Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 08:56 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,269,233 times

Advertisements

Last week friends of mine, an elderly man and his wife committed double suicide. They took sleeping pills then he shot her and killed himself. They had arranged under false pretenses for a nephew, their only living relative, to find them the next day. I hadn't seen them in quite a while as they kept to themselves and can only assume they were deteriorating, but it made for a very sad week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2009, 09:08 PM

392 posts, read 1,095,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgoldie View Post
Last week friends of mine, an elderly man and his wife committed double suicide. They took sleeping pills then he shot her and killed himself. They had arranged under false pretenses for a nephew, their only living relative, to find them the next day. I hadn't seen them in quite a while as they kept to themselves and can only assume they were deteriorating, but it made for a very sad week.
I too know an elderly couple that did the same thing. Very sad story. They were both in their mid 80s and the wife had advanced alzheimers. He gave her a heavy dose of sleeping pills and then shot her, then himself. He left a note on the front door for his kids. He said he could not watch her suffer anymore and could not stay behind once she was gone. I'm kind of on the fence about that one, as I wonder if it would have been better had some professional intervened. But at the same time, who am I to judge them?

Old 11-20-2009, 09:45 PM

1,113 posts, read 2,520,664 times
Joe in the movie, "Meet Joe Black" said.....

If we lucky, maybe... we got some nice pictures to take with us. You got enough nice pictures?

Maybe it is about our experiences and the memories we take with us that determines how peaceful we end.

Old 11-21-2009, 01:54 AM

744 posts, read 1,209,866 times
For everyone it will be a different answer. If you have made peace with it, it will be an experience that you do not fear and then those around you will also have peace of mind knowing that you were ready for it when it happens, as far as the assisted suicide if you become in pain and are suffering with no relief possible then I feel that assisted death would be OK. We often put our animals down in the consideration of being humane, why then would we not want the same for our family or friends.

Old 11-21-2009, 07:20 AM

2,637 posts, read 4,463,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone_Sculpture_Artist View Post
I can't say I've lived a perfect life, but all in all, I think I've done much good. I don't have any major regrets, but some minor ones for sure. I've never turned away a person in need of help. I've always put my needs second to the loved ones around me, I've helped the homeless, took in foster kids a few times, volunteered more then my fair share. I was faithful to my now ex-wife and family and always respected my parents and authority, but held my right to protest wrongs, I suppose.

I think my personal regrets are the typical classic ones. Like wishing I had spent more time with family, realizing there is more to life then work, appreciating the smaller, meaningful things in life more. Stuff like that. But I can say with a straight face, I've been good to my fellow man and always tried to do what's right.

Now I sit and wonder what's on the other side? Blackness and void, or something so grand it will blow my mind?
I like to think it will be just fine, what ever it is. And that's all I can add.

Old 11-21-2009, 07:23 AM

Quote:
I too know an elderly couple that did the same thing. Very sad story. They were both in their mid 80s and the wife had advanced alzheimers. He gave her a heavy dose of sleeping pills and then shot her, then himself. He left a note on the front door for his kids. He said he could not watch her suffer anymore and could not stay behind once she was gone. I'm kind of on the fence about that one, as I wonder if it would have been better had some professional intervened. But at the same time, who am I to judge them?
Situations like that are what makes some folks just "Pray for them" what else can a person do?

Old 11-21-2009, 07:55 AM

4,273 posts, read 15,253,371 times
I, too, think death is a part of life. You come into this world alone and you're leavin' it the same way. Towards "the end", my Dad would tell me not to be afraid of him dying. That he wasn't afraid anymore and we shouldn't be either. He probably passed away a month or two after that. Although my dad wanted to fight 'til the end, watching him suffer the way he did, I've become a strong supporter of euthanasia. Not everyone has that will to fight and I give kudos to my Dad but damn, I don't think I'd be as strong and brave as him if that was my fate. You die regardless if you are euthanized or if you let death take you "naturally" so giving someone who is terminally the choice I feel is empowering them to make a decision about their disease.

Old 11-21-2009, 09:00 AM

If the time comes someone else must take care my my personal Hygiene for me--I'm gettin out. Plain and simple. I want to have some dignity left when I go.

Old 11-21-2009, 09:16 AM

25,732 posts, read 18,809,520 times
Quote:
If you could, would you wish to escape the experience of the process of death, dying? Assisted suicide? Or do you think the process of dying is natural and should be experienced?

I am terminally ill, neurological illness that will progress over the next 3-4 years. When I was first told I would not have a lengthy life span, it rocked my world with fear. But as some time has passed, I no longer fear my death and in some unusual way, welcome the experience. I can't say I look forward to it, but am curious about the process and what happens just after it. This is amazing to me and I can't help that think the human mind is preconditioned to accept death once the point of no return has been passed. I used to lay awake at night thinking of death and fearing it, before I was even sick. Now that its here and there is no turning back, I have no fear at all. I can't explain it. We saw it with Ted Kennedy, Patrick Swayze, who ultimately came to terms and found acceptance and peace in their demise.

Those that are against the "right to die" always argue that death is part of life's experience and that many positive aspects can be attributed to the process of death. While I personally support the idea that if someone is suffering from a terminal illness with no chance for recovery, that they should indeed have the right to end it, I also agree with the argument that death is part of life's experience.

We will all face it, sooner or later.
Sorry to hear of your condition.

True, we all face death (some of us think if we ignore it, it will go away), but it can't be easy. I've thought about the sorts of things you've written here a lot. It's going to happen to all of us. Personally, I'm convinced that somehow, we continue on in a 'cosmic journey' of some sort. While the rest of us continue arguing about it in life, you will know. Some sort of peace comes from that, I would think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason28 View Post
Its definitely part of the experience. Life begins with birth and ends with death...taxes in between, you know the rest. All of us will die but most of us go around on a day to day basis not realizing that. Its almost like most people are living in some type of sureal dream. I have heard from a lot of people who developed terminal illnesses (like AIDS) that they were happier than before and almost consider it a blessing in that they have time to prepare everything because they can accurately predict when they will die. I can understand that viewpoint.

I can also relate to some of that from having near death experiences myself a few times. One thing I came to realize so far is that the less you feel you have here, on earth left in the material plane, the easier it is for you to really know yourself and see things/people for what/who they really are. People who are wrapped up in things like ambitions, money, and acting as if they'll live forever will never truly understand peace or happiness. A few years of real happiness and being at peace are better than living an entire life in fear and materialism...regardless of what awaits us in the afterlife. Use your time left wisely.
Great post.

Old 11-21-2009, 09:26 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
ok another euthenasia post flying under radar.
life ---- the story has a beginning and an end but messing with either is evil.
dont be helping the 7 month old child and the old man with that issue.
remember fickle america you put the germans on trial for this stuff at nuremberg not that long ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates