Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2009, 08:00 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,064,636 times

Advertisements

LOL, Limbaugh is finding that there are pleanty of people in "polite society" who find him distasteful. No NFL team for Rush. Time to crawl back under the bridge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2009, 08:03 AM

480 posts, read 878,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
I just hope more people do not think like you, or our country is heading down the wrong path. I do not want to live in a world where people are judged and damned, solely based upon their political views.

The thought police in this country want to damn anyone who publicly voices a conservative political viewpoint. This type of activity should be discouraged, not cheered on.
Did you read the post you quoted?

Again, most of the owners in the NFL hold the same political views as Rush Limbaugh. They financially contribute primarily to Republicans/conservatives. It's not about Limbaugh's political views, it's about the fact that he's a very polarizing figure who repeatedly makes offensive comments about various people and entities, including minorities and the NFL.

Old 10-15-2009, 08:12 AM

6,175 posts, read 12,936,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
First, the point isn't whether he was technically right or wrong about the man's performance, it was about how he framed it, making it about race. All he had to say was that the guy was getting more praise than he deserved and quote his stats to make his point. Period.
Really? So you think that him pointing out the reason for McNabb to be getting all this undeserved praise makes him a racist? Or do you think you know enough about the situation hat you can say he was wrong in his statement?

Second, if you think that's the only ugly, racist thing Limbaugh has ever spewed that made him too controversial to remain a partner in this venture, think again. The man is a hateful, ugly racist. His hateful spew is finally coming back to bite him in the ass and prove to him that he's done getting a pass and profiting off his vile rhetoric.[/quote]
I don't have time to go through those statements one by one (what liberal Rush hating site did you get them from, anyway?) But have some thoughts on several of them very quickly;
First, there is a difference between racial insensitivity and racism.
Pointing out that someone is using the color of their skin to acheive a goal is not being a racist.
Suggesting that the NBA appears sometimes like a gang might have more to do with the markings the players have tattooed all over them and their actions (jumping into the stands, attacking fans) than it does with the color of their skin.
President Obama is in fact a black president, and with his immediate, uninformed, and incorrect statements about the white police officer in the Gates incident, certainly appeared that he was trying to destroy that police officer.
And right back where we started, the media was at that moment in time very desirous of a successful black quarterback.

Old 10-15-2009, 08:17 AM

37,961 posts, read 22,141,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisake View Post
Did you read the post you quoted?

Again, most of the owners in the NFL hold the same political views as Rush Limbaugh. They financially contribute primarily to Republicans/conservatives. It's not about Limbaugh's political views, it's about the fact that he's a very polarizing figure who repeatedly makes offensive comments about various people and entities, including minorities and the NFL.
Don't be absurd, of course I read the damn post I replied to. I was not commenting on the NFL owners, which should have been obvious.

Old 10-15-2009, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emh View Post
Nice try BUT...

1) It's clear that Rush wasn't just referring to the 2003 season. If we was, he would have said "...and he is getting a lot of credit for the performance of this team that he doesn't deserve. The defense is carrying this team." Rush's use of the past tense clearly shows that he's talking about much more than just the current season.

2) Quaterbacks always receive more credit (and more blame) than they deserve. Every football fan knows that. There was ZERO reason to inject race into the discussion. Doing so revealed Rush's own racism and bigotry (not that it should have some as a surprise to anyone).
You're so wrong it's silly. Watch any sports report and you will see that it's quite common to talk about what has happened so far this season in the past tense. Even if he were talking about the previous years though, can you say for certain he was wrong? Go back & look at the numbers, if you really want to turn this into a discussion on the performance of a QB. He had several decent to good seasons. None spectacular. So Rush thought he was getting (or had gotten) far more praise than was his due. He thought the praise should go to the defense. And he thought he knew the reason.

Old 10-15-2009, 08:23 AM

37,961 posts, read 22,141,678 times
The news and sports media behaved shamefully during this entire week. They could not even come up with a MediaMatters doctored video loop, or a Dan Rather styled forgery. I hope Limbaugh sues them for hundreds of millions, and gives the money to his favorite charities.

Last edited by Wapasha; 10-15-2009 at 08:39 AM..

Old 10-15-2009, 08:37 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,736,758 times
I'm waiting till Rush will sue them for pushing him out! ...I'm all behind Rush on this one!

Old 10-15-2009, 08:38 AM

1,062 posts, read 1,127,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
I don't have time to go through those statements one by one (what liberal Rush hating site did you get them from, anyway?) But have some thoughts on several of them very quickly;
First, there is a difference between racial insensitivity and racism.
Pointing out that someone is using the color of their skin to acheive a goal is not being a racist.
Suggesting that the NBA appears sometimes like a gang might have more to do with the markings the players have tattooed all over them and their actions (jumping into the stands, attacking fans) than it does with the color of their skin.
President Obama is in fact a black president, and with his immediate, uninformed, and incorrect statements about the white police officer in the Gates incident, certainly appeared that he was trying to destroy that police officer.
And right back where we started, the media was at that moment in time very desirous of a successful black quarterback.
For the libs on this forum, who always demand proof, a source and a link to everything said that is critical of democrats, its very illuminating that the same libs do not care about proof or links now.

The news and sports media behaved shamefully during this entire week. They could not even come up with a MediaMatters doctored video loop, or a Dan Rather styled forgery. I hope Limbaugh sues them for hundreds of millions, and gives the money to his favorite charities.[/quote]

What a great post , I listen to Rush every day and he is no racist .
Its the NFL thats become racist. It seems to enjoy and praise black male felons and it has affirmative action for black male coaches (I must say the black coaches are good but anyway...). As a half white woman I don't think the NFL is my cup of tea any longer. I will watch the dog whisperer on Sundays not Mikael Vic and his brothers.

Old 10-15-2009, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
I'm waiting till Rush will sue them for pushing him out! ...I'm all behind Rush on this one!
Rush isn't going to sue his investment group for pushing him out. They made a business decision, and he surely understands they are correct, even if he doesn't like it. And there is no one else he could sue for this, as it was the group & him that decided he would back out. The NFL never made any decision on the matter. The owners didn't vote, though one owner (I believe) said he would vote against. Some players said they wouldn't play for him. But no one pushed him out. He won't sue anyone.

Old 10-15-2009, 08:49 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,404,222 times
This whole Rush thing is classic liberal/government media diversion. They do it, because they know it works...they're just hoping they can stretch it out until the health care bill passes the House.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates