Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 05:17 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,812,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
Read my link above, you will think differently.
I did read it and agree there can be some cultural influences.

However, I still disagree that you can claim to *know* how a person will behave based on their heritage. This study found a correlation in a small geographic area using a small number of people. Would that correclation stand up when applied to larger populations over larger areas? I don't know.

I just think anytime we start to assume we know a group of people based on our limited experiences with some we perceive belong to that group, nothing good results.

Old 03-29-2010, 05:18 PM

155 posts, read 283,189 times
you can never put one whole race in one category
don't be simple minded

Old 03-29-2010, 05:27 PM

548 posts, read 1,252,175 times
I don't think it's racist, I find it rather amusing when I go to a movie theater with many black people and they are talking loudly. Just as it's hilarious when I go to a nightclub with mostly white people and no one is dancing on beat. lol

Old 03-29-2010, 05:29 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,217,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
I did read it and agree there can be some cultural influences.

However, I still disagree that you can claim to *know* how a person will behave based on their heritage. This study found a correlation in a small geographic area using a small number of people. Would that correclation stand up when applied to larger populations over larger areas? I don't know.

I just think anytime we start to assume we know a group of people based on our limited experiences with some we perceive belong to that group, nothing good results.

Of course you can't "know" for sure how people will act but you can get a good idea about trends. As that report showed it is a chemical reaction for southerners, where northerners had no reaction. I wish the whole chapter was there, it is a fascinating story.

I do know I won’t be calling a southerner an A hole any time soon. :-)
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Old 03-29-2010, 05:31 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,217,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYchi View Post
I don't think it's racist, I find it rather amusing when I go to a movie theater with many black people and they are talking loudly. Just as it's hilarious when I go to a nightclub with mostly white people and no one is dancing on beat. lol
Go to Disneyland and sit in one of the musicals, you will find people clapping to about 6 different non-existent beats, it is a crack up, I wonder what some people hear. I dance on beat BTW!

Old 03-29-2010, 06:24 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,014,195 times
How many "racial groups" do we have?

Old 03-29-2010, 11:45 PM

380 posts, read 962,153 times
Cultural relativism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-30-2010, 07:19 AM

7,732 posts, read 12,628,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by facts101 View Post
Some racial groups are more excitable than others. You see it everyday. Some groups are louder than others, some groups never act modest, some groups just behave more dramatically than others and seem to be dominated by their emotions. This is not even noticable in the USA. In Europe as a general rule, the further south you go, the more of this you see. Why?
Stop beating around the bush. You know your talking about black people so why are you trying to front?

For the record, yes, I believe what you said. Some races are in fact louder, more dramatic, and exciting than others. Stereotypes are always based on some form of truth!

Old 03-30-2010, 10:51 AM

680 posts, read 1,384,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
...there can be some cultural influences.

However, I still disagree that you can claim to *know* how a person will behave based on their heritage....
You are pointing out the fundamental mistake that many people make about correlations. A positive correlation can be very small but still show up as statistically significant. You probably know that already but most people don't seem to get it.

The statistical difference for cultural behavior is probably fairly large, based on my own observations. The classic stereotype of the Italian family having a raucous time at the dinner table, vs. the staid formal attitudes of Nordic peoples, probably holds true for a typical (average) family from each culture. However, one can always find loud and crazy Scandinavians and subdued Italians. Thus, we cannot predict how an individual case will behave simply based on averages for a group.

In general it seems like the most rowdy people are from mid or subtropical latitudes. This makes sense. In extreme cold or extreme humid heat, people would tend to be bogged down by simply trying to cope. Especially in very cold climates, there's a tendency for people to go inward, to read more, spend more time indoors... but, on the other hand, there is generally a lot more drinking (booze) in colder climates and that leads to the rowdy side of behavior. Except in Russia, where it just seems to make people depressed and isolated.

Old 03-30-2010, 10:55 AM

680 posts, read 1,384,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaveGal View Post
you can never put one whole race in one category
That's for sure. If the OP is talking about race then it's absurd. Culture is what matters here. Africans with identical ancestry to African-Americans are far more subdued in behavior. If you watch how an African immigrant behaves around African-Americans, it's usually awkward and they don't relate very well. I've noticed that most Africans tend to get along better with white people than they do with people of their own race here in the States.

The behavioral differences are purely cultural, nothing to do with race.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates