Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 08:22 PM

1,557 posts, read 3,309,125 times

Advertisements

Yes I do understand that a lot of our economy is reliant on imports... More and more of our labor is being outsourced to China because of greedy corporations and inept unions, but we can do our part by buying American everything at a grass roots level. When you lose your job and you wonder why after you have been shopping at chinamart for the past 10 years you have no one to blame but your self for your iresponsible consumption habits. Try buying an American luxury car instead of leasing a big gaudy import SUV , cook your own food with local ingredients from your local farmers market, kick back with the family or friends and share some Napa or Sonoma California wine on your day off, a good bottle can be had for under 15 bucks. This country can be strong again if we all support one and other. Wall street is NOT to blame for EVERYTHING. WE are to blame if we dont get our azz in gear. PEACE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2009, 08:29 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,554,704 times
American Made Products and/or Services Made in USA

At first blush I get your argument.

However, there are so many people these days just trying to stay our of bankruptcy that they buy for price first and not necessarily where something is made or grown. I can't blame them for that.

Next is quality. Some made in USA items are very good quality and some are junk. For example, Chrysler vehicles are now at the very bottom of the heap with crap cars like Kia & Hyundia. Why should I spend $20,000 for a car that I have to put a lot of money into just so I can say I bought American?

All that to say, I think we should look first at American made, but also be wise consumers as well.

Old 02-07-2009, 08:31 PM

1,788 posts, read 4,757,820 times
Sorry, I'm going to go for quality first and price-savvy second. If what fits the bill is something foreign, then USA-based companies need to do a better job.

Old 02-07-2009, 08:49 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,549,412 times
And what technology products (consumer electronics) are made in the US any more? What cell phone should I buy next? TV? I'm in the market for a Blue-Ray player, which one is US made?

Old 02-07-2009, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZugZub View Post
Sorry, I'm going to go for quality first and price-savvy second. If what fits the bill is something foreign, then USA-based companies need to do a better job.
A lot of American companys do a good JOB and they are made by your countrymens hands. What fits the bill is that you support your country and community FRIEND. Or all of our quality of life goes in the toilet.

Old 02-07-2009, 09:09 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,741,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matzoman View Post
Yes I do understand that a lot of our economy is reliant on imports... More and more of our labor is being outsourced to China because of greedy corporations and inept unions, but we can do our part by buying American everything at a grass roots level. When you lose your job and you wonder why after you have been shopping at chinamart for the past 10 years you have no one to blame but your self for your iresponsible consumption habits. Try buying an American luxury car instead of leasing a big gaudy import SUV , cook your own food with local ingredients from your local farmers market, kick back with the family or friends and share some Napa or Sonoma California wine on your day off, a good bottle can be had for under 15 bucks. This country can be strong again if we all support one and other. Wall street is NOT to blame for EVERYTHING. WE are to blame if we dont get our azz in gear. PEACE.
buy american now it's the only way we will survive! !!!! in a world with [legal] slavery bring back the mom and pop system.. tell all your seneters to focus on the making and buying of american products and american energy.. cheap energy created this country and it will take cheap energy to recreat it!! buying american and creating new domestic cheap sustainible energy is the key to our long term survival

Old 02-07-2009, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
buy american now it's the only way we will survive! !!!! In a world with [legal] slavery bring back the mom and pop system.. Tell all your seneters to focus on the making and buying of american products and american energy.. Cheap energy created this country and it will take cheap energy to recreat it!! Buying american and creating new domestic cheap sustainible energy is the key to our long term survival
right on cruxan thats the spirit!

Old 02-07-2009, 09:21 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,097,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZugZub View Post
then USA-based companies need to do a better job.
Actually many of the things made in the U.S. are quite good but expensive, many of the things i have purchased in the past if you wanted the best you had to buy American. The issue is the U.S. population wants cheap junk and U.S. manufacturers cannot compete with foreign companies in that market. Instead of buying something that will last them a lifetime and make the initial investment they will instead but the cheap alternative that will only last for while.

I'm not suggesting foreign companies cannot make quality merchandise either, they are only supplying what everyone wants.

Old 02-07-2009, 09:26 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,554,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
And what technology products (consumer electronics) are made in the US any more? What cell phone should I buy next? TV? I'm in the market for a Blue-Ray player, which one is US made?
Some chips are made here for both cell phones & DVD's.

Old 02-07-2009, 09:34 PM

8,624 posts, read 9,096,110 times
I agree with you. I have decided to buy American or look for good used items. That way even if it was made in China, buying used goes back into our economy.ll the gifts I give are handmade or money for classes and sports.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates