Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 10:59 AM

26,131 posts, read 19,087,034 times

Advertisements

The problem is partially the fault of the system. If the free honey were not hanging in a bucket under the tree, the bear would be out in the woods providing for itself.

What do you expect the bear to do? We need to motivate the bear by restricting the bucket. If the bear is truly in need, help it. If the bear, each day, lies down under the bucket and refuses to move until the bucket is filled, remove the bucket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2010, 11:25 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,745,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwalkr View Post
The two guys I know who are on unemployment are both NRA card-carrying fundamentalist conservatives. There is no problem for them to accept the benefit, but to this day they still rag on lazy tree-hugging liberals who draw the same benefit that they pay equally into. I asked one of the guys how his job hunting was going and he said the only hunting he's been doing is shooting some bucks! Apparently he's good at working the system by doing some online applications for positions he seemingly doesn't qualify for, getting no interviews, then calling it for the week. Oh yeah, he wants to vote for Sarah Palin next election.

Sorry, there are lazy asses in all political spectrum, and hard working folks as well, hard to believe, eh?
Was I advocating one candidate over another, or one political party rather than the other?

Old 03-19-2010, 11:32 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,745,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
Yeah but do you ever question the cost of the other things in your life? College, home, gadgets, phone, cable, furniture, guns, whatever. Apparently you are fine with all that, the only cost that appalls you is the taxes?
Hardly. And I think you know better.

One of my sons is in the process of buying a house - something I have done many times, because I buy, remodel and sell them as investments. The mortgage loan rigmarole is asinine. Partly because I'm helping them with a down-payment, I've spoken several times with their mortgage broker - questioning the ludicrous rules & regulations.

There are two things going on here:
1. Those of us who work hard, earn our way, and "play by the rules" are paying a VERY high price for those who do not!
2. Banks - those who were "bailed out" to the tune of billions of dollars (with taxpayer money!) - are turning right back around and absolutely screwing over their customers. It's worse than ever, and one reason is because our current Administration has former CitiGroup CEOs in charge of the Treasury Department.

Am I PO'd? Yes, royally!

Do I spend money VERY conservatively, including NOT spending on fancy gadgets, hi-def cable, etc.? Yes.

So don't patronize me.

Old 03-19-2010, 11:49 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,274,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
Funny you should say that. The guy who always seems to fill my public email inbox with the most ridiculous, crazy-far-right propaganda drew unemployment when he was laid off in early '09. It seemed hypocritical at first, but he was so mad about the portion of his paycheck that goes to unemployment benefits he felt like it was an opportunity to get some of his money back. He didn't need it - he was granted a very comfortable severance, is childless, unmarried and possesses a technical background that makes re-employment a near-term eventuality. The program should not cover people like him. He can't be faulted for collecting if offered, regardless of political alignment but the laws can be faulted for being fat, blind and stupid.
Where do you live that a worker pays an unemployment tax out of their pay? I've checked google and can't find any.. We don't in Texas... Only Employers pay it here...

Old 03-19-2010, 12:09 PM

1,921 posts, read 4,784,783 times
Quote:
No double standard. The law is stupid, period. You can't reasonably expect people to NOT take advantage of a stupid law.
I must be stupid not to take advantage of it then, since I worked hard to look for a job and only earned one unemployment check.

Old 03-19-2010, 12:09 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,242,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
The problem is partially the fault of the system. If the free honey were not hanging in a bucket under the tree, the bear would be out in the woods providing for itself.

What do you expect the bear to do? We need to motivate the bear by restricting the bucket. If the bear is truly in need, help it. If the bear, each day, lies down under the bucket and refuses to move until the bucket is filled, remove the bucket.
Chris,

Great point! I do feel we need to work on transitioning people away from dependency. I don't feel comfortable just pulling it away but we do need to do it.

Katrina was a great example of what happens when you take several generations of people and teach them that their survival is dependent on walking to the mailbox for a check. That is why I didn’t jump on the bandwagon with people who were blaming the victims. Many people had no clue how to leave, where to go and what to do. Many of them have never left the few blocks surrounding their house.

I am sorry but putting people in that position is not compassion to me. I don’t think creating dependence is compassionate at all.

Old 03-19-2010, 12:10 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,220,443 times
Quote:
I'm certainly not advocating "policing up" liberties with the government dole as is; that would truly be ridiculous. I'm saying burden taxpayers with less and reduce benefits. If far fewer people qualify for unemployment, welfare, etc. etc and for shorter periods of time, it suddenly becomes a lot harder to take advantage and a lot easier to police.
You're still throwing the baby out with the bathwater. You are denying a dozen or a hundred legitimate recipients of needed benefits, to discourage one person from trying to work the system.

Old 03-19-2010, 12:11 PM

29,980 posts, read 43,030,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
Can you call UI? UI only allows people to collect if they are actively looking for a job. And they only allow people to go to school under certain conditions.
Agreed, report his arse.

Old 03-19-2010, 12:12 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,846,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
Where do you live that a worker pays an unemployment tax out of their pay? I've checked google and can't find any.. We don't in Texas... Only Employers pay it here...
Well, you caught me asleep at the wheel but I think you can agree that the principal remains the same. Burdens on employers have a funny way of trickling down to employees and customers, wouldn't you agree?

Old 03-19-2010, 12:14 PM

29,980 posts, read 43,030,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Hardly. And I think you know better.

One of my sons is in the process of buying a house - something I have done many times, because I buy, remodel and sell them as investments. The mortgage loan rigmarole is asinine. Partly because I'm helping them with a down-payment, I've spoken several times with their mortgage broker - questioning the ludicrous rules & regulations.

There are two things going on here:
1. Those of us who work hard, earn our way, and "play by the rules" are paying a VERY high price for those who do not!
2. Banks - those who were "bailed out" to the tune of billions of dollars (with taxpayer money!) - are turning right back around and absolutely screwing over their customers. It's worse than ever, and one reason is because our current Administration has former CitiGroup CEOs in charge of the Treasury Department.

Am I PO'd? Yes, royally!

Do I spend money VERY conservatively, including NOT spending on fancy gadgets, hi-def cable, etc.? Yes.

So don't patronize me.
I'm, with ya! D*mn ready to "go Gault" here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates