Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 02:22 PM

2,637 posts, read 4,463,432 times

Advertisements

Seems to be a lots of things "flying under the radar"--maybe we need a big net.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2009, 03:55 PM

711 posts, read 1,511,874 times
Yes , they go together. You can,t die unless you live and you can,t live unless you die.

Old 11-21-2009, 04:09 PM

392 posts, read 1,095,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
ok another euthenasia post flying under radar.
life ---- the story has a beginning and an end but messing with either is evil.
dont be helping the 7 month old child and the old man with that issue.
remember fickle america you put the germans on trial for this stuff at nuremberg not that long ago.
You're not even luke warm. Sorry! I could careless if you wish to end your suffering or not, that is your choice. I could careless what any politician, religious guru, or otherwise judgmental individual states on the subject. If you wanna die to end your suffering, then be my guest.

Personally, I do indeed view dying as part of life. I intend to endure the suffering that will become of me and compartmentalize each of those experiences / findings in my mind and spirit. For what purpose? I'm not sure yet. I refuse to off myself and will fight to my last breath. This is my choice. I've never taken the easy path, or easy way in life, so why start now?

With that said, anyone else out there who chooses a different path? I shall not, nor ever judge.

Old 11-21-2009, 06:06 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
As Dr. Kavorkian's supporters pointed out, suppose your grandmother and your dog are both extremely old and infirm and suffering great pain with no positive prognosis.

You would be guilty of a criminal offense if your DO put Grandma down, and you would also be guilty of a criminal offense if you do NOT put your dog down.

Old 11-21-2009, 10:09 PM

341 posts, read 678,935 times
Perceptions of death vary and reflect diverse values and philosophies. Death may be seen as a punishment for one's sins, an act of atonement, or a judgement of a just God. For some, death means lonliness; for others, death is a quest for hapiness. For others, death represents redemption, a relief from the trials and tribulations of the earthly world. Some embrace death and welcome it; others abhor and fear it. For those who welcome it, death may be seen as the fitting end to a fulfilled life. From this perspective, how we depart from earth is influenced by how we have lived. In the words of Leonardo da Vinci, "Death should come to an individual after a full life, just as sleep comes after a hard day's work."

In many ways, we are death avoiders and death deniers in the United States of America. This denial can take many forms:

~ The tendency of the funeral industry to gloss over death and fashion lifelike qualities of the dead

~ The adoption of euphemistic language for death; for example, exiting, passing on, never say die, and good for life, which implies forever

~ The persistent search for a fountain of youth

~ The rejection and isolation of the aged, who may remind us of death

~ The adoption of the concept of a pleasant and rewarding afterlife, suggesting that we are immortal

~ The medical community's emphasis on the prolongation of biological life rather than an emphasis on diminishing human suffering

Even though we Americans are death avoiders and death deniers, ultimately we face death - others' and our own.

Old 11-22-2009, 11:56 AM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
I think there are two discussions here- is dying itself part of a life (yes, we all die) and is the *process* of dying, of getting from life to death, a part of life (or is rational suicide a reasonable option).
Addressing the latter, I am pained to read of people who are left with no apparent option but shooting oneself and one's spouse as rational suicide. What an ugly thing for people to have to do, and for someone to have to find.
As I've said, I personally don't think there is any requirement that someone live out their illness to a "natural" death, if that process of living it out is unacceptable to the person- pain or debilitation or mind loss or whatever that person finds unacceptable. Pain is the only aspect that any rational suicide/assisted suicide laws attempt to address.
I've worked with end-stage Alzheimer's. There's NO WAY I'd ever find value in going through that or keeping someone alive to go through it, someone I had guardianship or influence over.
For that matter, if I became a quadraplegic, I'm pretty sure I'd want to die, too. That's just me. I don't mean those people's lives don't have value, but mine wouldn't have value TO ME and I'd want a decent way out, not a shotgun.

Old 11-22-2009, 04:56 PM

392 posts, read 1,095,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Dakar View Post
Perceptions of death vary and reflect diverse values and philosophies. Death may be seen as a punishment for one's sins, an act of atonement, or a judgement of a just God. For some, death means lonliness; for others, death is a quest for hapiness. For others, death represents redemption, a relief from the trials and tribulations of the earthly world. Some embrace death and welcome it; others abhor and fear it. For those who welcome it, death may be seen as the fitting end to a fulfilled life. From this perspective, how we depart from earth is influenced by how we have lived. In the words of Leonardo da Vinci, "Death should come to an individual after a full life, just as sleep comes after a hard day's work."

In many ways, we are death avoiders and death deniers in the United States of America. This denial can take many forms:

~ The tendency of the funeral industry to gloss over death and fashion lifelike qualities of the dead

~ The adoption of euphemistic language for death; for example, exiting, passing on, never say die, and good for life, which implies forever

~ The persistent search for a fountain of youth

~ The rejection and isolation of the aged, who may remind us of death

~ The adoption of the concept of a pleasant and rewarding afterlife, suggesting that we are immortal

~ The medical community's emphasis on the prolongation of biological life rather than an emphasis on diminishing human suffering

Even though we Americans are death avoiders and death deniers, ultimately we face death - others' and our own.
Wow! Extraordinarily well said! I agree 100%

Old 11-22-2009, 05:24 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone_Sculpture_Artist View Post
If you could, would you wish to escape the experience of the process of death, dying? Assisted suicide? Or do you think the process of dying is natural and should be experienced?

I am terminally ill, neurological illness that will progress over the next 3-4 years. When I was first told I would not have a lengthy life span, it rocked my world with fear. But as some time has passed, I no longer fear my death and in some unusual way, welcome the experience. I can't say I look forward to it, but am curious about the process and what happens just after it. This is amazing to me and I can't help that think the human mind is preconditioned to accept death once the point of no return has been passed. I used to lay awake at night thinking of death and fearing it, before I was even sick. Now that its here and there is no turning back, I have no fear at all. I can't explain it. We saw it with Ted Kennedy, Patrick Swayze, who ultimately came to terms and found acceptance and peace in their demise.

Those that are against the "right to die" always argue that death is part of life's experience and that many positive aspects can be attributed to the process of death. While I personally support the idea that if someone is suffering from a terminal illness with no chance for recovery, that they should indeed have the right to end it, I also agree with the argument that death is part of life's experience.

We will all face it, sooner or later.
I am not ill, but I have lived through an experience wherein I was in such grave danger that I thought the moment of my death was at hand.

Ever since the age of six when a cousin my age died, I was terrified of death to the point of obsession. After the aforementioned experience, I am no longer afraid of death. People died around me and I did not; I felt a door open next to me but I did not go through; and because of that, I have a sound conviction that I will die when it is my time to die and no worry or prayer will change that.

So, although I am not feeling what you are feeling right now, my answer would be yes, it is part of life's experience.

Old 11-22-2009, 07:57 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,772,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone_Sculpture_Artist View Post
If you could, would you wish to escape the experience of the process of death, dying? Assisted suicide? Or do you think the process of dying is natural and should be experienced?

I am terminally ill, neurological illness that will progress over the next 3-4 years. When I was first told I would not have a lengthy life span, it rocked my world with fear. But as some time has passed, I no longer fear my death and in some unusual way, welcome the experience. I can't say I look forward to it, but am curious about the process and what happens just after it. This is amazing to me and I can't help that think the human mind is preconditioned to accept death once the point of no return has been passed. I used to lay awake at night thinking of death and fearing it, before I was even sick. Now that its here and there is no turning back, I have no fear at all. I can't explain it. We saw it with Ted Kennedy, Patrick Swayze, who ultimately came to terms and found acceptance and peace in their demise.

Those that are against the "right to die" always argue that death is part of life's experience and that many positive aspects can be attributed to the process of death. While I personally support the idea that if someone is suffering from a terminal illness with no chance for recovery, that they should indeed have the right to end it, I also agree with the argument that death is part of life's experience.

We will all face it, sooner or later.
First let me say that Im glad you are handling your news very well and have come to terms with your eventual death. Is it 'natural' ? It is natural that all who have lived on earth, have died...but, physical death was not originally the plan for us by God . When sin entered the world by our first Parents, it threw the original order of things into chaos and destruction ...physical death of humans included. We all have a date with physical death but the good news is, it can 'be safe' for us to die ; what I mean is, we can know where we are going right after physical death (seperation of our body from the REAL you ... the inner person or the Soul of the Person) . Once you know where you are going and why based on the highest authority ever, there can be a great peace, joy, and hope about it --- even something to REALLY look forward to because it will be a very safe passage . There is however, a false sense of security which many people have about their eventual death so Id like to offer you something to personally consider so you have the real and actual sense of security and peace surrounding your death which is simply a transfer from a finite place to an eternal (never ending) place . It is simplified in the order of ABC , as follows, and if it is sincerely done with a heart of humility, you can occupy the real peace and joy that transcends all human understanding. So, that is my prayer for you as I say goodbye and hope to see you on the other side . Regards :

ABCs of Salvation

Old 11-22-2009, 10:05 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,374,256 times
When someone very near and dear to you dies, you don't fear death anymore. Thats what I've always heard and read, then I experienced it myself. I am not afraid to die at all, and I do believe in assisted suicide. It's legal in some countries. When you are living in constant, severe, pain, what kind of life is that? When you can't do anything but lay in bed with a bed pan under you, that's not living. Dr. Kevorkian would not assist anyone for pain from an illness, only from a terminal illness. A friends' mother tried to get him to "assist" her because of her 24-7 terrible pain. She was on the maximum amount of pain meds they allow. Anyway, he wouldn't do it, so she shot herself. People should not have to do this to themselves or anyone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates