Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 08:29 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,689,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
After 70 years of not working a day in my life and not paying a single penny in taxes, it's too late to start now.

Please, just once, see if you can contribute anything to a discussion. Cut and paste something written by somebody else, if you are completely incapable of coming up with anything on your own, but please, just once, see if you can express a thought that has any relevance to the topic. By the way, the rolleyes emoticon (the last resort of the cutesy moron) does not qualify as an expression of thoughtful opinion relevant to the topic. You are embarrassing all the rest of us, who think this is a serious debate forum.

And buy a new "Book of Insults". You're steady litany of the same old ones is getting tiresome.
Some things are self-evident. You included...

Here's how it works - in an anecdotal way: Personally, I pay over $4500 per year in property taxes, more than that in FICA and SS, as well as taxes on everything else that I purchase. When all the dust has settled, I pay well over $30,000 per year in taxes.

Meanwhile, my daughter has to absolutely bust her butt trying to pay for college, because both her parents actually work, and make "just enough" for her to get virtually nothing in FAFSA.

Then you have this lowlife - the one mentioned in the OP - who is a lazy, worthless parasite and will probably never do a productive thing his entire life. He is a drain on civilized society. He actually gets PAID to go to college, and gets PAID to NOT WORK.

Do you want to know who's paying for all this? It sure as heck isn't you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2010, 08:37 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,789,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1coolcustomer View Post
Sounds to me like he may be dabbling in the grey area of fraud, but not enough info. Hey, he doesn't make the rules , he's just playing by them. If he gets an education and goes on to get a good job he'll be paying his taxes.

Guys like him don't bother me near as much as the revolving door criminals who drain our system costing tax dollars for police to catch them, public defenders to defend them and 3 hots and a cot + medical care to house them.
This is essentially what I was going to say. This guy taking advantage of unemployment benefits isn't the P.O.S., the legislator who wrote the program that enables him is the P.O.S.

Old 03-19-2010, 08:46 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,689,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
This is essentially what I was going to say. This guy taking advantage of unemployment benefits isn't the P.O.S., the legislator who wrote the program that enables him is the P.O.S.
Actually, they BOTH are highly qualified to bear the title, POS!

We both know which POS this unemployed POS is going to vote for in the next election.

Old 03-19-2010, 09:20 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,022,277 times
Quote:
Have you ever heard of the law of diminishing returns? Do you know how much it would cost you whining taxpayers to tighten up the system to a zero-tolerance level, and ferret out every single instance of abuse? Every working system that deals with human beings has to allow for a certain number of people who will find ways to abuse it, and it makes economic sense to live with it, rather than over-police it.

The legislators who wrote the program have taken into account the loopholes and made reasonable accommodations for minimizing them, within a practical budget for scrutiny.

Every retail store has an allowance for shrinkage, because they know the cost would be prohibitive to try to reduce pilferage and shoplifting to absolute zero. It's cheaper to allow it than to police it.

Last edited by jtur88; 03-19-2010 at 09:29 AM..

Old 03-19-2010, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Have you ever heard of the law of diminishing returns? Do you know how much it would cost you whining taxpayers to tighten up the system to a zero-tolerance level, and ferret out every single instance of abuse? Every working system that deals with human beings has to allow for a certain number of people who will find ways to abuse it, and it makes economic sense to live with it, rather than over-police it.

The legislators who wrote the program have taken into account the loopholes and made reasonable accommodations for minimizing them, within a practical budget for scrutiny.

Every retail store has an allowance for shrinkage, because they know the cost would be prohibitive to try to reduce pilferage and shoplifting to absolute zero. It's cheaper to allow it than to police it.
I'm certainly not advocating "policing up" liberties with the government dole as is; that would truly be ridiculous. I'm saying burden taxpayers with less and reduce benefits. If far fewer people qualify for unemployment, welfare, etc. etc and for shorter periods of time, it suddenly becomes a lot harder to take advantage and a lot easier to police. Further, it shouldn't be better to live on cheese than to work 60 hour weeks at a base minimum wage job.

Then you are spending a lot less money on frivolous and often fraudulent cases that could be allocated to something like, I dunno, social security or medicare.

By the way, have you noticed the little disclaimer on your social security statement?

Old 03-19-2010, 10:27 AM

1,921 posts, read 4,776,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Actually, they BOTH are highly qualified to bear the title, POS!

We both know which POS this unemployed POS is going to vote for in the next election.

The two guys I know who are on unemployment are both NRA card-carrying fundamentalist conservatives. There is no problem for them to accept the benefit, but to this day they still rag on lazy tree-hugging liberals who draw the same benefit that they pay equally into. I asked one of the guys how his job hunting was going and he said the only hunting he's been doing is shooting some bucks! Apparently he's good at working the system by doing some online applications for positions he seemingly doesn't qualify for, getting no interviews, then calling it for the week. Oh yeah, he wants to vote for Sarah Palin next election.

Sorry, there are lazy asses in all political spectrum, and hard working folks as well, hard to believe, eh?

Old 03-19-2010, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwalkr View Post
The two guys I know who are on unemployment are both NRA card-carrying fundamentalist conservatives. There is no problem for them to accept the benefit, but to this day they still rag on lazy tree-hugging liberals who draw the same benefit that they pay equally into. I asked one of the guys how his job hunting was going and he said the only hunting he's been doing is shooting some bucks! Apparently he's good at working the system by doing some online applications for positions he seemingly doesn't qualify for, getting no interviews, then calling it for the week. Oh yeah, he wants to vote for Sarah Palin next election.

Sorry, there are lazy asses in all political spectrum, and hard working folks as well, hard to believe, eh?
Funny you should say that. The guy who always seems to fill my public email inbox with the most ridiculous, crazy-far-right propaganda drew unemployment when he was laid off in early '09. It seemed hypocritical at first, but he was so mad about the portion of his paycheck that goes to unemployment benefits he felt like it was an opportunity to get some of his money back. He didn't need it - he was granted a very comfortable severance, is childless, unmarried and possesses a technical background that makes re-employment a near-term eventuality. The program should not cover people like him. He can't be faulted for collecting if offered, regardless of political alignment but the laws can be faulted for being fat, blind and stupid.

Old 03-19-2010, 10:37 AM

1,921 posts, read 4,776,955 times
Quote:
Funny you should say that. The guy who always seems to fill my public email inbox with the most ridiculous, crazy-far-right propaganda drew unemployment when he was laid off in early '09. It seemed hypocritical at first, but he was so mad about the portion of his paycheck that goes to unemployment benefits he felt like it was an opportunity to get some of his money back.
YES! That's the same excuse used and how it's justified, whereas someone with a left-leaning is automatically presumed to be a typical leech! I don't know where the distinction is, I guess why settle for a single standard when you can have double...

Old 03-19-2010, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwalkr View Post
YES! That's the same excuse used and how it's justified, whereas someone with a left-leaning is automatically presumed to be a typical leech! I don't know where the distinction is, I guess why settle for a single standard when you can have double...
No double standard. The law is stupid, period. You can't reasonably expect people to NOT take advantage of a stupid law.

Old 03-19-2010, 10:47 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,141,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Some things are self-evident. You included...

Here's how it works - in an anecdotal way: Personally, I pay over $4500 per year in property taxes, more than that in FICA and SS, as well as taxes on everything else that I purchase. When all the dust has settled, I pay well over $30,000 per year in taxes.

Meanwhile, my daughter has to absolutely bust her butt trying to pay for college, because both her parents actually work, and make "just enough" for her to get virtually nothing in FAFSA.

Then you have this lowlife - the one mentioned in the OP - who is a lazy, worthless parasite and will probably never do a productive thing his entire life. He is a drain on civilized society. He actually gets PAID to go to college, and gets PAID to NOT WORK.

Do you want to know who's paying for all this? It sure as heck isn't you!
Yeah but do you ever question the cost of the other things in your life? College, home, gadgets, phone, cable, furniture, guns, whatever. Apparently you are fine with all that, the only cost that appalls you is the taxes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates