Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 04:59 AM

3,756 posts, read 9,553,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiery23 View Post
Seriously, affirmative action needs to go. It may have started off with good intentions, but it has simply become a way of giving preferential treatment to under-qualified minorities. What ever happened to rewarding the most qualified candidates--regardless of their race??

Agreed. The best qualified candidate for the job. No lowering standards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2010, 03:15 PM

152 posts, read 117,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
There's a half truth in this. Although Africans were full participants in the African slave trade, in no way shape or form are they responsible for the instituion of racism that evolved in the United States. That is the responsibility and the burden of the United Statesn and only the United States.

What exactly does that have to do with the United States?

What does slavery in Africa have to do with slavery in the United States?
Listen up. Slavery was an institution world wide up to the point of the Industrialized Revolution. Every continent every race as both slave and enslaver. It was "how things were done" before mechanization. It wasn't pretty, it wasn't good, but it WAS, and still IS in some places.

All African slavery in the U.S. started with African slavery in Africa. The record is clear. It was an existing market we tapped into, but did not start.

You act as if the only slavery in the world was here. BS. There is absolutely no question that the LEAST amount of slavery on any major continent was on this one, all the rest had far more. The only exception I can think of is Australia.

So I offer people should be off of there high-horses. Slavery in Africa was extended into the U.S. by the slave trade. It could not have existed without it.

Old 03-26-2010, 03:44 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,009,771 times
Quote:
Listen up. Slavery was an institution world wide up to the point of the Industrialized Revolution. Every continent every race as both slave and enslaver. It was "how things were done" before mechanization. It wasn't pretty, it wasn't good, but it WAS, and still IS in some places.
Sounds like rationalizing. I guess since, genocide and rape are "institutions" that occurred throughout history then those behaviors are acceptable.

Quote:
All African slavery in the U.S. started with African slavery in Africa. The record is clear. It was an existing market we tapped into, but did not start.
Again, what does slavery in Africa have to do with the evolution of racism in the United States? WHy are you suggesting that African slave traders are somehow responsible for the modalities that contributed to racism here in the U.S.?
Quote:

You act as if the only slavery in the world was here. BS. There is absolutely no question that the LEAST amount of slavery on any major continent was on this one, all the rest had far more. The only exception I can think of is Australia.
I NEVER brought slavery up

All you have done is attempt to minimize it here to rationalize whatever guilt you've inherited.

Quote:
So I offer people should be off of there high-horses. Slavery in Africa was extended into the U.S. by the slave trade. It could not have existed without it.
My point remains. The slave trade that involved Africa bears no respionsibility with the racism that was practiced in the United States. So I guess if I buy flour to make my own cake, then the company that sold me the flour is responsible for making the cake? Even if I put all of the ingredients together myself with my own recipe?

Old 03-26-2010, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Sounds like rationalizing. I guess since, genocide and rape are "institutions" that occurred throughout history then those behaviors are acceptable.

What an idiotic thing to say. Neither rap or genocide or Institutions. You are so anxious to win your assinine phyric victory, truth is irrelevant to you, by your own words>

Again, what does slavery in Africa have to do with the evolution of racism in the United States? WHy are you suggesting that African slave traders are somehow responsible for the modalities that contributed to racism here in the U.S.?

I NEVER brought slavery up

All you have done is attempt to minimize it here to rationalize whatever guilt you've inherited.

How would I have any guilt whatsoever.

I don't think taken into context of the history of slavery across the world it was much of a big deal. It was far better than being a galley slave on a ship, or building the great wall of china, etc. I am sick and tired of America haters singling America out as evil for participating in an institution that was accepted across time and geography.

Get over it, or won't your obvious hatred of the U.S., and please don't even try to deny it for your words drip of it, prevents you.

My point remains. The slave trade that involved Africa bears no respionsibility with the racism that was practiced in the United States. So I guess if I buy flour to make my own cake, then the company that sold me the flour is responsible for making the cake? Even if I put all of the ingredients together myself with my own recipe?
Your examples are just plain silly. My point is we didn't enslave the blacks that came here, they were already slaves, at the hand of their own brethren.

Old 03-27-2010, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaDominadora View Post
Racism hasn't disappeared from society. The purpose of AA was to open up a few doors for minorities (including white females) who would not be allowed in even with the qualifications.

I am old enough to remember the days when no matter how talented a minority was or a woman they were NOT allowed to apply for the position. Some newspapers even advertised jobs based on race thus if you were not white, you could not apply for jobs even with the right credentials.

It would be wonderful if employers were color/gender blind but they aren't. It would be a wonderful world. But even with AA discrimination still persists because employers are NOT required to hire a quota of minority individuals. All employers must do under AA laws, is make an attempt to advertise the jobs so people of all races/genders can apply. No employer or university is required to admit minorities especially medical schools in which skill/talent is a MUST.

However, there is a secret AA program for those who come from wealthy families such as the Kennedys or the Hiltons. So many slots are reserved for wealthy kids whether they have the requirements or not. If a Kennedy wants to attend Harvard or Yale they are guaranteed a space. This is the AA nobody ever talks about. If your family is rich you can work or go to school anywhere you want, no questions asked.
Having lived all over the world, and all over the U.S. in a bi-racial marriage etc., I can tell you that America is one of the least-racist countries on earth. Try to be black in Japan, or even Korean in Japan.

Also, in the U.S., the most racially-accepting of the resident races is the white race. Heck, my in-laws are all white, and they accept me without batting an eye.

Also, in my experience, the MOST RACIST race in the U.S. is the negroid race. Their lives, especially, their political life, revolve around their race, promoting it at the expense of thers etc., You can be dollars to donuts that when the race card has been played, it just left the hands of a negroid player.

Witness the despicable act put on my a member of the Congressional Black Caucus who like about the work "******" being hurled at them by members of a Tea Party as they walked by. One journalist, Breitbart, I think, offered $10,000 for a video of such an emenation, but it has gone, of course, uncollected.

BTW, how incredibly racist is it just to have a racially-oriented caucus anyway. You don't see an Asian-caucus or a Caucasian caucus do you?

Anerica trips over itself to not be racist, but two groups, one especially, don't seem to get it. Shame on them.

MahiAhiOno

Old 03-27-2010, 05:38 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,009,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahiahiono View Post
Your examples are just plain silly. My point is we didn't enslave the blacks that came here, they were already slaves, at the hand of their own brethren.
Again bringing up slavery when it was never germane to the topic to begin with. (plus you're trying to use "big " words that you don't know the meanings to)

You have still failed miserably to explain how African slave traders are remotely responsible for Jim Crow.

Old 03-28-2010, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Again bringing up slavery when it was never germane to the topic to begin with. (plus you're trying to use "big " words that you don't know the meanings to)

You have still failed miserably to explain how African slave traders are remotely responsible for Jim Crow.
Jim Crow was the responsibiity of Mr. and Mrs Crow who did the wild thing one night in their bungalow. Nine months later, out came little jimmy Crow. They considered naming him Raven, but settled on Jim.

I agree, using grown up words with you is a waste.

Affirmative Racism is Racism, and does nothing constructive and everything destructive.

Thank me.

MahiAhiOno

Old 03-29-2010, 06:13 PM

78,388 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahiahiono View Post
Having lived all over the world, and all over the U.S. in a bi-racial marriage etc., I can tell you that America is one of the least-racist countries on earth. Try to be black in Japan, or even Korean in Japan.

MahiAhiOno
Very very true.

Probably the saddest\funniest thing I've seen in a long time was during the Democratic primaries with Hillary vs. Obama.

Obama got 90% of the black vote in MS, and exit polls asking if race played a major factor in the decision were something like 55% for obama voters.

Then Hillary won WV and everyone started screaming about the white racist rednecks in WV that wouldn't vote for a black man.

Old 03-29-2010, 08:10 PM

5 posts, read 6,399 times
To those of you who are opposed to affirmative action in today's society:

Was affirmative action helpful/effective/necessary when it began in 1964? For women? For minorities? How so or why not? If yes, what in your opinion has changed to make AA no longer necessary?

Several people have suggested that affirmative action in today's society should be based on income. If this were the case, would your position about affirmative action change? Why or why not?

Old 03-29-2010, 08:39 PM

44 posts, read 54,667 times
Nope. There is no need for it. You can't really stop a person for not letting another person into a university or in the business place just because of their race. People should be hired and accepted because of their skills and not their race. If some employer doesn't want a certain race of people working there then that's okay. I would not be offended. It is entirely their decision of who they want to hire. If the employer only wants to hire people of a certain race, there's not really much anyone can do. Some people just need to learn to get over it, stop blaming others for their problems, and just move on with their lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates