Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 08:24 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,449,100 times

Advertisements

I'm asking because the face of the USA is changing.

The immigrants who came to the USA in the 1700's - 1800's and early 1900's assimilated into American culture.

Yet today, when people come here they find niches in this country and carry forth the culture they had where they came from and don't attempt to assimilate into American culture. One excuse I have heard many give is that America doesn't have a culture.

Our nation allows people to come to this country from every nation on the planet to live "the American Dream". When many of these people come here they carry on the same cultural standards where they came from. They don't attempt to integrate into American society.

Where do you see this nation in 30 years?

Hyphenated Americans... Haitian/Americans, Mexican/Americans, Armenian/Americans, etc...

At what point does a person become an American?

I do understand that the first generation of immigrants usually cling to the culture where they came from but there are people who have lived here for 50 years who do not speak English or attempt to assimilate and continue to see Americans as foreigners when a person out of their culture ventures into their comfortable segregated city block.

The face of this nation is changing.

Discuss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2009, 08:34 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,449,100 times
Look at the Afghani who was arrested for plotting against the USA.

http://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2009/...y-newyork.html

When was he to become an American?

Had an American education was living the dream.

He turned against us.

There is simmering turmoil in this nation because of our open arms.

People really need to read the news, and open your eyes to see what is really going on here.

He's not the first and won't be the last.

Old 09-28-2009, 08:59 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,530,843 times
that's great, but don't freakin make blanket statements about all brown people or muslims
because you just sound like a fool.

what makes you american btw? which one one of your great great grandparents killed to make you talk sh*t?

Old 09-28-2009, 08:59 PM

1,250 posts, read 4,783,999 times
I don't think we should necessarily be striving towards being 'just Americans'.
I think, for the most part, America is a dynamic country. Its makeup changes continually.
We shouldn't be trying to eliminate the differences, but instead embracing and appreciating the differences.
And I'm not saying this as some ultra-left-wing-politically-correct-We-are-the-world nut.
I truly believe that America's diversity is one of its strongest assets. America's diversity is virtually unparalleled. I think we should not be asking how we can 'assimilate' outsiders to the "American Way" but we should be asking and reaching towards a point where our diversity becomes an asset instead of a liability.

This of course, comes with some limitations. I am in no way advocating that America should be some type of cultural/social free for all. But maintaining cultural identity is not a bad thing when it can be appreciated and respected by all.

Old 09-28-2009, 09:05 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,052,033 times
It's all subjective, people will pick out points of unity or division that will support the point they want to make.

Old 09-28-2009, 09:06 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,675,409 times
Once the influence,control and greed of corporate business is removed from politics all that will be left is "just" Americans.

Old 09-28-2009, 09:11 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,530,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Once the influence,control and greed of corporate business is removed from politics all that will be left is "just" Americans.
we're not gonna see it in our lifetime. i like to see young minds broadened

Old 09-28-2009, 09:18 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post

People really need to read the news, and open your eyes to see what is really going on here.

Wrongo. People need to STOP reading the news, which is nothing but a profit-driven hysteria machine. Read public affairs magazines and history books, and talk to immigrants to see what you can learn from them.

You know what's really wrong with the news? It's fair and balanced. The side that is wrong, misinformed, or mean spirited does not deserve equal time, but they get it. I'm talking about the News, not the talk shows, which just preach to the choir.

People also need to grow up and stop basing their entire worldliness on Reverend Weems versions of history. Most people's views of history are the equivalent to basing their religious faith on the Golden Book of Bible Stories in the doctor's waiting room.

Old 09-28-2009, 09:29 PM

1,250 posts, read 4,783,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Most people's views of history are the equivalent to basing their religious faith on the Golden Book of Bible Stories in the doctor's waiting room.
This is quotable.

Old 09-28-2009, 09:29 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,593,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
The immigrants who came to the USA in the 1700's - 1800's and early 1900's assimilated into American culture.

Yet today, when people come here they find niches in this country and carry forth the culture they had where they came from and don't attempt to assimilate into American culture.
I know what you mean, and I think that your question can be answered this way: wait until the second, or possibly in some cases the third, generation. They'll have become assimilated. (I say this as a second-generation American. All four of my grandparents came here as immigrants, which is how I came to develop this thesis).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates