Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2012, 11:54 PM

220 posts, read 475,517 times

Advertisements

I've noticed people are more and more annoyed by human interaction than ever. Anything annoys them. It could be something as small as waiting an extra 3 seconds in line at the market.

Everyone is so harsh in their interactions.

I think a lot of it has to do with being always connected to some digital device. We no longer look at people( nor pay attention) to anything other than mobile devices. When "we" are not looking at a Ipad or Smart phone, "we" have earphones in our ears with the music blasted.

We've become a society of being "disconnected" from human interactions and are becoming islands. I think there is a direct correlation between that and how rude people have become.

Discuss.

Last edited by TheHitman; 02-08-2012 at 12:15 AM..

Old 02-08-2012, 06:17 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
I personally don't think it's the devices themselves.

I think we have become more impatient because we are used to getting what we want when we want it with these devices.

We can reach anyone anytime, theoretically, and "lightning fast" Internet puts the world's info at our fingertips. So if we have to wait 30 seconds for a connection, we freak.

I don't think the pearl-clutching about our society forgetting how to interact and becoming cavemen again is necessary, though. Just be aware of it and work on remembering to treat others as you would want to be treated.

Old 02-08-2012, 06:31 AM

220 posts, read 475,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Just be aware of it and work on remembering to treat others as you would want to be treated.

Looks good on paper....

Old 02-08-2012, 06:53 AM

19,517 posts, read 9,540,055 times
Have no problem waiting for x-amount of minutes for a table or booth at a restaurant or waiting in a grocery line. Yes, I have an ipod/iphone but I'm not on it every minute either. DH and I share various articles of interest that we may find on the internet and help us when we get stuck on a crossword puzzle. Sometimes it's nice to have the earphones to relax on a train going into work/coming home. We catch up on news and messages from family members that don't live in the same area as we do.

Headphones can be a blessing when you're sitting next to someone who's totally annoying themselves - blowing big bubbles and popping them loudly,
cackling laughs, you name it. I'm sure there's people who will tell you that they wish they had their headphones with them the time that they got on the plane and the person next to them just had to tell their life history and family problems. Thanking the Lord that the flight wasn't more than 2 hours long.

Old 02-08-2012, 07:52 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,012,483 times
Patience is gone from our society. Smart phones and electronic devices are not necessarily the cause, but the effect (IMO). We strive more and more to have immediate satisfaction to are wants, desires, and needs.

So if something is going to take time, we reject it.

Smart phones, in a way, are just an enabler to this "we need it now" mentality.

Old 02-08-2012, 08:08 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHitman View Post
Looks good on paper....
Feels good in action!

Old 02-08-2012, 04:37 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,344,990 times
There's already a thread discussing this here: https://www.city-data.com/forum/great...n-society.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates