Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2009, 11:56 AM

898 posts, read 1,403,039 times

Advertisements

What are your thoughts? It seems that we are better off when the presidency is held by one party and the congress is controlled by the other. Back when Bill Clinton was president, we had a bunch of Republican congress critters, and we had prosperity. Bush and Obama both start off with their own party in control and we have mediocrity and government expansion.

It seems, to keep government from growing, and to preserve liberty, it behooves us to keep the government divided amongst itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2009, 12:04 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,399,838 times
Well,

Clinton did start off with a Democratic majority in both houses, just like Obama did. After a disaterous first 2 years, the Republicans gained control of the house.

I don't think Republicans are going to gain majority in either house of Congress, but it is probable they'll gain filibuster power back in the Senate. I actually think thats a bad thing. In the house, you only needed to sway a few Republicans to your side to get a majority. In the Senate, you've got to have 60 votes to outpower a filibuster. Thats a big deal if you are 5 votes shy, and Republicans are the only ones you've got to turn to to get that done.

Historically, it does appear that when the Presidency is controlled by a different party than the Congress, things go better. Which is the remarkable thing about our political system, it seems to work best when both parties have to compromise. The danger is today, both parties seem to be dead set against anything the other party has to say, regardless of how good of an idea it is.

Old 12-03-2009, 12:04 PM

2,637 posts, read 4,466,020 times
With out a true balance of Power, we end up where we are now.---Truth fully, when we lost the "balance of Church and State" and replaced it with a Balance of Gubment and Corporations" we sealed out fate. ---as long as nothin but the bottom line is important, it's just a matter of time.

Old 12-03-2009, 02:45 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,312,275 times
It'd definitely be better if the Legislative and Executive branches were controlled by different parties. As long as the 'choices' are Conservative and Conservative Light there's no real reason to have parties.

Old 12-03-2009, 04:13 PM

898 posts, read 1,403,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
It'd definitely be better if the Legislative and Executive branches were controlled by different parties. As long as the 'choices' are Conservative and Conservative Light there's no real reason to have parties.
Funny... I considered the previous election to be Liberal (Obama) and Liberal light (McCain). Same with Kerry and Bush, and Gore and Bush. But then again, if I were to label myself, I'd say I'm a strict-constructionist with constitutional matters. So I really don't care for any of the parties out there.

Old 12-03-2009, 04:36 PM

3,786 posts, read 5,334,176 times
Yes, it is much better if there is gridlock in Congress and little gets passed. We need fewer laws, less meddling of the government in business (apart from necessary regulation), and government to be less attractive to the crooks and liars, errr..... lawyers, who tend to get into those positions. They would do well just to keep an eye out for infringements to our Constitutional rights. No need to change the Constitution (with more additions), just keep an eye out.

Old 12-03-2009, 04:44 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,065,499 times
Of course none of this makes any sense. Perhaps the thread would be better entitled, is it better when the legislature or the executive are controlled by different parties when either is controlled by the party that I am against.

Old 12-03-2009, 04:56 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,886,289 times
Each party is conrolled by speacil interest who pay for the support of any presdiental candaidte or senator or congressman. Not gib=ving etiher party ful control is IMo the best thing. What you endup with if you do is what we saw with teh stimulus;most of teh moeny went to those speacil interest ,not main street.For instance business contribute to both paries but mainly the republicans;wall street contributes to both. The trail lawyers are the democrats biggest contribuiers;thus you see no restrictions hurting the trail lawyers i any of their legislation so far including healthcare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates