Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 10:04 AM

1,777 posts, read 4,859,160 times

Advertisements

Should there be mandatory re-testing for drivers after a certain age?
What with failing eyesight, poor depth perception and slow reactions, are these drivers not a danger to everyone else and themselves?

I say every 5 years starting at 55 there ought to be eye and road testing, as well as a written test. I, for one am tired of having to avoid accidents caused by people who cannot see 10 feet in front of them.

Old 01-11-2010, 10:07 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Problem is that this affects senior citizens, and seniors typically vote in such numbers that a law like this would probably never get voted in.

Old 01-11-2010, 10:12 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,241,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBMallory View Post
What with failing eyesight, poor depth perception and slow reactions, are these drivers not a danger to everyone else and themselves?

I say every 5 years starting at 55 there ought to be eye and road testing, as well as a written test. I, for one am tired of having to avoid accidents caused by people who cannot see 10 feet in front of them.
In the past four years I have almost be run into three times while driving down the city streets...... And every time it was by someone I'd say that was no older than thirty five.. What kind of test do you suggest for them??????? Two of them were on their cell phones..

I forgot about the lady about forty that backed into me last week, YES backed into me... I couldn't back out of her way because there was someone behind me. Horn blowing and she just kept coming... What hell was the lady thinking?????

Old 01-11-2010, 10:25 AM

25,732 posts, read 18,809,520 times
Look at the stats. It's not gramma that's going to kill you. It's the cocky teen or twenty-something who thinks he's invincible and believes that neither the laws of physics or concept of statistics/risk management applies to him.

Personally, I'd enact a three strikes (citations: speeding tickets, wreckless driving, etc) you're out policy. You walk or ride a bike. And if you are caught behind the wheel after striking out, you go to jail. After your suspention is up, you go to mickey mouse school and learn how to drive like a responsible person with brains.

Old 01-11-2010, 10:35 AM

1,595 posts, read 2,987,422 times
I would be in favor of a periodic retesting but you can't specify an age. It should apply to everyone. This would be costly so perhaps only those that have had a moving violation or been involved in an accident since the last time they renewed their license.

Old 01-11-2010, 10:42 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J'aimeDesVilles View Post
perhaps only those that have had a moving violation or been involved in an accident since the last time they renewed their license.
You're right. This is a presumption-of-guilt issue. A licensed driver is presumed competent to drive unless there is compelling evidence to the contrary. And courts have ruled over and over again that driving is a right, not a privilege, which can be denied only for due cause.

Even a moving violation is no evidence of failing eyesight or reduced reaction,, which should be pretty obvious if you think about it. Do you think it is because people fail to see the speed limit sign?

However, if an accident investigation suggests age-related impairment of some faculties, then retesting is appropriate.

Sorry to disappoint, but under the constitution, even a murderer is allowed pursuit of happiness until he murders somebody.

Old 01-11-2010, 10:46 AM

1,777 posts, read 4,859,160 times
Don't know about your situation, but my wife was backed into by a guy in his 70s who swore up and down that because he'd been driving longer, it was her fault. Seems to me he needed his eyes examined. I have been rear ended by two seniors, by a 3rd that was pretty close to 50 and never caused an accident yet.

Old 01-11-2010, 10:51 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
I have been rear ended by two seniors
A friend of mine has been rear-ended by two different older people in the past year. Both times, the driver had hit the gas instead of the brakes when approaching a red light.

Old 01-11-2010, 11:07 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
I bet there aren't very many people over 60 who are talking on cellphones while they drive. If I look in my mirror, which do you think is scarier to see behind me: A guy in his 70s with a compass mounted on the dash, or a soccer mom gabbing on her phone or yelling at her kids or reprogramming her CD selections?

Old 01-11-2010, 11:18 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,191,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBMallory View Post

----" who cannot see 10 feet in front of them "--

My Minnesota drivers license has to be renewed every 4 years.
An eye test is given.

Is this not done in most states ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.