patriotic. It's hard to establish a culture when it's constantly being diluted.I can tell you that I've traveled internatonally a fair amount and actually live in a foreign country now. Not once have I ever expected the locals to conform to me. Even though I'm a permanent resident, it's still my burden to conform to their culture. I would never in a million years ask them to conform to my culture, demand change, feel entitled, or take advantage of their way of life. It was MY choice to move, and I reside there because I want to experience a culture different (but similar) to mine. I would hate to see the expression of some foreign government official if I even suggested cultural changes, asked for social services, declared my civil rights, or expected citizenship just because I stepped foot on their soil. In some countries, I may even be immediately deported, imprisoned, have my tongue cut out, or stoned for the mere thought.

Old 10-04-2009, 02:44 PM

18,731 posts, read 33,402,036 times
One problem for many countries is that they are simply lines drawn on a map after some empire ended or lost a war. There is no "national story" or conversation or sense of a nation within those arbitrary lines. As the writer Rebecca West said, "I hate the stink of dying empires." I don't think there is particular national sense in many African countries, or Mideast, or for that matter, many of the line-drawn places following, largely, the end of the British empire. The Ottoman empire seems to have lost the tolerance it was formerly known for, although being an Islamic empire, and all that is left after the Ottomans is nationalism based on religion.

America is an idea. If people don't buy into the idea, they're not becoming American. Of course, many born Americans have trouble with the idea, but it's an imperfect thing, always evolving. Every country has a constitution, but most treat it like a mission statement from a company- recycled blather that sounds vaguely right. I was touched by the naivete of people who thought an Iraqi constitution was such a big thing. Iraq is lines on a map, formerly ethnically segregated provinces of the Ottomans. I don't think a piece of paper will make it a nation of a shared vision. The U.S. Constitution is close to being a sacred document. As one jokester said during Bush II, "Why don't we send our constitution to Iraq? We're not using it, anyway."
The only countries I can think of that started as a vision are the U.S. and Israel. Other countries, of course, evolved and have their own national stories, but weren't started for that story. I think becoming an American is to support the Bill of Rights and try to live the Constitution, and that's for everyone here to do.

Old 10-04-2009, 05:34 PM

2,450 posts, read 5,604,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
The only countries I can think of that started as a vision are the U.S. and Israel.
Almost all countries start with a vision or a national story. You just don't know them.
Even countries such as Switzerland, which is basically a buffer country, has a vision of neutrality to save its own butt.

Old 10-04-2009, 05:36 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,441,267 times
When we stop saying them
& start saying we

Old 10-04-2009, 11:12 PM

487 posts, read 636,665 times
I believe the only thing holding this country together is the prosperity brought on by technology and cheap energy. A multicultural multiracial society simply wouldn't work in traditional times, its not a nation its just a conglomeration of everybody. There is nothing holding this country together other than the almighty dollar, the only places where you'll find people who really idolize this idea of being "American" is in white areas. The idealists believe its human nature to be "tolerant" and envision a future of humans of all cultures and colors holding hands and singing kumbayah, they are hopelessly naive.

Last edited by dusk99; 10-04-2009 at 11:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates